This is after driving from Chicago to Lansing, average 90 mph:D

·
Registered
691 Posts
actually, the snow prolly down more bad than good by blocking airflow

·
Registered
230 Posts
From what I understand in drag cars with intercoolers/turbos they literally pack the intercooler with ice on launch. I'm not sure how fast it melts, but I'm guessing the cooling effect must outweight the ari restriction if that is the case. Odd but thats just what I heard.

Para

·
Premium Member
6,716 Posts
Shibby said:
actually, the snow prolly down more bad than good by blocking airflow
yea, I was thinking about that.. the top portion of the radiator looks to be completely blocked by snow :confused1. But I suppose if the IC started warming up it would melt the snow and let the air flow freely through. I guess if it's snowing the outside air temp is probably colder than the snow itself..

·
Registered
164 Posts
The snow helped the intercooler out. water tranfers heat (or Cold) better than air. Remember, you cant get hypothermia by standing in 70 degree air because air does not transfer temp as well as water. In 70 degree water you will be hypothermic in hours of being in the water (Snow). Icing intakes and intercoolers is well know in drag racing. The part about the radiator being blocked, as long as the engine was cool there was no prob there, the ambient cold temp and the air from the scoop kept the engine cold. I did notice that the left side was covered with snow and the right side was clear,,, Which side did the hot air enter?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Yes it is,,, everything in back of the snow covered radiator will be well insulated, but the snow in direct contact with the intercooler will drop the temp drastically. put your hand in a freezer and you can tolerate it for a bit, but hold some ice cubes in your hand and you will feel it quicker. The intercooler benifitted, but I dont know how the engine fared being it was insulated from the incoming air.

·
Banned
601 Posts
"Yes it is,,, everything in back of the snow covered radiator will be well insulated, but the snow in direct contact with the intercooler will drop the temp drastically."

If there is snow on the intercooler, it's cold out, and the air is probably as cold as the snow. Blocking the air with snow would impare the efficiency of the intercooler. The cold air will cool the inner fins, the snow won't...... I have heard of people putting ice on their intercoolers, but not drag cars, and when putting ice on, the ice cools the air a little, and creates a misting effect on the intercooler. I've heard of drag cars using liquid cooled intercoolers which use icewater with ice in it to cool down the intercooler. This obviously wouldn't be as good if the track was longer then a quarter mile...... The ford lightning aslo uses some type of liquid cooled aftercooler, but whatever. The point is, I would think in a place where there could be snow on your intercooler, the intercooler would work much better without the snow on it....

peace

·
Registered
164 Posts
I agree with you Hippy, I was assuming the snow packed into the fins and not just coat the outside. The new lightning is using the A/C as a cooling device for short bursts of power before a small recharge time for re-cooling the system. Does anyone know the direction orf the FMIC in the pic, it looks as if the hot air going in was on the right side with the cool air exiting on the left.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Someone said it back there somewhere...

If your intercooler was less efficient because of the snow blocking it, I can only imagine the snow would melt off pretty quick... It doesnt take much to get them hot...

Go for a blast down the road and then touch your I/C, the entry end will be hot/warm to touch and the other end should be ambient temp (if its workin to its peak efficiency) this is how mine is.

Its great, I can run 15 laps of our track and get out after running 1.5 bar and can hardly touch the entry end, but the other end is nice and cold to touch...:D

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Airflow is much better than the snow or ice. The last time this topic was discussed i cited how about 3 years ago the Subaru WRC car blew its motor up since snow blocked the front mount.

·
Registered
691 Posts
CKxx, i like the avatar

1 - 13 of 13 Posts