Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, how much oil do you folks burn off btween changes? i just checked my oil today, and the line was at the L mark. does that mean add a quart? i put about half a quart in, and i'l check it later. so far, i've been using dyno oil, i got 5000 miles, and on my last change (3kmiles) i was down about 1 1/2 quarts. What about the rest of you? am i burning too much?

·
Banned
601 Posts
I've been using mobil one 10w 30 every 5000 miles, with no noticeable amount of oil loss between changes. I get some in my oil catch can(very little) but that's about it....

peace

·
Registered
74 Posts
Same here Mobil 1 10w 30 and I notice no lost in between changes been using it since 1700 miles in the 03. Make sure you are on a level piece of ground when checking the oil.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hhmmmm, i don't like the sound of that. for my 1st 1000 miles, i was under the impression to keep the motor under 3000 rpm most of the time:eek:
is that too much pussy-footing for a proper break-in?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I followed proper breakin procedures I was just stating I had been using the synthetic since first oil chang.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have 2003 WRX Wagon with 15,000 miles on it. I use about a quart of oil every 4000-5000 miles. It seems that my car uses more oil running the highway at 3200-3400 rpm than it does commuting to work where I drive 40 -55 mph with a little traffic.

My last car was a 1995 BMW 318ti. I used about a quart of oil every 2000 miles.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I never noticed any oil loss, except when I didn't have a torque wrench at the time, and I was too scared that I would strip it and I didnt do it enough, but I only lost maybe 5ml I guess, it was just a small stain on my drive way.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I'm still in low mile territory, only a couple oil changes in, and I use 10w30 Mobil 1, and so far I'm not burning any substantive oil at the moment.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I use Castrol syntec 10w30 since the first change and I use about 1 - 1.5qts. between a 3000mi oil change interval. I try to start monitoring it a couple weeks after I change it, so I can add more when it gets low. I've found it where the dipstick didn't have any oil on it!

-jason

·
Banned
601 Posts
could be the oil you're using, or maybe an oil leak in the turbo? I'd check to see if the inside of the intercooler is oil free and the front of the turbo isn't black... I wouldn't think it's cause you were to much of a pussy when you were breaking your car in:).

peace

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
RexMobbin' said:
hey, how much oil do you folks burn off btween changes? i just checked my oil today, and the line was at the L mark. does that mean add a quart? i put about half a quart in, and i'l check it later. so far, i've been using dyno oil, i got 5000 miles, and on my last change (3kmiles) i was down about 1 1/2 quarts. What about the rest of you? am i burning too much?

Mine hasn't burned any. solid line all the time at full.
Dude you may want to check your oil levels after oil changes. Sometimes when you take it to a shop, they base how much oil to put into your engine, by 4, 6, or 8 cylinders. And they'll put the same thing on all corresponding (like 4qts for 4cyl, 4.5 for 6, 5 for 8cyl etc, just an example). Around here they're not that careful with specifications. Doing it yourself , make sure you have no leaks. No smoke coming out the back. and make sure once you change the oil. next morning before turning it on. Your car parked in a flat level surface, check the oil. Cause it will probably need some, since it finally sits all the way down, plus oil sitting in the oil filter and all that. I usually check the next day, if it needs some I'll add till the full mark. then check every 500 miles to see if it went down.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
okay, so if i do have oil in the IC, what does that mean, and how would i fix that? a catch can? i've noticed no funny smoke, no leaks, no smells, just missing oil. i put a 1/2 qt in yesterday, im gonna check the stick this morning.

·
Banned
601 Posts
a catch can might help. I'd think you'd still be losing the oil, but into the catch can.. If there aren't any leaks, everything is workin fine, and there is no oil in the intercooler, I'd start by changing the brand of oil, and maybe the thickness. Thicker oil will most likely last longer.....

peace

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm using 5W30 pretty much all year round. Winters down to -10, summers up to 110F. is that not wise? maybe thicker for the winter?

·
Banned
601 Posts
Usually, people use thicker oil during the summer:). I used 5w30 for the first 10000miles of my car, and changed to 10w30 after that(year round). I had no problem with the 5w30 either though. Um, when you dump the oil out, there are a lot of oil lines that might be emptied. When you add the oil back into the engine, the oil lines might not fill back up till you run the car for a bit. If you check the level of the oil b4 your run the car, that might be the problem. Not that you shouldn't check the oil b4 you run the car:). It would also be good to check it a few miles after though.... In case you haven't been(maybe that's the prob), the oil lines and filter (if you don't fill the filter with oil b4 you put it on the car) filling up with oil could make it seem like you're losing a buch of oil when there just wasn't enough oil in there in the first place. just a thought...

peace

·
Registered
430 Posts
Zero, zilch, nada oil. I always seem to have a little extra oil left in there. I try to get all the oil out but there always seem to be a little left (flat surface, angled surface, hot, cold..) and I can never put in exactly 4.8L of oil without going over.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts