ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the whole WRX scene so i'm looking for some info. I've got an 02' WRX sedan modded with an STI intercooler, STI injectors, STI turbo (off an 02' STI), walbro fuel pump, injen CAI, equal length manifold and a full 3" TBE. I just have a few questions:
1-whats the maximum boost that an STI turbo can produce
2-with a protune what kind of figures can i expect
3-how much hp can the stock internals withstand
I appreciate any help, thanks

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
I'm new to the whole WRX scene so i'm looking for some info. I've got an 02' WRX sedan modded with an STI intercooler, STI injectors, STI turbo (off an 02' STI), walbro fuel pump, injen CAI, equal length manifold and a full 3" TBE. I just have a few questions:
1-whats the maximum boost that an STI turbo can produce
2-with a protune what kind of figures can i expect
3-how much hp can the stock internals withstand
I appreciate any help, thanks
don't go above 20
protune should net about 275-280 WHP
internals lifespan varies greatly dependant on driving and care.

·
Registered
966 Posts
sti's werent even made in 2002......."STI turbo (off an 02' STI),"

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Dhbamby said:
:rolleyes:

There are other models other than USDM (2004+)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the info...and also thanks for the clarification, in Jamaica we do get them 02'
With all else being equal (bigger turbo etc.), do you think aiming for 340whp is too much for the stock internals?

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
thanks for the info...and also thanks for the clarification, in Jamaica we do get them 02'
With all else being equal (bigger turbo etc.), do you think aiming for 340whp is too much for the stock internals?
no, but it's waaaay too much for the tranny.

·
Registered
966 Posts
its obviously not USDM....

n0000000000000b

sorry i dont sit around on my computer all day looking for cars that arent even avalible and bought in USA... why wouldnt they make them avalible for the USA...ive never seen an 02-03 STI...please send me a pic of one!!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well I really dont want to get into modifying the tranny right about now, I just want to make as much as the engine can manage safely with only bolt-on's and tuning. I was doing a little research on this forum and it looks like many believe that with sensible driving, 300whp is about the limit for the stock tranny.

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
well I really dont want to get into modifying the tranny right about now, I just want to make as much as the engine can manage safely with only bolt-on's and tuning. I was doing a little research on this forum and it looks like many believe that with sensible driving, 300whp is about the limit for the stock tranny.
think you can control yourself though?
i couldn't and didn't.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Thats about right...the tranny can handle that "at most"

But I've seen a couple tranny's that have blown up or shredded gears with less...and some have made it to more without babying them. But if you plan on launching or driving a little harder than your Tranny won't last all too long with 300hp or more at the wheels.

That turbo is most likely a VF34 or some kind of variation of the VF Turbos that are found on JDM or EDM STI's. Perhaps even a VF22 or VF37? Who knows, my google sucks right now...haha. Either way, the turbo will run out of steam roughly around 300hp + or - and probably won't be able to handle more than 20psi efficiently.

The engine internals are pretty good...they can last probably to 350+hp or so, but at that boost level, you will be shortening the life of your block/internals.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hey thanks for the info...to tell you the truth i've been trying to find out which turbo this too. Well i think for now i'm just going to have to be satisfied with what the car makes...300hp or 20psi whichever comes first.

·
Registered
93 Posts
What? :baaa:

STi's have been made since the early GC8 models (STi, STi Type R/RA etc). Just y'all didn't get those cars in the U.S.

Here's a bugeye one.

That turbo is most likely a VF34 or some kind of variation of the VF Turbos that are found on JDM or EDM STI's. Perhaps even a VF22 or VF37?
Nope. Doubt it's VF22 or 37.

Stock JDM 02 STi's came with the VF30 turbo.

I think the Spec C RA model (or was it the S202) came with a VF34 IIRC....so thenagain....maybe it is.

That setup should be able to pull a good 280-290 whp I figure..depending on gas etc. If the STi I/C is JDM...well...better yet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hey good looking out..thanks for the pics
Yes the STI I/C is JDM, so i'm hoping that i'm within that hp range.
I know this has been covered before but is putting on a BPV really not worth it? I know the BOV is a no no...

·
Registered
93 Posts
^^Putting the BPV (at least for the JDM setup AFAIK...have no experience with USDM) requires some changes in hose sizes etc. Makes it a little tricky...but not too difficult.

BPV is ultimately your best bet. There are local "tuned" (stage 2 or higher) STi's running stock turbos with the stock BPV. It should be good up to 20 psi...but maybe another (Perrin BPV?) might hold boost better.

You can consider running a GM/Prodrive/Perrin Boost Solenoid to improve boost response. Will DEFINITELY need to be tuned after install of the sol'nd cuz your car's gonna run weird w/o it.

As for BOVs.......well..... :rotfl:

They're not optimal. But I went over to the dark side recently and installed an HKS SSQV. No major issues *yet*!!!

Are you modifying the hood scoop splitter/changing the hood scoop to work with that TMIC?

Keep in mind that the "rubber seal" which fits over the stocker WRX intercooler helps direct air over it and isolate that air flow from hot engine temps somewhat. But the stock one is too small for the larger JDM STi TMIC. At a minimum, try to modify the splitter to fit over the TMIC....or get an STI splitter (that's the kina black part with the rubber gasket under the bonnet) along with an STi 02 hood scoop.

·
Registered
93 Posts
One more thing.

Equal length headers will help with power...but they WILL kill your nice subaru rumble. Your car will sound more like a bike.

IMHO...stick with stock headers...or get aftermarket UNequal length ones (if you must have headers).

:cool:

·
Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin
5,780 Posts
They're not optimal. But I went over to the dark side recently and installed an HKS SSQV. No major issues *yet*!!!
what major issues would you expect?

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
What? :baaa:

STi's have been made since the early GC8 models (STi, STi Type R/RA etc). Just y'all didn't get those cars in the U.S.

Here's a bugeye one.

Nope. Doubt it's VF22 or 37.

Stock JDM 02 STi's came with the VF30 turbo.

I think the Spec C RA model (or was it the S202) came with a VF34 IIRC....so thenagain....maybe it is.

That setup should be able to pull a good 280-290 whp I figure..depending on gas etc. If the STi I/C is JDM...well...better yet.

Damn thats pretty!

Thanks for correcting me...I knew it was some VF 3x or something around there, I just couldn't pinpoint it and my quick google search didn't really yield any good results. :thumbup:

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts