Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a modified 2008 subaru wrx sedan currently getting a new block right now. i am going to be driving it 1000+ miles in a month and was wondering what are some ways i can get better MPG. i currently get 15 city 18 highway.... not to great for a 4 cylinder. obviously the tune is the main reason why its sucking my gas tank but just to save a couple mpg would be a huge help if anyone could give some advice.

·
For External Use Only
2,488 Posts
Your bad gas mileage could've been related to whatever made it blow.

with a good tune and proper maintenance (Clean maf/filters, good plugs, etc) you should be getting at least 21-23 hwy and 17-19 city

·
Registered
73 Posts
Driver influence plays a huge role. I had tanks in my TDI swing from 48mpg to 37-38mpg depending on how I drove along the same commute. ~20%

Do you have any aero mods? Wing, splitter, spats, etc? If so, lose them, they are all increasing drag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
Gavin,

Glad you are able to get a new engine block and back on the road so quickly. I found I get around 18 to 26 in the city(San Francisco) depending on how much traffic and hills I have. Light traffic and good cruising distance will result in 26mpg but otherwise will get around 18.

If you like to accelerate quickly, then you are getting the right mpg.

I am not sure if you had any experience in driving a Honda Civic Hybrid. But if you did, then you will know how to be very light on the gas paddle. I mean the gas I give is just enough to move the car without stalling it, and shift below 2k RPM and shift aggressively so I can cruise without much gas at all. It's definitely not a "fun" drive but it helps a lot with mpg.

·
Super Moderator
11,709 Posts
I get about 19 on the highway, and 15 city driving. I don't think there is a lot you can do, you'll never see 30+ consistently on that ej

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,709 Posts
This topic comes up often, and more people get around d 19-22 highway than get anything less. But I wouldn't expect great mileage on a modified engine, ever.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,716 Posts
Precise control of your right foot will be the biggest factor by far. I was able to get anywhere from 16mpg to 32mpg averaged over an entire tank of gas, mixed city and highway driving in my modified bugeye depending on how I drove.. and that car doesn't have cruise control.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Gavin,

Glad you are able to get a new engine block and back on the road so quickly. I found I get around 18 to 26 in the city(San Francisco) depending on how much traffic and hills I have. Light traffic and good cruising distance will result in 26mpg but otherwise will get around 18.

If you like to accelerate quickly, then you are getting the right mpg.

I am not sure if you had any experience in driving a Honda Civic Hybrid. But if you did, then you will know how to be very light on the gas paddle. I mean the gas I give is just enough to move the car without stalling it, and shift below 2k RPM and shift aggressively so I can cruise without much gas at all. It's definitely not a "fun" drive but it helps a lot with mpg.
Car is not done yet but need to prep for the long 1000+ mile drive when it's ready which should be in the next week or so. City driving ya I understand I love to drive the car and give it some gas so 15mpg city isn't something I mind but 18mpg was horriblI drove 100 miles doing 75-80mph the entire time no traffic. It's at the tuner right now should I maybe talk to him about a new tune?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.