ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!!!! Here is a little background about me im a 18 year old kid who is about to go to college........ I have been saveing a lot of mola to buy a car before I leave and of course I want a sporty quick car. So at first I was looking at the basics..... camaros mustangs..... etc etc. And then it hit me.... I like in new york!!! it snows all the time!!! it probably is a good idea to get a 4 wheel drive car. And yea ive seen the comercials the wrx goes 0-60 in like 5.5 seconds.... So im thinking I should get one..... but am I going to have a lot of problems with transmission parts.... etc etc. if I buy one with about 40 k miles on it? How long will the car last. I know its cheap for a reason... Is this the reason or is it because of a bland interior etc etc... I know that if u buy a bimmer u get a bimmer u buy a subaru.... and u get a subaru.....

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
WRX's are really high on the Lemon List. Problem is most people buy WRX's, mod them, run the piss outta them, break them, then sell them. They usually just piece them together just enough to make em run and appear normal so they will sell. It is this reason that I bought mine brand new. Didn't want to buy someone else's problem.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
28,988 Posts
Look elsewhere for a college campus car.

It's not about speed or making an impression, it's about getting something that'll run very long and very cheap with minimal attention and won't be stolen etc.

You'll also need to haul stuff if you are moving.

Maybe a Honda Civic wagon, nicely used, or something like that? Why put $24K on the street or in a college parking lot?

·
Registered
826 Posts
All the more reason to get something easier on the gas. Although if you can find the fuel, maybe you should look at a used VW TDI. I don't know how they stand up over time, but the mileage is good and it drives nicely. Now if you want something nicer with more speed I would say look around for some used domestics as the parts will be easier to get when it breaks.

All the above is my cheap college student advice, while my money making software engineer advice says get the best new vehicle you can afford and stick with it, because you will only waste money changing it out for something else when you realize you hate it. Eight years later when some much nicer vehicles become available buy another new one and turn the old one into your race vehicle.

·
Registered
32 Posts
bottom line, turbo life span = 60K miles. sooooo, even with the 65K mile power train warrenty, tehre not stupid. they will say your turbo is fine at 65K then leave you to pick up the tab when it frys.

but then again i still think the wrx would be a better choice then a god damn ford rustang.
camero is *sigh* better choice then mustang but

if you want something relyable for school get a honda. :(
acura rsx type-s is quick little car and u dont have to worry about turbo ware.

·
28,988 Posts
Nose Nuggets said:
bottom line, turbo life span = 60K miles {SNIP} ... {discusses atmospheric car option...} and u dont have to worry about turbo ware.
What evidence is there for the 60K miles statement? Just curious. Have you seen this link?

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=007857

Mitsubishi turbos are solid units; the one in our cars ought to last at least as long as the motor if both are properly maintained. Note the second poster with a 1989 model Mitsu-turboed Volvo, with the (dated, older technology) turbo having exceeded 200K mi/320K km. The real issue is that many people fail to maintain the vehicle and/or exceed the design parms.

·
Registered
32 Posts
holy :eek3:

well like i stated in other posts this is my first turbocharged car. so i couldent debate either way from personal experience, but what i have head from old co-workers is that 60K is about all you can get out of a turbo with 100% performace. after 60K the quality of the turbo starts to degrade and thus the performance gain from said turbo also starts to degrade.

i will do a little more reserch on this subject now that you have brought those posts to my attention.

·
28,988 Posts
There's no reason the stock turbo won't last just as long as the rest of the driveline if the car is maintained properly and if the turbo is not asked to do something it wasn't designed to. So if you don't mess with boost levels and maintain the car, you ought to expect no problems at all, and you ought to be very disappointed in SOA if you do have a problem - again, if and only IF the car is maintained correctly and nothing silly is done to the boost levels etc. Otherwise all bets are off; plenty of blown turbo posts around to show for that.

·
Registered
664 Posts
since, higher boost means higher heat, its inevitable that a modded rex with a stock snail might poop an oil seal at above 60k miles.

Oh well. A VF34 isnt that much more cash than if you bought another stocker from a dealer... give your car more balls if your gonna pay up in the future. buy some STi injectors for paperweights until that day comes.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
It's a nice car, but as many people already have said. It's often drived hard and in the us many times by people that don't know or are learning to drive a MT.

I would not buy a modded car. Look for signs of modding if you can. Buy it from a dealer so you have someone to go back to if you get any problems.

I bought my wrx 1 year used, mods where mbc kn dropon filter and lowered suspesion. No problems at all. But I don't like the mbc that much.. It's fine for me, but i don't know how much PTFB driving the former owner did... He propatly did not even know of the problem...

It's every kids dream, but I don't think it's the most sutiable car for every kids. (but they will drive fast and reckless anyway so... )

1 - 13 of 13 Posts