Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 16 sti, bought it with 26k miles, I now have about 27k. I heard a funny chirping sound last night while leaving work so this morning I checked the oil & when I dipped the stick all that got oil was the very tip. I ran up, bought a filter, change bin, filter wrench (got the wrong size:( ) and some oil. When I changed the oil about 3qts of really black oil came out. I swapped the filter & refilled then topped off to the full hole in the dipstick. My chirp went away but I'm wondering if I should be concerned or just keep an eye on it.

·
Super Moderator
10,941 Posts
I have a 16 sti, bought it with 26k miles, I now have about 27k. I heard a funny chirping sound last night while leaving work so this morning I checked the oil & when I dipped the stick all that got oil was the very tip. I ran up, bought a filter, change bin, filter wrench (got the wrong size:( ) and some oil. When I changed the oil about 3qts of really black oil came out. I swapped the filter & refilled then topped off to the full hole in the dipstick. My chirp went away but I'm wondering if I should be concerned or just keep an eye on it.
I can’t tell you if you shouldn’t be concerned or not. I didn’t hear the chirp.

Oil should get dark. That means it’s being worked and collecting gunk. Without a used oil analysis it’s a shot in the dark what condition the oil was in.

I believe Subaru’s “norm” is around a quart every 1000 miles or so. My 2011 wrx burnt between 1 and 1.5 over 3k using rotella t6 that is a 5w40. The thicker oil may or may not have helped with oil consumption.

·
Hammerdown Mod of Thunder
23,528 Posts
I'm on my 3rd WRX and none of them ever burned oil... now that's weird.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't drive the car hard. I wind it out here & there but only to around 5k, I haven't red lined it or buried the pedal & it was always after the car had been driven a bit. There was no sign of leaking or oil in the fluid. No metal in the oil. Most of the mileage was a short highway run to & from work.

·
Hammerdown Mod of Thunder
23,528 Posts
I don't drive the car hard. I wind it out here & there but only to around 5k, I haven't red lined it or buried the pedal & it was always after the car had been driven a bit. There was no sign of leaking or oil in the fluid. No metal in the oil. Most of the mileage was a short highway run to & from work.
It seems to me these cars do run really hot, so a lot of freeway use may be the reason? I'm rarely on the interstates for any length of time.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Havnt noticed any oil consumption and my uoa have been dandy.

Coolant how ever, I needed to top off twice so far, currently at 18k

·
Super Moderator
10,941 Posts
Havnt noticed any oil consumption and my uoa have been dandy.

Coolant how ever, I needed to top off twice so far, currently at 18k
You shouldn’t be burning any coolant. Have you spoken to the dealership if it’s still under warranty? The system is sealed so if you are losing it it’s going somewhere. You mentioned clear uoa so I would suspect external leak.

·
Super Moderator
10,941 Posts
I'll check tonight
If push comes to shove I believe autozone still rents pressure testers for the cooling system. Look for leaks while it’s hot so there is pressure in the system and everything is at temp.

Pressure test while cool.

Turbo seals are one place it can be lost but I’ve not heard any issues from the new turbo so I would be skeptical. But look for smoke from the tailpipe to be an unreasonable amount if so.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When I got my filter & oil I also grabbed an air filter. 1st, I highly recommend against dropping anything through the air holes below the air inlet & 2nd make sure to plug the maf censor back in or you have to disconnect the battery to clear the cel.

I did notice while replacing the air filter that a cap on top was making a gurgling hissing sound as if pressure was being released (possibly a faulty gasket). I think there is coolant under the cap but not certain. I have no issues with coolant though.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,941 Posts
You are just hearing the coolant move. Should be fine. If that gasket was bad for that cap it would be everywhere. The system is under pressure. 16 psi if I recall so it would be obvious.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So after my 1st 2k miles I was extremely low on oil (below the low mark) & the oil was thick & super old looking. After an oil change & another 1800 miles I am missing no oil & it doesn't look thick. I bought my sti certified preowned & I'm beginning to think they didn't change it before purchase. I think I'm going to take it to another dealer to get it checked.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts