Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered new speakers for my WRX. MB Quart components and Rockford Fosgate coaxials rated at 60W RMS and 120W peak. Does anyone know how much power the stock (upgraded) amplifier puts out (RMS)? Can the stock amp drive these speakers effectively or do I risk damaging the speakers or amp?

Also, I've seen Precision Power Amplifiers driving subwoofers in WRXs. These only accept a 4V RCA input. Did someone figure out how to get a good pre-out signal from the stock head unit?
I really like the stock six-disc changer and I don't plan on replacing it.

-Jim

·
Registered
4 Posts
first off, there is no way in hell you can even come close to making a good pre amp signal come from you stock headunit. the quality of the stock system leaves much to be desired, even if you used a line output converter the signal will be so bad that all the music will sound like crap no matter how good the amps are. using the stock "upgraded" amp you dont risk anything other than poor sound quality, speakers cant correct for poor signal. when using that amp or any amp. wattage doesn't blow speakers, distortion does. and you can never underdrive a speaker which will be the case with the setup you are doing. i can assure you that the stock speakers cant handle more that 50 watts max. so you should be fine with the new ones, but dont expect a world of difference. the key to having a good system starts at the source of the music. break the bank and get a nice headunit.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NateDogg,

Before I "break the bank and get a nice headunit," can you recommend any six-disc changers with cassette that fit into the stock location on the 2002 WRX?

-Jim

·
Registered
4 Posts
unfortunatly to my knowlege no one makes an in-dash 6 disc unit. however you can get a nice single cd player and ad a 6 or 12 disc changer for probably around another 100 to 200 bucks. and if you dont want to mount the changer in the trunk you can put it in the glove box, or in the armrest, under the seats (be creative there are lots of options) i personaly like Kenwood they offer the best quality at the lowest price. and i think they have a double din unit that will take up the space where your radio sits now, the double dins offr a cd and cassette deck.

Nate

·
Registered
73 Posts
Nakamich MB-75

hey platinum, this is a six disc single din CD receiver, made my Nakamichi MB-75 https://www.onlinecarstereo.com/caraudio/product.asp?sku=11683

very high quality and i've read nothing but good reviews. They also make a couple single din changers that could be mated to a head unit, as the opening in teh WRX is double din.

·
Registered
62 Posts
i have heard that not all line converters are the same....i have heard that crutchfield sells a pretty decent one....my recommendation would be to keep the stock head unit, buy the line converters or amps with built-in line converters (sony...the newer red ones)....check the car stereo newsgroups and call crutchfield....check the i-club site as well.......i have a friend that put together a system where he ran his speaker level sends from his head unit directly into his amps (the amps were designed to accept speaker level)....this allowed him to remove his amps and sub box from the hatchback area and reconnect the speakers directly to the head unit....giving him a low power system whenever he needed to use the hatchback area......he set it up so he could snap a pigtail connector of sorts on and the speaker level send would connect to the speakers.........sounded great....this was a highly researched project and the craftsmanship was first rate.......i need to get some pictures of it....best of luck....keep us posted on what you do:cool:

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
the double din of my dreams. matches the stock rex interior well too.

Pioneer Double Din

but it IS a little over a G, so more realistically, you should check out getting a single din changer (in dash) and a nice single din deck.

In Dash Changer
Deck

that sweet blaupunkt setup is under $500, and its all nice quality equipment. (i'm a BP fan)

as far as the quality of the signal from the deck, very little is lost through a standard converter. BOSS systems have used them for years with their products, and even in their competition class audio. a digital signal is a digital signal. some is lost in the transfer, but you'll be very happy with the quality of the MB's and the stock unit. the sound will be a world better than before, and unless you are going for audio competitions you'll be fine.
Hell, most people won't even get to dynamatting their car even if they have subs!

$0.02

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After careful consideration and advisement, I am going to save my money and after adding some more performance mods to my Platinum drag car, I'll put in a JL Audio 4-channel amp to drive my new speakers and keep my stock sub woofer. This way I'll only be adding a couple of pounds to my car and I should have excellent sound for my purposes. I'm not a huge fan of bass nor adding a hundred pounds of audio equipment to my trunk!

-Jim

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the Eclipse 6-disc changer and tape deck/changer controller in my Celica. I loved that changer, but I actually like the Sube's stock unit better, just cause it accepts and ejects CDs so much faster. It was really annoying to hit eject, wait 10 seconds, pull out the CD, hit load, wait 20 seconds, put in the CD. And it would barf it out if you stuck in the CD early! Yech.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I also really like the stock head unit. I have my new speakers, but they are still in the boxes, unfortunately. :mad:

We'll see how it sounds with MB Quarts in the stock locations.

-Jim

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Jim,

I'll give my $0.02 worth.... I put Pioneer in-dash CD (single DIN) with a 12-disc changer under the passenger seat. I went with the Pioneer primarily because it's so small. My friend (the one with a '01 Eclipse Spyder who gives me good video links) and I put the 6-disk version under his passenger seat in a Saturn (4-door). It was a tight fit, but worth it since it's so easy to swap out disk magazines. These were older model Pioneers, so I don't know if the newer ones would still fit. Just thought I'd pass it along.

Rod

1 - 11 of 11 Posts