Subaru WRX Forum banner

How much louder is Prodrive axle-back?

2K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  pace 
#1 ·
I'm pretty sure I will get one of these, but I want to verify that you can hear a major difference from inside the car.

I am used to various VTEC Honda/Acura products which have a very distinct exhaust note that you can hear inside the car. It's like an "audible tach" that lets you easily judge the rpm and load on the engine without looking at the instruments.

In the WRX I can barely hear the engine and really miss the feedback of the Hondas. So I want to get an exhaust that gives me the feedback but isn't wake-the-neighbors-fartcan-loud.

#3 ·
I just put mine on last night, and the sound is great. Definitely not loud, but certainly louder than stock. A perfect addition to the WRX. I have the wagon, and heard of too many people complaining about the droning of aftermarket exhausts. I thought I wanted a ScoobySport after hearingthe sound clips, but I keep hearing that it is by far the loudest. It is the only thing I can do to my engine/drivetrain other than an aftermarket air filter, and still remain in Solo II D Stock class, so I wanted something to free up that muffler restriction.

As an almost fifty guy, I don't want to come off as a racerboy wannabe, so I was real concerned about getting something with a noticable difference, without sounding like all the NeonCivics that blattt their way by all the time.

Last night after installing it, I was pleased with the sound at idle, but it seemed to quiet down at higher revs (I didn't drive anywhere, just revved it in the driveway.) Today going to work, and then out at lunch, I realized it adds quite a nice tone to it. Aggressive under acceleration, while still remaining quiet enough at cruise to avoid unwanted attention. Then wide open, it roars again. And then there is that wonderful idle and low RPM rumble. Can't be described, other than to hear one. It sure feels like it revs a little more freely, but that might just be the ol' butt dyno responding to the rumble coming up through the seat.

For an entire evening's worth of endorsements, go over to the "Vendor For Sale" forum on I-Club, and look at irvine Subaru's thread titled "Prodrive Muffler." It is 19 pages of fun reading and happy customers. Ryan, at SPI Motorsports (Irvine Subaru) says the Prodrive muffler is the only product he has ever sold with 100% positive feedback! I was fortunate enough to have been in this last batch of 25 delivered.

HTH,
Steve

#4 ·
I installed mine Friday. The unit looks very nice and tip is great with the "Prodrive" logo on it. The sound is very low pitch and "burbles" at idle. Inside the car, it is alot quieter than I thought it would be.... probably only marginally louder than stock, but just a much better sound. At WOT I can hardly hear the thing honestly, the turbo whine is much more pronounced up front. I've heard they get a little louder after a few hundred miles though, so I am anticipating the sound to be perfect. I'm 28, and didnt want a fart pipe or a cheezy Civic-esque exhaust note. The Prodrive definitely sounds mean, yet very refined and a bit understated. I would call it a good mod for the enthusiast that is a few years beyond the "boy racer" stage. :)

#7 ·
I'm 29.. You guys think your old?? We are in the prime of our lives!

Anyway- I get my mail delivered to Moms still, and she called last night saying a huge package had arrived.

Looks like my Prodrive is in!! Now just waiting on the TurboXS Stealth and Txs uppipe I ordered from World One and I am good to go!!

#10 ·
A deep burble at idle. As quiet as stock at cruise. And an aggressive bark at WOT.

Like Steve said; it's perfect it you want to avoid the boy-racer fart-pipe image. I stood by as my wife drove away in my WRX the other day and the car sounded so damned cool. Like a Porsche, only deeper and a little more burbly... :)

-Pace

[Edit] I would just like to add that I'm addicted to driving under freeway overpasses with the windows down, and cracking open the throttle in second. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.