Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night coming from church my wife and I were just cruising along at the speed limit, when a Eclipse GS-T pulls up next to me and starts revving and letting off his BOV.

The car actually looked pretty nice...wasn't too riced out except for the BIG wing on the back. Exhaust sounded ok, wheels were nice, etc.

Anyways, we were side by side and he kept trying to get me to go (doing about 45 or so). So I said to my wife..'watch this' and dropped to 3rd and took off instantly and left him behind by 2 car lengths. Before we took off he sounded like he was already in 3rd but somehow he couldn't take off and keep up with me. :D

So I stopped cause i didn't want to go that fast (went from 45 to uh..60 really fast..hehe) and then he goes zooming by me...

At the next light he was trying to get me to go (it was a turn for both of us) but there was a slow mini-van in front of me and plus we were home already. :)

Just curious...maybe if we started at a dead roll it might have been better..but i thought GS-T's were pretty fast?

anyhoo...it was fun. My wife had a blast :)

~V

·
Registered
643 Posts
GS-T's can be pretty quick. I've seen a couple with Jap spec motor's with upgraded T running high 12's in my area. I personally think that the GSX has more potential.

Those new ones are heavy and clunky (not to mention how ugly they are). Haven't seen one that can hang with us. Then again, Most people that bought this car are busy break dancing in it
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
59 Posts
the new ones are v6 non-turbo as well, which equals plenty more weight, aside from being butt ugly.

the gs-t's are pretty quick. the gs-x's are quicker off the line. the fwd turbos are lighter though they have the fwd launch blues.

the guy probably didn't know how to drive. weren't they nearly 200 hp?

i still remember playing with an asian chickie (a nice looking one) in her rust colored (actually very nice) gs-x and my sc mr2 on the highway. we had fun exchanging and matching speeds.

i've also had a 1st gen gs-x spank me a new one when i had the mr2, and this from a gal driver (she had the launch down).

the important thing is your wife had fun. whooohoooo.

·
Registered
649 Posts
210 Horses. A little under a second slower to 60 and in the quarter mile stock. However have huge mod potential. That is if they don't break down first.

·
Registered
354 Posts
This one was built by a friend of mine -

http://31061.com/bestauto/97gst.html

It looks like a stock car - stock body, wheels, etc. The tires aren't even anything special (no DRs or even Potenza S03's), just plain Z-rated tires in the stock 205/55/16 size.

It has since laid down 610 whp, and you can imagine that any 1/4mi run - even on slicks - is a tirespinning marathon. It terrorizes the highways of Alabama on a regular basis.

The car you described sounds like a typical rice mobile. The money he spent on that open BOV (which hurts power on a mass air car) could have been used for a turbo swap (you can buy a used stock 90-94 turbo for a couple hundred bucks). The tiny T25 won't give you more than 95-96 mph traps no matter what you do. Sounds like your car is faster than that so he lost.

I can imagine him talking to his friends now "My whoosh valve didn't help me. I guess I need more stickers and probably some clear tails".

They're a *full second* slower than a WRX in the 1/4, and several MPH as well. The 95+ models are rated at 210hp but the boost control setup actually slows spool "so it feels like a larger engine instead of an artificial power" (from Mitsu's press releases).

·
Registered
306 Posts
the gst's are faster then the gsx's from a roll. gsx's are heavy(4wd) compared to the gst's. but gsx's are awesome off the line compared to gst's.

peter

·
Premium Member
13,832 Posts
Holy crappola! That Eclipse link is nuts. :eek:

I love sleepers that can tear apart much flashier cars. I would think nothing of that car if I pulled up next to it. I love how the car is all dirty in the picture...sweet!

·
Registered
176 Posts
If you think our cars have potential they really don't hold a candle to what you can do with a DSM. Either GS-T(FWD) or GSX(AWD) in terms of HP potential. If a DSM lined up with me I would be ready for a but whoopin on my part personally :).

·
Registered
59 Posts
gotta love sleepers. it's the only way to fly, imo.

the dsm's are formidable as long as you build them right. i had heard their trannies weren't so fond of hot mods without some assistance though, not that ours would be much different.

·
Registered
649 Posts
They also have the dreaded "crankwalk" problem in 95-whatever cars (got it in mine which is why I now own a WRX). Plus numerous recalls, reliability problems, etc. Fast they may be, but reliable they aren't.

·
Registered
21 Posts
just out of curiosity, was it dark silver/gray, tall aluminum wing, pretty low, and driver wearing a beanie?
If so, I see this guy riding around all the time. Always going the opposite way though :(. Maybe one day I'll get the opportunity too. haha

·
Registered
354 Posts
In the Eclipse link there is a white Galant VR4 in the background. It's owned by the guy who did the engine building & tuning on the Eclipse.

Here's that Galant vs. a single turbo Supra:

http://www.gmc.cc.ga.us/grocmax.avi

·
Registered
106 Posts
Integra96 said:
Holy crappola! That Eclipse link is nuts. :eek:

I love sleepers that can tear apart much flashier cars. I would think nothing of that car if I pulled up next to it.
But if it came up behind you, you couldn't miss that Rhode Island-sized FMIC....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts