ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering buying a new STi or possibly a WRX (hatchback). I'm coming from a 2003 BMW 330xi sedan. I'm a bit wary of a substantially harsher ride, the need for constant/aggressive shifting, reliability, etc... I have test driven the vehicles and while I think they are very fun, they are a significant change from what I have been driving. (As an aside, I had a 2006 Mini Cooper S with some slight mods that my wife found too "uncomfortable" to drive- partially due to the weird supercharger lag/kick.)

Any thoughts or opinions?

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,225 Posts
Reliability should increase substantially. Noise will increase. Rear room should increase. Cargo room should increase. Fuel use should be equally poor.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
With the hatchback, you'll have no lack of space for a family (at least compared to a 330i). The ride and noise will be a bit rougher, but my wife is fine with it, and she generally hates cars (my car has stock suspension, and a mostly stock engine). The sedans aren't quite as practical space-wise, but at least now the rear seat folds down. My 2003 has an armrest pass-through (like your 330i), but no fold down rear seat.

They are comfortable for long trips too. I rode in my friend's 2010 WRX from Oregon to Canada in a day and felt great. I've driven my own 2003 WRX from San Francisco to Portland in a day, and wasn't sore at all.

All WRXs have top safety ratings, side airbags, rigid body bracing, and child seat anchors, so you won't be sacrificing safety coming from BMW. There are some threads floating around here and other Subaru forums highlighting some horrific accidents that everyone in the cars were able to walk away from.

Sent from my Droid 2

·
Registered
633 Posts
I have 2 kids (4 and 6) the both use booster seats in the back and they have plenty of legroom even though the booster seats eat up some of their leg room. As for comfort, on long trips it's not too bad. We have driven from Omaha to Milwaukee and Omaha to Fort Worth several times. The suspension in my 09 WRX isn't too harsh, I can't speak for the STi since I haven't been in one of the new ones. Have you looked in to the Legacy?

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
My 2002 WRX's have worked great as secondary family cars. If all 4 of us are going somewhere for a trip, our van is infinitely better suited. Unless your wife will be driving the car on a regular basis, the suspension thing should be a matter of your preference. I'm not terribly concerned about my kids' opinions about it. I keep a roll of duct tape in the glove box at all times.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I have two young boys. 3 and 5 and have the sedan. I freaking love it! Highly recommend it

1 - 7 of 7 Posts