ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everybody! I am new to this forum and I just have questions about my car. I just bought a 2002 wrx (my very 1st subie!) and I was wondering if you have to release the clutch pedal all the way up before it engages? I've been driving MT since I started driving and I have never driven a car like this. Usually I release the clutch halfway and then press gas and it catches. But for this car it's really high, almost all the way up. Is this normal or is there something wrong with my clutch? I also think I have clutch chatter. Is it unsafe to drive the car with this problem?
Thank you so much for your help!
-Angelie

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Aldigs. The clutch SHOULD catch in the first 1/3 of travel from the floor and be fully engaged long before you hit the half way point. If your clutch isn't catching until the very top it MAY just need an adjustment, but being a MY2002 (you didn't note the mileage) it may also need a new clutch plate (eg. clutch job) which isn't too cheap. It isn't unsafe, per se, but eventually you will start to notice a lot of slip. The longer you let it go, the more expensive it will be to fix because when the clutch plate wears out, other items start breaking if you continue to push it. If it were me, and if the car was approaching 100K Miles, I would go ahead and do the clutch. Some Wrx's have been known to go 250K Miles on one clutch, but It completely depends on how it was treated. Good luck!

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
There should be about 1/2" of free play at the top of the clutch pedal travel where it doesn't do anything, then it's pretty quick to engage. I don't agree with the last post at all. It shouldn't at all catch in the bottom 1/3 of travel, nor have I ever driven anything other than a tractor that engages that low. It shouldn't engage until at least the TOP 1/3 of travel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Teflon, maybe it depends on the car or year. I had a 2003 WRX brand new and it was fully engaged by the half way point. I drove a friends 2002 and his was the same way. My 2011 catches closer to the top, but still engages faster than other MT I have driven.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Teflon, maybe it depends on the car or year. I had a 2003 WRX brand new and it was fully engaged by the half way point. I drove a friends 2002 and his was the same way. My 2011 catches closer to the top, but still engages faster than other MT I have driven.
Those old cars both sound like the clutches weren't adjusted right IMHO.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all your responses to my question! I have 113k miles on it already. I took it to Akuma motorsports and they said that it is starting to slip :shakehead: I guess I better get it replaced now before I do more damage to the car. I'm also afraid to drive it to VT in this condition.
Thanks again guys!
-Angelie :tongue:

·
Registered
159 Posts
My 02 catchs at halfway but im at 160k miles and i need to replace my clutch now =(

·
Registered
651 Posts
Thanks for all your responses to my question! I have 113k miles on it already. I took it to Akuma motorsports and they said that it is starting to slip :shakehead: I guess I better get it replaced now before I do more damage to the car. I'm also afraid to drive it to VT in this condition.
Thanks again guys!
-Angelie :tongue:
I'd definitely get it replaced. I drove mine for maybe a week after it started to slip noticeably and it ended up toasting my flywheel too, which added a good $400+ to the repair bill.

·
Registered
4 Posts
so I really need help here... ive posted this on several sites ust trying to get an answer...
I have an 02 wrx and the tranny went out 2 weeks ago, I bought an 05 tranny that has 40k miles on it and installed it with a new oem clutch kit, and swapped the front axles. Bleed everything and not the pedal still has little to no pressure and it has been bleed 4 times, and... the car seems to jolt and jar instead of building up speed. I am at a loss here and im not sure where to begin, I love my bugeye and want to TO LOOK AT NEXT AND WHAT TO TRY! feel free to even text me with an answer, 502 558 9742, my name is mason

1 - 10 of 10 Posts