ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new here. I saw the S209 top speed was at around 164? 0-60 in 5. Something? That can’t be right, right? My RA, I got to 177 and was still pulling...I’ve got it around 4.7, 4.5, 0-60? It’s stock, 1700 miles. Why is that? I know I’m correct on my speeds and time. That’s strange no? View attachment 324494

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hi all, new here. I saw the S209 top speed was at around 164? 0-60 in 5. Something? That can’t be right, right? My RA, I got to 177 and was still pulling...I’ve got it around 4.7, 4.5, 0-60? It’s stock, 1700 miles. Why is that? I know I’m correct on my speeds and time. That’s strange no? View attachment 324494
I am a bit curious about the 177MPH and still pulling? I am equally curious about 310 horsepower taking a brick to 177MPH. It wouldn't be at a timed mile event (Texas Mile) as you are several hundred horsepower short of being able to hit that speed in a standing mile. If your odometer reading is correct, I would hope that all of those top speed and hammer drop times were recent.

·
Æternum
19,985 Posts
I am a bit curious about the 177MPH and still pulling? I am equally curious about 310 horsepower taking a brick to 177MPH. It wouldn't be at a timed mile event (Texas Mile) as you are several hundred horsepower short of being able to hit that speed in a standing mile. If your odometer reading is correct, I would hope that all of those top speed and hammer drop times were recent.
Agreed. Those numbers, unmodified, are very doubtful. I'd also be curious where those numbers were recorded. An STI is not going to hit its top speed on any track with the exception of salt flats.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Agreed. Those numbers, unmodified, are very doubtful. I'd also be curious where those numbers were recorded. An STI is not going to hit its top speed on any track with the exception of salt flats.
You can agree. I’m telling you I did that, can do it, in a stock RA. Why so sad?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’m not trying to start anything. Who said I was doing a quarter, racing anyone, or flexing? I just asked why the statistics where way off? I’m telling you, I promise my stock RA will go at least 180 and 0-60 in under 5

·
Registered
13 Posts
Total bs dude.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Æternum
19,985 Posts
Not a fan of magazine racing, but since that's what you're doing thought I'd post the C&D results for the 2018 STI RA

0-60 in 5.7 seconds (regular STI is 4.8)
Drag Limited Top speed is 160mph (Regular STI is 164)

Yes these numbers DO make sense -- the stickier rubber on the RA and S209 bog the engine down during hard launches, leading to a slower time to 60 from a dig. FYR, 5-60 times have always been in the 6 second range for the STI.

Top speed SHOULD be lower than a standard STI thanks to all those Aero bits. They sure add a nice bit of cornering prowess on the track but are a liability at full tilt.

What was the point of this post anyway? Judging by the defensive responses, I'd judge some type of FOMO thanks to a newer and better car on the market. Don't worry, the next gen STI set to launch in a month or so will blow all of them out of the water.

·
Registered
210 Posts
If you don’t like what I’m saying, get in a RA and prove me wrong.
This I can state. I already have a car that has been timed at Volkswagen's 7.2 mile high speed test track at 202MPH. In timed mile events, the typical trap speeds run from 174-177MPH. I even have a 2.0 litre in-line 4 pot that puts out considerably more that 310 horsepower. With the tack package (I don't have that package so ours is limited to 155MPH), they typically drag limit out at 168ishMPH.

I have posted a few PDR videos on here from COTA, NCM Raceway and NOLA Motorsports, oh yea, nearly forgot, Beech Bend NHRA Raceway. I do my share of magazine racing, too. However, I have real track and strip time

EDIT I just traded a couple of PMs with a friend of mine who visits Mexico on occasion. He has a 2017 1SS Camaro with the 6M (TR 6060). The 1SS is some 100 pounds lighter than the 2SS that I owned before my ZL1. Anyway, his 1SS drag limits out at ~174-176MPH (in Mexico). This takes a good 2 miles of straight asphalt. FWIW the SS Camaro puts out 455HP and 455 foot pounds of torque. I think that is more than 310. I didn't get into whether he had brake cooling plates and ducts installed (a bit more drag) or not.

So color me SKEPTICAL.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Please tell us which hurricane you were driving downhill in when you achieved warp speed.
This begs the further question of the type of sail that was being used, too? Perhaps the sail was furled at a certain speed?

This is where Zax weighs in an gives me a bit of a physics lesson about the sail actually causing too much drag at speed XX and wouldn't be used. This bit of science would lay waste to my old time saying about these types of events; I was running downhill, down wind, with the sail up. Another teenaged myth busted.

·
Æternum
19,985 Posts
Well, since you asked for it, here's the physics answer:

Any sail will only create drag. Assuming a constant and perfect pressure differential, Aerodynamic drag is expressed as:

D = Cd * 0.5*ρ*V^2 * A

ρ is the density of the fluid
Cd is the coefficient of drag
V is the velocity of the moving body with respect to the static fluid condition
A is the frontal area of the moving body

In this idealized situation, we can consider "wind" to be a static fluid condition with a velocity phase offset to the ground (this is grossly oversimplified but will work).

Therefore, any increase to the coefficient of Drag OR the frontal Area -- both of which a "sail" will do, increases drag and therefore decreases top speed.

·
Æternum
19,985 Posts
^^^ This is also assuming infinite gear ratios and zero driveline friction. You know, the typical physics 101 shit.

My mind isn't quite what it once was, so don't expect more :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts