Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a few pictures of WRXs with the larger hood scoop. Realistically, how much does one of these help performance?

thanks,
polkaband

·
Registered
110 Posts
Probably very little. Might be more beneficial if you installed a larger top mount i/c too. I think they're more for cosmetics for most.

I'm getting the STi scoop very soon.

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
what do you think the inpact would be if you combined the splitter with the larger scoop? i bet the output for some of those aftermarket top mounts would be much better. as i understand it, most aftermarket top mounts are pretty much useless compared to the gains from a front mount. so the price for a new top mount isn't justified versus the cost of piping a FM in.

wonder if the extra exposure would increast the cooling/dampen the heatsoak from under the hood. our engines run so hot...

dR

SPLITTER

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tad off topic, and also a little silly, but one thing that would bug me about getting a front mount intercooler is that I would lose teh functionality of the hood scoop. I love to pen my hood and suprise people when they see that low and behold, there actually IS a reason for the scoop. So many cars have itjust for looks now a days.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'm with you... The functional top mount scoop is awesome. The WRX is capable of ALOT of power with a top mount. Just add water spray :)

Also, who makes that splitter? Not badly priced at ~$150. Prolly a bit more imported.

·
1,911 Posts
I'lll be removing my hood scoop. I never liked that obnoxious thing on my hood anyway. I'll be using some mesh screen painted silver to match the car and try to make it blend in. This way I can get hot air out of the engine compartment.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Dan,

Could you mount an RS hood on it? Then the car would have a more "finished" look instead of meshing.

Justin

·
1,911 Posts
I could but number one that is super expensive and number two I want to get hot air out of the engine compartment. Hopefully the silver mesh will blend in well so that people don't notice. It certainly can't be any more obnoxious than the big old snorkel we have now.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Wow.. i LOVE the hood scoop. It is what sets aside the WRX from the RS hehe. Body wise.

Whenever i see a scoop on a car.. i look. and half the time its a WRX!! I love this stuff.

-John

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
well

i dig the scoop. i think it looks sweet, and the fact that it is functional vs all the celicas and 4runners' and mustangs is awesome.

did you have no luck trying to turn the scoop around god? i though that sounded like a great idea. aside from the possibility of window fogging in the winter, i think it would release a lot of the heat from under the hood.

dR

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
I agree with 99 and d r...I love the scoop. The fact that it is functional is really the reason why I like it. I don't like the scoops that are there just for looks.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I love it when ppl stop and ask me, what's that ?? (and then point at my hood scoop) and then when i say it's for my turbo charger, they are like WHAT??? that lil thing got a turbo? down where i live, there aren't many imports around, so one time this guy asked me how much it costed to hook up my Civic!! that way:eek: you can just imagin the surprise when i told him all the details:)

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Dan, what about putting some sort of partition (if you will) in the back, say, 1/4 of the hood scoop and putting an exit hole in the back of the hood scoop. That way (theoretically anyway) you could get some circulation out the back of the hood scoop. I actually like the way it looks, so i was trying to think of ways to accomplish what you want while still keeping the scoop. What do you think?

Rod

1 - 15 of 15 Posts