ClubWRX Forum banner

Do You Double Clutch When Heel-Toeing?

• Yes, not much harder and seems better for the car.

Votes: 9 20.0%
  • No, its a waste of time and not that much better on synchros.

Votes: 19 42.2%
  • Whats a clutch?... wheres the bewbies option?

Votes: 17 37.8%
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering whats the popular opinion here, and how hard is it really on your synchros to be downshifting at slightly higher rpm's like when heel-toeing without double clutching.

·
Registered
476 Posts
that seems like alot of foot work for me..i'm just perfecting heal toe as it is let alone throwing in double clutching...im sure its better for the car but is it really the preffered method? I've done it once or twice going into third because its still a pain in my car for some reason and grinds if I downshift fast even though I have ppg's 1-4.

·
Moderating on the run!
12,481 Posts
always double clutch (guess I shouldn't say always, but damn near always :)) after lots and lots of repetitions it becomes very second nature

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
I very, very rarely double clutch. Pretty much never. At least not as a method to get the syncros the mesh.

How many of you have actually driven a vehicle that requires double clutching? I suspect what people are calling double clutching isn't really double clutching. It doesn't mean just pressing the clutch pedal twice. It involves using the gas pedal too and using it at the right time and being able to estimate RPM versus vehicle speed very accurately. I grew up on a farm driving vehicles that require it and it's not an easy technique to master.

·
Registered
476 Posts
just went out for a drive and gave the duoble clutch heal toeing another chance...not worth it in my book...especially coming into tight turns and needeing to downshift quickly.

Maybe i'm just not quick enough yet,but with todays synchronized transmissions I see no real point in it, except maybe 2-1st but as it is now I can throw my car in to first at 37mph no problem and it is sweet!!!

I'll keep trying it to see if my views change. still think its a bit overkill

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
as it is now I can throw my car in to first at 37mph no problem and it is sweet!!!
Why would you want to downshift into 1st at 37 MPH? :confused:

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
i'm terrible at heal and toe....but i guess i don't try enough. but whenever down shifting, i always...ALWAYS double clutch.

i miss my car, its down in FL and I'm back up here for the holidays. :sadwave:

·
Registered
300 Posts
as it is now I can throw my car in to first at 37mph no problem and it is sweet!!!l
Why would you want to downshift into 1st at 37 MPH? :confused:
So first gear can go "poof" and make fun noises!!!

and I do it b/c with the oil I have in mine right now it needs to be done when the trans is cold the oil is more than happy to go into second and first when warm.

and let me be sure by 'double clutching' you mean out of gear>neutral>into gear, with the arrows being uses of the clutch?

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
So first gear can go "poof" and make fun noises!!!

and I do it b/c with the oil I have in mine right now it needs to be done when the trans is cold the oil is more than happy to go into second and first when warm.

and let me be sure by 'double clutching' you mean out of gear>neutral>into gear, with the arrows being uses of the clutch?
Uhm... should be

in gear
clutch in
pull shift lever out of gear
clutch out
revmatch to rpms where your intended gear will want to be
clutch in
push shift lever into gear
clutch out

The benefit of doing it correctly is very noticeable as the "shift into gear" will feel smooth as silk.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yes i am talking about double clutching as micah defined. not sure there is anything else that can be be considered double clutching. as for those that think its way too much footwork and too slow, spend a week actively thinking about it every downshift and it will become second nature. just as heel-toeing was challenging and awkward in the beginning double clutchng will also become faster and smoother. glad to hear i'm not alone in doing it. it just feels a lot better for the car when the shifter slides right in.

·
Super Moderator
33,822 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
15! :eek:. ya you might have to do it bare foot. a good pair of smaller shoes that you get used to will really help. i'm partial to my vans slip-on's. They give great pedal feel and their smaller size will keep you from getting caught up on the carpet/center barrier. very good poor man's driving shoe.

It'll also help alot to press the brake pedal closer to the middle of your foot so you heel doesn't stick out as far. The right foot position on the brake is a great place to start.

·
Super Moderator
33,822 Posts
I bought a pair of wrestling shoes in 15 for autox. They are similar to driving shoes and are very compact in size with a flexible sole.

My shoe size followed my age from 9 - 15. :sadwave:

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
I used to have a really hard time heel/toeing since I also wear 15 wide shoes, but then I started just putting my foot on both the gas and brake at once. Then I can rock my foot to either side and control both pedals at the same time. It took a little time to get used to, but now I can press all 3 pedals at once with ease.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts