Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have any idea of how fast some of them are? I know there are a bunch of different kinds, like Crown Vics, older 5.0s sometimes, and Camaro highway patrol where I live.

Any idea what the 1/4 mile times would be?

Drag racing with one of these with their sirens blazing sure would be neat...there was an article about street racing in some magazine and there are some places where cops will drag race one night of the week just to discourage people from running from cops. LOL

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I would love to see a cop car drag race another street car. I just saw an unmarked newer model camaro the other day, I bet that thing would kill a lot of cars off the line. But if you ever do run your best bet is to go down some dirt road and put your AWD to the test, that camaro would be spining all over the place.

·
Thinking Man's Engine
1,598 Posts
the cop package for the Crown Vics has more weight, and the light bar isn't really aerodynamic.

But they can push cars when they need to and hop curbs when they need to.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
KanosWRX said:
I would love to see a cop car drag race another street car. I just saw an unmarked newer model camaro the other day, I bet that thing would kill a lot of cars off the line. But if you ever do run your best bet is to go down some dirt road and put your AWD to the test, that camaro would be spining all over the place.
The "camaro... spinning all over the place" part of your post is amusing when juxtaposed with your avatar.

misterx

·
Registered
932 Posts
tan said:
the cop package for the Crown Vics has more weight, and the light bar isn't really aerodynamic.
I've driven many of the "Police Interceptor" Crown Vics. I've gotta say they have a lot fo torque on tap. You can make the tires squeal from a stop at partial throttle, and even from 20 mph when you step on it. The handling is awful though. You feel like you're piloting a yacht.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
MisterX said:

The "camaro... spinning all over the place" part of your post is amusing when juxtaposed with your avatar.

misterx
hehe, my accident was on pavement not gravel :)

·
1,379 Posts
Ouch, MrX! :eek:

I read a while back where one SCCA chapter had a charity "beat the heat" autocross where the local PD fielded a 5.0 cop car and several cops to drive it... Not quite everybody ran faster than the cops, but it was close. :D

·
Moderating U!
4,192 Posts
Trailboss516 said:
Anybody have any idea of how fast some of them are? I know there are a bunch of different kinds, like Crown Vics, older 5.0s sometimes, and Camaro highway patrol where I live.

Any idea what the 1/4 mile times would be?

Drag racing with one of these with their sirens blazing sure would be neat...there was an article about street racing in some magazine and there are some places where cops will drag race one night of the week just to discourage people from running from cops. LOL
Every Wednesday night at Sears Point raceway, a few of Napa counties finest come out and run their police cars. They run 16's and 17's in the 1/4mile. They also have 2 crown vics with flowmaster exhaust systems but I don't remember what they ran. I have pictures at home I will post later tonight. And some of them turn on their lights down the track. But for some reason they never run against each other.

Kurlee Daddee
(THE ORIGINAL)

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So approximately what numbers do you think they would put up?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
AutoXJunkie said:
Ouch, MrX! :eek:

I read a while back where one SCCA chapter had a charity "beat the heat" autocross where the local PD fielded a 5.0 cop car and several cops to drive it... Not quite everybody ran faster than the cops, but it was close. :D
I should have put a wink after that post of mine to kanos. I hope he's not offended as no offense was intended. Kanos has displayed a really good attitude about his mishap and I expect he chuckled at my remark.

misterx:cool: ?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
As far as the crown vics are concerned, Popular Mechanics did a comparison between a crown vic interceptor and the civilians version of the same car. The civilan version did better in every test (IIRC). They attributed this to the excess weight of the interceptor, as best I remember. It made a lot of people mad. I personally thought it was funny. People need to lighten up, and the interceptor needs some work....

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Its cool, no offense taken. I remember there was some video on the net of a modified AWD talon (eclipse) trying to outrun a police crusier. The cop car couldn't keep up so they called in a 5.0 mustang. eventually the guy screwed up and lost it, still it was interesting to watch, wish I remembered where I saw it.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Every year the IDRC race here they field a couple of Colo State Patrol Z-28. They run hi 15s in the quarter up here. I imagine alot of that has to do with aerodynamics and the fact that they are geared for highway duty. Like 3.11 rear-end or soemthing.

·
Registered
907 Posts
not as fast as my R6...i passed one by the freeway goin about 160 he didnt even bother to follow...

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
i know the highway patrol tx cars crown vic's run 15's...the Z's down there run low 14's high 13's. However thats at sea level...i'm just scared about the Z's up here, but they're only running 15's? Yea the gearing must be the reason along w/ the elevation

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
cop cars are so slow. They have damn near 4500lbs or more in weight and all their crap inside. I talked to a state cop once and i asked him about the car. He thought i was some dumb kid that knew sh*t about cars. He said they were specially built motors with high horsepower. I laughed so hard. The cop said it in such an arrogant cocky way. Those cars are more cruising and comfort than blazing speed. Odds are someone won't run. It's like 1 in 10thousand cars run at high speeds or somthing.

The question i have is. Will the state or dept pay for a car. Like if i myself would ever become a cop i'd want to soop up my wrx and use that as a cop car. Have the state or dept pay for some mods throw some lights in there and that would be a bad ass cop car!!!

·
Registered
265 Posts
cool, i have a freind that has a caprice classic cop car, he bought it a couple of years ago when he worked for a car dealer that did the conversions, they come in as cop pgk. but no cb and lights and such. has about 140K miles. It was a detectives car, still has lights in the grill. I do know that it will get up and go, we would kill him in a drag or tight turn setting, he would smoke me (stock) on the hwy, i have seen 150 on the speedo and still had some. It has an LT1 motor, super duty 700R or R700 tranny can"t remember, oil coolers and all. I will run him and let y'all know. It has been raining and is not supposed to let up for a week or so, it might take awile. Where the hell did all this rain come from, we got 7" this mo. and only avg. 30-40 a year.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
SpeedRacerWRX02 said:
The question i have is. Will the state or dept pay for a car. Like if i myself would ever become a cop i'd want to soop up my wrx and use that as a cop car. Have the state or dept pay for some mods throw some lights in there and that would be a bad ass cop car!!!
We had a cop (undercover) who worked out in the gym where I worked during college. He had a new mustang (at the time) and had it ported/polished. Had a 375-shot (IIRC), and all kinds of crap done to it. He said that the county would pay half of whatever he did to it. It was scary fast!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts