ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to reset my ECU. After I installed my AccessPort Stage2, I left the lower DP heatshield on. It was rattling for a while, so I went back and removed it. Now, I'm afraid that the ECU might have thought that rattling was some kind of engine knock. So, now that I've got all of the rattles gone, I want to reset my ECU and let it re-learn everything rattle-free.

My question is this: When you guys reset your ECU, do you just drive normally while it's re-learning? Do you drive it harder than usual (make lots of runs to the redline w/full boost)? Do you drive it "easier" than usual? So, I guess my real question is: does it matter how hard you drive the car when it's re-learning? For example, if you drive it really easily while it's re-learning, will you end up with less power in the long run than if you drove it hard during the re-learning process?

I know about the "5-second" learning trick, but I think I want to stay away from it this time... I know that if there are any problems present (knock, etc.) when you do that, it will only make them worse (until you let it re-learn again).

Thanks in advance! :wiggles:

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
the harder you drive it the faster it learns. It needs to hit max fuel and air many times to see what levels it needs to be running. Learning it the slow way is best for the engine but you will typically not get as much horsepower as you would by doing the quick learn. However, over time it doesn't matter because any knocking will be recognized by the computer anyhow and it will pull timing regardless.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts