Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long to break in a new turbo? I have been told to keep the boost lower to 500 miles but I want to verify it. Is there a normal breakin procedure for new turbos? This would be for a VF30.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I've heard the same # over at i-club but don't know the source. I've never worked on a factory turbocharged vehicle but it sounds like a fair amount of time to let it set in...

That being said - I'd find it hard not to dip into the boost for 500 miles. :D

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
WizardBlackWRX said:
I've always used ~500 miles.
They're sorta like brakes. Be easy, use short bursts and let it cool/flush.
After the 500 miles do you crank the boost up to normal psi levels?

So far I have kept mine to the wastegate psi.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
WizardBlackWRX said:
Just to totally change the topic... How is that turbo anyway? When does boost hit? And what turbo did you have last to compare it to?

Oh and how is the Quantum Racing Stage 2 Throttle Body with Coolant Bypass? I was thinking of the stage 2.

Or you could just PM me back with the answers if you want.

·
Registered
160 Posts
No problem. :)
The turbo is going to vary with the system you have. I have a TEC3 and can spool it a little faster. I am still taking it easy, so I am not sure when it'll hit. It should pump out more than a VF22. It all depends on the wheels and housings you use, though. I am using a smallish Garrett and it is rated a bit above 400 I believe (at peak).
The stage 2 is pretty nice. Everyone seems to like it. The bypass portion is a DIY, though.
To be honest, Stage I should offer about 90% of the Stage II benefits, so I would opt for that one, but then again, if you're gonna have it done...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Turbo Break in

Just install a VF 22 Turbo, my question is do I have a break in period on the turbo???
I know many people let the turbo get lubricated for a few hundred miles ....

Jose

1 - 13 of 13 Posts