ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live less than a half mile from the through way, for my morning commute how long do I have wait before its safe to go 70-75? I'm concerned there's not enough oil pumping when I first get on and the engine temp is still cold.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Be more concerned about engine load changes that cause the car to get into boost rather than the speed you're cruising at. Without an oil temperature gauge, you can't be sure when things have gotten to operating temp, but as a general rule on my car, oil takes about twice as long as coolant to get to temperature (when coolant hits OT, oil is still 140-160°, while 210-220° is OT).

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
I drive up to speed slow, keep the rpms under 3 and don't let the turbo kick in
That's probably fine. Start the car when you go to pour your coffee in the morning or brush your teeth (whatever the last action is before you leave) so you can get at least a good 30 secs-1 minute or so of warmup time to get oil circulating. Then that half mile, by the time you hit the highway, operating temps will be closer to optimal ranges. When you see your temp gauge getting towards the middle, you're good to go.

Me, I'll get changed, go turn the car on, then put hair goop in and style my hair. Wash my hands, grab my wallet, phone, and keys...throw my shoes and jacket on, and bam...temps are already warming up.

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
Start the car when you go to pour your coffee in the morning or brush your teeth (whatever the last action is before you leave) .
That is how cars get stolen from your driveway.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Just drive the car normally. How fast you should go has virtually nothing to do with the car being warmed up. Engine load is more important, but you still really don't have anything to worry about. Just don't drive the car like you stole it until it has at least a few miles to distribute oil around the engine and lubricants around the other moving parts like diffs.

·
and the Funky Bunch
6,124 Posts

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts