Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically I'd like to ask the question "how much power can I make reliably"...but I figure that the car can reliably make more power than the stock clutch can hold. Therefore the stock one would need to be replaced before adding more power. How much power would that be assuming that I would NEVER power shift or drop the clutch?

Also what options are there for upgrading/strengthening the tranny?

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Hobbzz,

I don't have a straight number answer for you, but I know that once you get to a certain level a stock clutch just won't hold. Dan (whitewag on nasioc) dyno'ed 360+whp @ turboxs and had trouble with clutch slipping at the strip. He replaced his clutch with an ACT clutch IIRC, and then proceeded to break his tranny the next time at the track. Not fun to be sitting in the stands at GLD and see a subie not move from the launch.

I'd post something in the midwest forum (and probably the transmission forum) on nasioc and ask for input. There are a few local guys with experiences that they could probably share. Jorge will know something about cryo treating of your transmission/diffs.

Jay
ps-good cooking at the thanksgiving thing, by the way

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the compliment! Yeah I think like the first 10 people through the line were using the pumpkin soup as gravy!:D So we had to straighten that out:D . I was there when Dan busted his trans. I asked Jorge and somehow Dan broke 1st and 2nd gears...weird. 360 at the wheels!:eek: Wow I didn't think it would be that much...do you know which PE turbo he is running? I'm basically trying to decide between an APS SR30 or SR40. And the SR40 flows more than an 1820. Looks like I might be going with the SR30:D . Thakns for the info...I'll ask Jorge about the tranny!

Brent

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
About 250HP for hard launch. This also depends on which clutch you have. The one put in before June of 2001 or the newer version. The newer one is reputed to hold less torque. You should also be thinking about torque numbers instead of HP. Let's put it this way: about 15-20 hard launches spaced out normally (not like I did before) with a VF30 on stock fuel and ECU will bring the stock clutch to it's knees. It's starting to slip pretty bad by then.

-Jim

·
Registered
50 Posts
i did about 40 hard launches (4k+) in 1/4, and my flywheel and clutch plate were finished.... i had to replace them

my car is bone stock :p

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I've got 87 1/4 mile passes in 6 months. The car is just starting to be "finnicky" at launch on the strip. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts