Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Moderating U!
4,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed in a lot of WRC videos I have and a bunch of track racing videos, that a lot of people drive with 2 hands on the steering wheel at all times. I have trained myself to always have only 1 hand on the wheel at all times. No matter where I drive. Up in the mountains, on the freeway and in the city. I have tried for the last few weeks to actually use 2 hands on the steering wheel, but its hard to re-learn. It is especially hard to turn with 2 hands on the wheel for me. I know its probably a bad habit, since you will have more control of the steering wheel with 2 hands. But I am trying to re-learn.

How many of you use 2 hands on the wheel at all times?

How many of you use 1 hand on the wheel at all times?

How many of you use your knees to drive while you pound a Coke with one and Talk on a cell phone with the other?

·
Registered
0 Posts
ALL THREE :D

If I'm just cruising down the road, I will use 1 or both depending on what's comfortable at the time.

If I'm driving fast, it's 2 hands always except for shifting, then back to the wheel. And with a big grin on my face :D

·
Registered
814 Posts
Like Racenut said.... When i'm cruising one... driving "spiritly" two. I also move my seat up for the latter. I know what you mean about it being hard/wierd though. But for the most part if you are driving fast you don't really rotate the wheel very far... except for those quick u-turns :D

·
895 Posts
the best control is with two hands on the wheel. the only time you take a hand off is to shift. plain and simple. hands at 9 and 3.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
2 hands if I'm going faster than normal and driving 'spirited', 1 in everday traffice, and then everynow and then I go no hands for a couple of seconds if I'm doing something that requires it.

·
Re-Addicted to WRX
952 Posts
two hands for sure, pretty much all the time at 9 and 3 like stated above. Just off for shifting. Occasionally I might cruise with one hand on the wheel. But the way my seat is set (so that arms are always bent a little and legs are always bent even with clutch depressed...it is almost uncomfortable to remain with one hand off?!:confused:

·
Registered
586 Posts
Cruising 1. Spirited 2 like everyone else. I like to be able to hold the wheel with both hands when in a tight turn without repositioning. Pretty much like tacomaboy.

They are spreading the word that 9 and 3 is the best position to drive with the newer cars because of the airbags. At 10 and 2 you will have 2 blackeyes if it goes off.

·
Registered
573 Posts
in my jeep, it was always just 1 hand. even at higher speeds or aggressive driving, it was usually just one.

but with only a few days in the wrx, i'm finding myself drive more with two hands. gotta love that momo steering wheel!

·
Registered
932 Posts
Two all the time except for shifting - even when I'm cruising I use two because you never know when some moron might pull out in front of you and you need to able to react quick to avoid a wreck. Driving with one hand is just waiting for an accident IMO.

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
DenniSTi said:
If you drive the STi, you need to have 2 hands on the wheel. It's squirrely for sure.
interesting. care to extrapolate a bit?

i cruise w/ one at the bottom. when i'm driving reasonably hard, i'm one at the top, when i'm hauling ass, i use 2 (especially unsafe speeds on the hwy late at night)

dR

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I drive with 2 hands about 95% of the time, not including when I shift, then its just hand off for 1 second then back on.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Penguinking said:
the best control is with two hands on the wheel. the only time you take a hand off is to shift. plain and simple. hands at 9 and 3.
Exactly, the only problem is that the steering rack is too slow on the WRX, and for tight turns you cannot keep both hands on. I always drive at 9 and 3 though, improves your driving skill as well as keeps you ready for any situation.

-joe

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
firedust said:
i always drive at 11 and 3. ever since skip barber.
Hey, everyone listen to this guy he's been to skip barber.....amazing place if you ask me, I plan on going as soon as I get some cash together...*lifts up sofa cushions looking for money*

·
Registered
117 Posts
11 and 3

why 11 and 3, i was under the impression that 9 and 3 gave the most control?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts