Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I park in a garage at work & as I'm walking through I often check out cars & tires. Snow is falling & low temps bring ice but I see so many summer tires still. Around where I park there is 3 wrx & an sti all with original tires. This got me looking closer on other cars & noticed about 7 Mercedes, 5 BMW, a corvette, 2 Porche & 1 mustang.

I swapped my tires when the temp dropped consistently below 50 & snow was in the forcast. A few colder mornings my summers seemed to have a flat side till I got going on the highway & weren't happy cold if there was wet roads &/or leaves on the road. I had always just used all season but was impressed with the difference winter tires made. So much that I was thinking of getting my mom a set for her toyota.

·
Super Moderator
24,466 Posts
Stupidly, potentially criminally imo.

·
Æternum
15,551 Posts
Poorly.

·
Æternum
15,551 Posts
Give me ignorance or give me death.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I think many are ignorant and not true drivers -- they really have no clue as to how much tires contribute to the car driving better . . . or safer.

Some are lazy . . . and just wait, wait and wait to get the tires changed . . . if at all.

Some are cheap (ironic when it comes to folks driving the high end cars) . . . and just don't want to lay out money for snow tires (especially if it is a lease.)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Because so many people simply have no idea. I was one of the ignorant when I had my Mazda 3. When I reflect on it, I realize I had summer/performance tires but I wasnt expecting that and clearly didnt pay the correct attention. I had lots of sliding issues with snow and even when my girlfriend asked about tires, I dismissed it.

Given I was one of the very, very ignorant.... I see how people do it. Even when I bought the WRX, I knew I wanted to get tires but figured I was just an average driver without the winters, figured I just wasnt making best use of AWD. The I learned my first time going under 15 with a slight tap of the brakes that cause me to slide to the right that I undervalued tires. I know how to drive in the snow but the summers made it near impossible and I was completely ignorant. Not lack of funds or desire to take care of my car, simply ignorance at how much of an impact it makes.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I think most owners just see the AWD and assume its enough. I have driven on summers on different Sti's in the winter and its the same fear everytime until I get home and throw the dedicated winter tires and wheels on. Maybe you have milder winters but driving here with summers on is almost like asking to be in an accident even driving reasonable. Dedicated winters/Dedicated summers > all seasons.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
38,618 Posts
I leave my summers on when there's ice and snow.

Here in the southeast, it may happen once with any intensity a year, and we all just stay home anyway because everything closes..

·
Master Baiter
12,649 Posts
I run studded Nokian snows on every vehicle because my driveway sucks.

I laid down 700 lbs of halite to make sure my family could get up my driveway for Christmas Eve / Christmas day dinner, because they buy all-season tires.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
38,618 Posts

·
Water.....sometimes waves
1,611 Posts
Because so many people simply have no idea. I was one of the ignorant when I had my Mazda 3. When I reflect on it, I realize I had summer/performance tires but I wasnt expecting that and clearly didnt pay the correct attention. I had lots of sliding issues with snow and even when my girlfriend asked about tires, I dismissed it.

Given I was one of the very, very ignorant.... I see how people do it. Even when I bought the WRX, I knew I wanted to get tires but figured I was just an average driver without the winters, figured I just wasnt making best use of AWD. The I learned my first time going under 15 with a slight tap of the brakes that cause me to slide to the right that I undervalued tires. I know how to drive in the snow but the summers made it near impossible and I was completely ignorant. Not lack of funds or desire to take care of my car, simply ignorance at how much of an impact it makes.
Agreed totally. Funny how that is so true with so much of life in general. We all have to "re-learn" everything everyone else before us (and with us) knew (knows). We need an app for instant prior knowledge automatic transfer (IPKAT) to all newborns.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I think a lot of people aren't even aware of what tires they have on their cars. The dealership sells them an AWD performance vehicle and says nothing about the tires. I would imagine if you're a salesman haggling over those last few pennies on a car the last thing you would want to tell them is that they'll need an additional $800 in tires for the winter, let alone $200 per year to swap them out.

Me? I'm cheap this year. Our winter last year was mostly anywhere between high 30's to high 50's. We only had a couple inches of snow total which melted within a day. I felt like I got burned paying $200 for the swap, let alone the time to do it. This year I have a take home car for work. When (if) it snows, my car will stay in the garage. I'll take my take home car to work when necessary and stay at home if my wife isn't home. So far we had 2" of snow over night and the roads were clear the next day. I almost always only drive my car in the cold on 10 minute trips and I drive cautiously considering my summer tires don't have as much grip on cold pavement. Some people will argue that even in the cold it's irresponsible, but not when driving cautiously with my average speed 30-40 mph. I drive my car like one of those grandpa's slow rolling around in his new Corvette anyway, so not much changes in that aspect.

·
MassSubaru
92 Posts
How do people drive on summer tires in ice & snow?

I personally use all season tires on my stock Subaru wheels that came with my 2011 WRX. A lot of people give me crap for not having “winter” and “summer” tires but I don’t see a big reason why I should spend more money when the all season tires I have now work great?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Guessing you didn't see the fine print.. :)
I still stand behind my statement!

When I lived in San Antonio with my 04 WRX I had some cheap M/S rated tires that were a directional Hard as rock, no tire cyping as close to a legal slick tire.... yes you read that right, just strange. anyways we got a good ice storm and my boss called me bitching because I would go into work with a AWD vehicle...... IDK what the point of this story is. but there you have it!

·
Master Baiter
12,649 Posts
Wierz1995 said:
I personally use all season tires on my stock Subaru wheels that came with my 2011 WRX. A lot of people give me crap for not having “winter” and “summer” tires but I don’t see a big reason why I should spend more money when the all season tires I have now work great?
Because dedicated sets perform better in their respective seasons than an A/S tire?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts