ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a manual and how many have automatics? I know most proly own MT but how big of a difference is it compared to automatic? like the feel of the power, performance, MT turbo vs the AT turbo ect...

also thoses who drive MT WRX when coming to a stop do you normaly down shift or throw it in netural and use the breaks??

and with a AT turbo does it still make the cool pssh sound when shifting through the gears?

thanks

·
Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin
5,780 Posts
a manual and how many have automatics? I know most proly own MT but how big of a difference is it compared to automatic? like the feel of the power, performance, MT turbo vs the AT turbo ect...

also thoses who drive MT WRX when coming to a stop do you normaly down shift or throw it in netural and use the breaks??

and with a AT turbo does it still make the cool pssh sound when shifting through the gears?

thanks
I have a manual Transmission they are much better than the 4eat you get an extra gear and you get to feel the car, i like that. the only automatic trannys i respect are the ones in ferraris. most cars are more fun to drive with a manual.

When i come to a stop i like to downshift and use a lil break at first but i dont use the tranny to slow me down too much as its too much wear on it i think. break pads are much cheaper than transmissions.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya good point dude its nice to be able to feel the power I guess my main concern would be getting stuck in traffic...that's how I burnt up the clutch in my old ford ranger, but than again it had 33'' tires and it was old a 93'...

now I'm not driving in traffic much so I dont think it should be much of a problem and I'm not planning on racing or running it to hard....only when the car next to me revs then its on haha!

all my buddys that drive a MT downshift a lot when stopping I never did like doing it...for one I don't think it sounds to good and I always had the problem of downshifting to earily and choking my self with the seat belt from flying forward lol

·
Premium Member
13,124 Posts
i have a manual. braking depends on how far away i am from the light when it turns red and how many cars are around. if i'm a good distance away from the light i'll downshift and just coast because i'm too lazy to stop. if i literally have to stop though i'll put it into neutral and use the brakes.

·
Premium Member
26,609 Posts
The manual is a bit quicker off the line, and the manual is a pleasure to drive. I find automatics horribly boring.

If you've had problems with traffic and down shifting, some practice is in order. When done correctly, a manual car can be driven smoother than an automatic.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I have a manual Transmission they are much better than the 4eat you get an extra gear and you get to feel the car, i like that. the only automatic trannys i respect are the ones in ferraris. most cars are more fun to drive with a manual.

When i come to a stop i like to downshift and use a lil break at first but i dont use the tranny to slow me down too much as its too much wear on it i think. break pads are much cheaper than transmissions.
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't down shifting in order to slow down wear on the clutch, not the gears.

·
Premium Member
26,609 Posts
If you do the work yourself (easy), a replacement clutch can be had for as little as $250. Replacement pads and rotors can be had for as little as $160. If you don't down shift, you will replace the brakes at an accelerated rate.

If driven correctly (with down shifting), you can expect 40k-100k out of the brakes, and 100k-200k out of the clutch depending on the conditions the car is used in. Naturally the longer distances would apply to highway miles.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
oh I have no problem driving in traffic I was just saying I burnt out the clutch in my old ford ranger while in traffic.... I don't think it was the way I was driving it, I'm pretty sure it was cause it was a stock 93 clutch, the truck had 33'' tall tires with stock gearing in the rear...it was bound to happen just the stop and go helped it out...

and about the downshifting I just don't like he sound of it gearing down..sounds like a lot of force and weight is being put where it shouldnt be.......netural and brakes all the way for me unless hitting a corner that's a little different...

I'm pretty good on breaks I've had my nissan titan for about 2 years and haven't had to change them yet...they haven't even squeeked yet..

·
Registered
305 Posts
the only automatic trannys i respect are the ones in ferraris.
Ferrari doesn't make a automatic tranny. They have F1 transmissions otherwise known as SMG gearboxes. The car can run without you shifting but its far from an automatic transmission. Mercedes EAT are absolutely incredible, some say second to none.

That being said. I have a 4EAT in my WRX for the reason that I'm on the road all day for work and I live and work in the NYC area so the traffic can be terrible at times thats why I choose a EAT. Do I wish my car was manual, absolutely. MT are far more fun to drive and you can do so much more with the car when your controlling the gears. Waiting for my Sunday driver to get the MT ;)

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
6-speed FTW!

When coming to a stop, I will usually downshift/brake.

matt duarte said:
and about the downshifting I just don't like he sound of it gearing down..sounds like a lot of force and weight is being put where it shouldnt be.......netural and brakes all the way for me unless hitting a corner that's a little different...
Downshift when you get to the bottom-end of the gear (under 2k RPMs) and you won't really hear the engine stress too much.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Ferrari doesn't make a automatic tranny. They have F1 transmissions otherwise known as SMG gearboxes. The car can run without you shifting but its far from an automatic transmission. Mercedes EAT are absolutely incredible, some say second to none.
this has been hair-split and beat to death, but if it can shift itsself, that's what makes it an automatic. regardless of the technical makeup.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Match revs and you won't have this problem. You'll also reduce the wear and tear on the tranny and clutch.

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
matt duarte said:
idipskoalmint, ya the was proly my problem... the ranger didn't have a rpm gauge..haha
You should still know the bottom-end in terms of speed that your gears can handle (without being upset with you). Even if you don't have a tach, you can hear the engine stressing.

For me, 2nd is like 5mph, 3rd is 15-20, 4th is 25-30, 5th is 35, 6th is 45

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,722 Posts
this has been hair-split and beat to death, but if it can shift itsself, that's what makes it an automatic. regardless of the technical makeup.
Yup.
Ferrari's F1 trannies are technologically stupendous, but no clutch pedal + no stick = auto.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Yup.
Ferrari's F1 trannies are technologically stupendous, but no clutch pedal + no stick = auto.
So F1 Cars are automatic?? No clutch no stick. I know a guy from Monaco who use to be on Honda's F1 crew, you tell him that those cars are automatic and he'll laugh in your face.

Don't mean to hijack this thread.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Match revs and you won't have this problem. You'll also reduce the wear and tear on the tranny and clutch.
Thats the point I was going to make...match the revs and everything is kosher.

I use a downshift and brake combo everywhere, rev-matching everywhere.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
You should still know the bottom-end in terms of speed that your gears can handle (without being upset with you). Even if you don't have a tach, you can hear the engine stressing.

For me, 2nd is like 5mph, 3rd is 15-20, 4th is 25-30, 5th is 35, 6th is 45
wow, I will not go into 3rd until 25-30mp
4th no earlier than 40mph
5th no earlier than 50mph
6th is cruising, at least 60mph...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts