Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I asked this on another forum and got some good answers, but I would like to hear your inputs and thoughts too.

Right now I drive and Integra with an aftermarket exhaust, and it seems to attract a lot of people who want to race or somehow think that b\c I have an exhaust that I want to race. It drives me nuts! I cant stand it when I have ricers and ******** pull up beside me and either rev their engine or stare at me, when I am minding my own business. I have raced one person that I didn't know at a light in the 6 years that I have owned my car. I definitely don't go out looking for people to race, and I like to keep to myself on the road. So I guess my question is do you guys encounter this on a regular basis, I can only guess that you do considering the looks and the hype of the Sti. I know it will attract some attention but is it out of control? I want one so bad though!! Thanks for your input! :thumbup:

·
Registered
312 Posts
yesterday i had a volvo 780 (old volvo coupe) try to race me. its pretty bad.

·
Registered
518 Posts
People said I was crazy for completely debadging my WRX when I first got it. I said, "You don't get it, it's like a magnet for morons!"

The STi's rear sail attracts ricers and mulletheads from 500 yards.

If I ever got one, I would swap the trunklid for a completely debadged wingless unit and store the original one for resale. I also want silver wheels and foglights so it looks more like a WRX.

-Jim

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I really dont get much attention from people trying to race me. Ive had a couple of suvs try but not really any cars. Had my car since septemeber.

·
Registered
538 Posts
mn1028 said:

Right now I drive and Integra with an aftermarket exhaust, and it seems to attract a lot of people who want to race or somehow think that b\c I have an exhaust that I want to race. It drives me nuts! I cant stand it when I have ricers and ******** pull up beside me and either rev their engine or stare at me, when I am minding my own business.
You may want to consider a different car. Every time I go into to town, every red light becomes a starting line. Sometimes, just for fun, I'll rev back, then watch the knot-head next to me launch while I slowly drive off with the rest of traffic. Cruel, but amusing. :D

Curtis

·
Registered
92 Posts
It may be a regional thing.. I've only had 3 instances of people targeting me. I had one kid in a late model Firebird pace me without making eye contact. He'd just drive beside me waiting for me to do something. I also had a couple of kids trying to catch me on a twisty back road. I slowed down because I could see that the driver was driving over his skill level. Met up at a light and they said they were having fun and liked the car. Lastly, some kid in an RXS or something rode my butt then got in front of me and proceeded to show me how lousy of a driver he was.

I also am an early person, so if I'm out playing it's early in the morning. I hardly ever go out after work. I suspect that more kids are cruising around at night looking for races.

So, to answer your question, I do not get undo attention on a regular basis.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Its very regional. Where I live I will pass 5 03 m3s before Im on the road for 3 mins every day, and various cars worth over $80k so not many people care if I have a subaru with a big wing. Now I do get alot of attention in it from people just looking at me but they rarely try to start anything, they just check the car out and move on.

Now if I drove up and down the local street racing area I would be getting reved at on every corner.

·
Registered
92 Posts
You know, that's funny. Yesterday alone I saw more M3's than any other day I've been on the road. Next would be various Porsche's and Z06's. On the other hand, beat up pickup trucks with monster tires also have their spot in this area...High Tech and old tobacco..what a mix.

·
Banned
968 Posts
happasaiyan said:
yesterday i had a volvo 780 (old volvo coupe) try to race me. its pretty bad.
I had an Expedition rev it at me yesterday. Now THAT is bad.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Mili727 said:
I had an Expedition rev it at me yesterday. Now THAT is bad.
I had to race one a couple of weeks ago. He wouldnt let me change lanes weather I slowed down or sped up so I had to just floor it to get buy. then he tried to chase me down:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4 Posts
besides a few ricer fly-by's, i've had one crx try to race me since i've owned the car,other than that,not one person will race me even if a try to start one. (since aug),until i drove it to michigan were every hick on a vette,camaro or firebird tried to race me. used to have people stop in the middle of a intersection to stare at my car,and now that i am wingless, i don't get as much attetion(no more cops haraasing me), alot of people think i am a wrx w/ sti badges (mostly because they are stupid, i still have all the badges on, huge scoop,brembro's,etc...) plus it's been out for awhile now. people still get excited though when they see me. everytime i get gas, i have to talk the whole time.....but def got more street races in my 5th gen prelude(tein's, 18's,mugen stuff...)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well, with the big 'ol wing on the back the STi does look pretty "ricey". You would never guess a wing that big would come from the factory. Seems like the Honda boys buzz around me like a bunch of flies. I haven't had anyone try to race me yet but I'm sure it's coming.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The wing may look a bit ricey but next time someone's starring your car down, watch their eyes. They eventually make it to the front Brembo's and then recognition of a beast within changes their expression. I swear this has happened to me a lot. Last time by some guy in a new Mercedes sports car. He was looking out of the corner of his eye as he passed and then hit the brakes a little harder once he saw the brakes. He had to get a better view. It's fun to watch.

·
Registered
2 Posts
seriously, what do you expect. The car is just begging for attention! :D

Mx9: You ever get diesel trucks try to race you?? There are a few in Cary/Raleigh that are pretty quick on the highway :eek:

·
Registered
92 Posts
scottycs said:
seriously, what do you expect. The car is just begging for attention! :D

Mx9: You ever get diesel trucks try to race you?? There are a few in Cary/Raleigh that are pretty quick on the highway :eek:
Nope, I can honestly say that no diesel trucks have tried to race me :) However, last night when my wife was driving us home after a party, a minivan proceeded to show us his 'blistering' acceleration....

·
Registered
1 Posts
hahaha

well it must be a rally goodlooking cars! :D :p
but yeah the big wing, the big wheels, the big brakes all attract attention.

I get this, is that awd turbo? lemme hear the blowoff valve. but i guess its the AWD turbo craze...

and i like to say wassup to everyone. my friend just got a blue sti and several of my other friends also own wrx's. Just like to show some love to nice cars. :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
My STi attracts too many DAILY pointless taunts to mention them all, ranging from an '89 Camry with a TRD sticker to a GMC truck with "back off" mud guards(no joke!). Funny thing is, pretty much all I've gotten from the E36/E46 & 911 guys are thumbs up. Even some of the V8 heads in town show some unexpected respect for the "the little four banger that could."

I guess what tops it off are the guys who stand on the sidewalk who twiddle their pointing fingers in a circular motion, expecting a 2 wheeled burn out. :rolleyes: There's even one time where a guy was so determined to see a 'burn out,' he was calling me some obscene names for NOT 'spinning' so I rolled my window down and shouted: "If you knew what these cars were, you wouldn't be doing that, moron! When I get around you, let me know what that sticker says on the bottom of my rear window, idiot."

Nevertheless, I love my car.

-STiLL

1 - 20 of 40 Posts