Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am new here, as well as a new WRX owner. The car is incredible, but I see so much potential for power with little cost. My question is for all of you stage 1 or 2 WRX owners, how does the car handle the additional power? Granted you do not beat the living crap out of it, can the clutch handle the torque without slipping? What about the differentials etc? I had a GTI which I tuned, 3 months later the clutch was slipping. The WRX feels infinitely more solid, but you never know!

· Not a mod... or is he? Or, is he not?
15,792 Posts
My older one has had a tune and a dp for a good long while and the clutch doesnt slip. Although I bought mine as a basket case, it runs well.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

· Registered
56 Posts
I had mine tuned stage 1 with no problems other than the tune itself which is being fixed because of fine knock readings. I switched to the Cobb Stage 1 V301 HWG 93 Octane and it runs very well. No knock, pulls hard through the revs/gears, no lag. No rev hang and the turbo is linear with the throttle.
I got 252 AWHP and 281 TQ

I would recommend the OTS Stage 1 map from Cobb APv3 all day long over the stock tune. Very impressive IMO with a completely stock car.

· Registered
56 Posts
I went with a pro tune myself and the car runs great. I did find out that the tuner actually started with the Cobb OTS map as a baseline then tuned from there. I ran the stock Cobb93 v301 HWG tune and experienced no knock and DAM stayed at 1. No issues whatsoever, and was WAY better than the stock tune, but not as much snot as the pro tune. With the Cobb OTS map you really have to mash the pedal to get all the boost. If they could front load that boost a bit it would be a better OTS tune IMO.

· Registered
16 Posts
Just play it safe until you're ready to pay big. The 300whp mark seems to be pretty safe. Most of the blown engines reported on here were tuned above 350whp and running E85. It all really boils down to how much money you have to blow.

· Village Idiot
3,468 Posts
Strange to hear this...From all the reading Ive done on here it sounds like these cars are meant to be tuned and its relatively safe and reliable.
These cars aren't meant to be tuned. No car is meant to be tuned. They are built to handle the stock power for an extended period of time. Anything over that and you lessen the life of the motor. The phrase "you have to pay to play" always sticks.

Now, as others have said, some have found that the rods cant handle much power over 350-400 torque. However, from what I've seen this new motor handles your simple power bolt ons like J-pipe and intake fairly well. Keep in mind, we are still in the beginning of the life of these new motors. This means that not much is known yet about their true longevity and more importantly how long they hold up with more power.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.