ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just crossed the 1000 mile mark on my 2012 WRX and I'm ready to go out and play a little but first I have some questions. I've never owned a car the could be considered a performance vehicle before and so I've never really had the desire to take a car into the upper range of RPMs on the tach. I really just want to know if redlining the car can cause damage to it or if every once in awhile when I feel the urge I can get it revved up that high? :confused: I'm just a little skittish on the accelerator right now because I don't want to damage my brand new car that I hope will last me 8 to 10 years. Thanks

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
Welcome to the fold! :)

Your car was engineered to handle the occasional redline with grace. I understand why you'd want to be gentle on your new toy, but you should be fine to enjoy yourself here and there. :wiggles:

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,921 Posts
The rev limiter is there to protect your engine.

·
and the Funky Bunch
6,124 Posts
You don't want to drive around bouncing it off the limiter (in other words, make sure you remember to shift ;) ), but an occasional run into the high rpms isn't going to hurt your car. Some would argue that it is even beneficial.

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
stock redline will not hurt your engine unless you hold it there for a while. When you get tuned, they may well raise the 'redline' in the ecu so that you can rev higher.

I put the seconds redline in quotes because the tune will not change where the red is on the gauges, but will change where the engine management cutoff point is.

·
Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers?
785 Posts
If you are not used to running a manual into the upper revs it can be a bit unnerving at first. There is a feeling that maybe you are pushing it too far, what with the louder sounds and whatnot. You'll get past it. Small turbo motors are built so that the power resides in the upper rpm range. Big V8s have power down low, but we make it up high - and the engines are meant to be driven there. You can loaf along in the lower ranges all you want, but don't fear letting the boxer open up. Take it to 6500 and know that it is supposed to pushed there. Once you get a feel for how to build power in your shifting patterns you'll appreciate the motor that much more. :drive2:

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Everything is fine in moderation :)

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
There's no such thing. Wait, what are we talking about again?

On a more serious note, the upper rev range is perfectly fine as long as the car is in sound condition and maintenance is up-to-date. I don't redline every time I drive, but I do pretty often, and almost always sees 5-6K a few times during a trip.

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
Miss Cleo said:
I see ah daark gray sedan makin alot o noise in Kasnsas City. Da driver, he haz a big smile on he face

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
I used to limit the revving of my cars for what I perceived to be maximum longevity. One day it occurred to me that I'm going to die at some point. I started taching up that biznitch.

·
Æternum
20,598 Posts
When you start to see purple unicorns

·
and the Funky Bunch
6,124 Posts
In other news:

220px-How_High_poster.JPG

That is all.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm really thrilled that this thread lasted long enough to get my answer and then broke out into a good ol' pun :thumbup:

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,921 Posts
I hear that if you bounce your car off the limiter you can run 12s in a 2012 wrx.

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts

·
Æternum
20,598 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
i heard with turbo cars there is no need to push to the redline, if you shift before the redline you can better stay in the powerband

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
depends on the specific setup.....

for instance, a MS3 has a very short powerband due to its rather dinky TD04 and rest of their setup, my friends 09 needs to be shifted no later than about 6400RPM because power plummets at 6500, and only starts really pulling at about 4k.

WRXs with TD04s seem to spool quick and early (from what I hear....only been in one, one time)

My '11, with the VF52 pulls hard from 3200 to almost red (which I have raised by 500)

·
Æternum
20,598 Posts
for instance, a MS3 has a very short powerband due to its rather dinky TD04 and rest of their setup, my friends 09 needs to be shifted no later than about 6400RPM because power plummets at 6500, and only starts really pulling at about 4k.
My fiance's MS3 will hit peak boost at around 1900 RPM but runs out of steam over 5000 RPM.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts