ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does a stock WRX (not STi) fair against other vehicles on the freeway at speeds 70+. I am asking about cars such as base Mustang's, GT Mustang's, GSR's, Prelude's, Type S RSX's, 330i's, 350z's, regular/turbo Supras, s2000's, turbo Eclipse's, GT-S Celica's....

Does the AWD and the fact that its a 4cly screw the WRX when it comes to high end? I drive my WRX on the freeway and havent really raced anyone and would just like to know the possible outcomes.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
With AWD our cars (stock) put down somewhere around the range of 160 to 170 AWHP. I believe that's pretty close to an RSX-S but correct me if I'm wrong. The gearing on those cars may be better too so it's hard to say what the outcome would be. My car was only stock for the first 1000 mile break in and I didn't race it then anyways so I'm not sure how you'd do. My guess is you'd not win so save yourself the embarrasement and don't race.

·
1,816 Posts
Top end racing is for unskillful wannabes. Even launching takes more skill and going around turns is in a whole different league. Aerodynamics play a part of it as well.

-Chris

·
Registered
883 Posts
this is un true... highway racing takes skill also; u must visualize where u can go next, u have to know how fast ur car can get into gaps and out of them, how fast u can jink to one side and also what gear to shift down too and to build ur boost and match rpm speeds when u do. when i only had my car stock and i was breaking it in i beat all the 3 series beamers except an m3.(never got to race them) no stock honda can beat that car even on the free ways. but the new 6 speed rsx is a different story. i cant waite to race one of those. mustang g.t.'s will take u after about 110mph. and if u catch a camaro --- start drafting off of him ull be supsrised how long u stay right on his bumper but hell eventually pull away.

·
Registered
897 Posts
hksimprezawrx said:
this is un true... highway racing takes skill also; u must visualize where u can go next, u have to know how fast ur car can get into gaps and out of them, how fast u can jink to one side and also what gear to shift down too and to build ur boost and match rpm speeds when u do. when i only had my car stock and i was breaking it in i beat all the 3 series beamers except an m3.(never got to race them) no stock honda can beat that car even on the free ways. but the new 6 speed rsx is a different story. i cant waite to race one of those. mustang g.t.'s will take u after about 110mph. and if u catch a camaro --- start drafting off of him ull be supsrised how long u stay right on his bumper but hell eventually pull away.
i think you are a bit wrong. first of all, i think that a well driven 330 will be a wrx stock up high. rsx will not beat a wrx up top. an rsx-s is a different story, its pretty much down to the driver. The rsx-s if not mistaken, ever since their introduction came in 6-speed, right? if its a z28, trans am, ws6, formula, ss, etc. best guess is that you take the next exit so that you dont make a fool out of yourself. i guess, though, that it is always a drivers race. when i had my wrx(auto) with just upp, dp, catback, bc... i took a number of z28's from a roll, though on paper, its a different thing.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
hksimprezawrx said:
this is un true... highway racing takes skill also; u must visualize where u can go next, u have to know how fast ur car can get into gaps and out of them, how fast u can jink to one side and also what gear to shift down too and to build ur boost and match rpm speeds when u do.
If you actually do what you are describing here with other people on the highway, then you are an idiot and do not deserve the car you have. Don't be ignorant. Highway racing is retarded and should never be done.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
People shouldnt say highway racing is retarded if they do things like drag racing or something of that nature. Racing in general is not safe (except those organized track events) and i bet almost all wrx owners race their cars on the streets from time to time.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
WRXakaBooSTi said:
People shouldnt say highway racing is retarded if they do things like drag racing or something of that nature. Racing in general is not safe (except those organized track events) and i bet almost all wrx owners race their cars on the streets from time to time.
Drag racing at 2 in the am down an abandoned road is a little different than weaving in and out of traffic needlessly endangering the lives of people who want nothing to do with our hobby. Therefore I stand by my statement. Highway racing is for morons.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
never heard of that, but i dont think even a hyundais frame would be unstable at over 100. i dont think cars like that would be allowed on the road.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The knowing what gaps you can fit into and race like your on an actually highway thing is really gay. And i seriously hope that you dont race that way or you will be kicked into the ricer club. Also most most of the cars that you are asking about will take a rex from a roll. Also to the two that were saying you can hang on with a z28:screwy: :sadwave: :rotfl:

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Shangsta said:
Also to the two that were saying you can hang on with a z28:screwy: :sadwave: :rotfl:
An LT1 they prolly could. I'm only catless and was able to put 5 carlengths on one.

·
Registered
27,068 Posts
WRXakaBooSTi said:
How about GSR's and Type R's? New and old gen turbo supras?
gsr vs wrx will be close, but the wrx will pull a couple as long as you dont start at like 80mph or something

type R will beat a stock wrx uptop

MKIII supra (old gen) will do pretty well. The wrx should still win, because those cars are only beasts when modded.

MKIV (new gen TT supra) will own a wrx BAD! these are not even close to the same league. supra will beat vettes on the top end and run mid 500 whp with minimal mods

BOTTOM LINE: wrx isnt great from a roll... it will hold its own against most cars, but there are many cars that it would DESTROY in the 1/4 mile, yet lose to uptop. but going catless def. helps, A LOT

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
766 Posts
hksimprezawrx said:
There are a few stock Honda's that will beat a stock WRX top end.

Honda S2000
Honda Accord V6
Acrua CL Type S
Acura TL
Acura TL-S

I mean, the WRX would beat most of them froma dig, but from a stop I'm nto so sure. RAcing from a roll is kind of stupid anyway IMO. It really doesn't take much skill..unless you can't select the right gear. Then you probably shouldn't be driving a sports car anyway. :p

1 - 20 of 27 Posts