Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that someone said that it is as fast as a Porche 911 Turbo I think?? I was wondering how much hp they pump out and an estimate for 0-60 and 1/4 times. Even estimates are welcome! Thanks!

·
Re-Addicted to WRX
952 Posts
i believe [and this is a guess] that WR cars are capped at around 500 hp, if not a little less...?!:confused:

0-60 times ____________?

·
Registered
178 Posts
WRCars are capped at 300HP... But they have massive amounts of Torque like twice as much as yours or my car...

The tested Possum Bournes old WRC coupe a couple of years back and it did 0 - 62 in 3.8 seconds (ON GRAVEL)!!!

And guessed it would do the quater in 11's, but its gearbox was to close to get him a good time... (6th got him to 180kmh)

·
Re-Addicted to WRX
952 Posts
oh there you go then...i had not idea the hp was so low...that is cool that they engineer the car for torque!

·
Registered
178 Posts
To cap the power they all have to run a 34mm restrictor on the inlet side of the turbo...

HP is restricted because it cant get enough air... but torque can be made in all types of different ways...

I have heard they run crazy levels of boost, but Ive never found out if its true... They are kinda tight lipped...:D

·
Re-Addicted to WRX
952 Posts
well...trade secrets and all, wouldn't want to give the competition any ideas would they! is there a displacement regulation?

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
the acceleration and top speed in WRC depends on the tranny you have in. Every rally has different specs and requires different gear ratios. The lowest are put for tarmac rallies like Corsica or San Remo.
Little storie: During these 2 rallies mentioned above, the brakes are used so excesively that they get wormed up to more than 900degrees Celsius :eek3:

·
Registered
473 Posts
The diffs are what are known as active diffs. Limited slip with an electrohydraulically controlled clutch. They dynamically adjust the torque split to each corner in real time in order to optimize traction and cornerling. That's how they can throw the car into those wild slides and still save it. They adjust the control software depending on the course and the driver's driving style. It's the trickiest part of a WRC car, and the main reason for the failure of the Skoda Fabia and the old Lancer WRC.

·
Registered
28 Posts
WRXJIM said:
The tested Possum Bournes old WRC coupe a couple of years back and it did 0 - 62 in 3.8 seconds (ON GRAVEL)!!!
Pssh, that's nothing. The Lancia Delta S4 could do it in 2.9 seconds. And it once lapped the Portugese F1Gp track in a time quick enough to secure 6th on the Gp F1 grid.

Group B cars were awesome.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I was watchin WRC coverage last year, can't remember the place...but I do remember what the announcers were jabbering about.

Seems the peugot 206 car makes something like 550-580 ft/lbs of torque. That'll get a light car off the line in a hurry eh?

·
Re-Addicted to WRX
952 Posts
this is a cool thread...

so if the displacement is limited along with flow to the turbo, how do they crank out so much torque?

extremely high boost...what else?

·
Registered
424 Posts
If I had my pick of an actual "racecar" to drive everyday on the street, I would by far take a WRC over NASCAR, Superbike, F1, or GT1,2 cars. Those things would OWN on the streets!

-jason

·
Registered
146 Posts
two classes in WRC 1) 1.6 liter capped around 200hp 2) 2.0 liter capped at 300hp.

If you have games like Colin McRae Rally or some other simulation WRC games, they have the specs on those games.

the most memorable moment in WRC: Toyota got caught cheating w/ their Celica.
:D

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,726 Posts
aj7897 said:
Pssh, that's nothing. The Lancia Delta S4 could do it in 2.9 seconds. And it once lapped the Portugese F1Gp track in a time quick enough to secure 6th on the Gp F1 grid.
Yes, in the hands of the late Henri Toivonen (it should be noted that Henri had GrC experience in a Porsche 956, and that -- ironically -- his switch to rallying was due to safety concerns).

There's an interesting WRC vs. GrB specs list here:

http://www.stormloader.com/groupb/comparison.html

Note that the Lancia Delta S4 used a Volumex supercharger and a KKK turbo (about the size of a ceiling fan...) to produce what's claimed as 360 kW, but in reality power could exceed 400 kW.

On the other hand torque is listed as "only" 490 Nm for the Lancia, vs. 550 Nm for a Ford Focus (assume a Subaru makes about the same numbers as the Focus).

So a modern WRC car makes more torque though less power than a GrB monster. On today's stages, the WRC car would be quicker. On more open stages (as seen in the savage 1980s...) the GrB car would be much faster (until it killed someone).

Progress...

·
Registered
362 Posts
brembo said:
I was watchin WRC coverage last year, can't remember the place...but I do remember what the announcers were jabbering about.

Seems the peugot 206 car makes something like 550-580 ft/lbs of torque. That'll get a light car off the line in a hurry eh?
That sounds accurate. I remember hearing that and thought it was impossible:eek:

Does the Anti-lag help with the huge torque numbers?

JH

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
yes the anti-lag helps alot but is one of the main reasons why engine gets killed after about 500km of Special Stages.

·
Re-Addicted to WRX
952 Posts
yes...that and the 500km of special stages...

what else in the mechanics would cause such high torque numbers despite hp restrictions...?:confused:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts