ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I paint my fog lights yellow? Anyone no where a good place to find the paint is? And how much should it cost?

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
I've painted my fogs before. You can get the glass paint at Michael's or pretty much any craft-type store.

Painting is good if you have hairline cracks or rock chips in your fogs. It looked perfect, did a great job protecting the lenses, and did tint the light yellow.

It's also cheap, the paint was like $8.

This has been answered before, search on here for how to paint your fog lights. I've posted a "how to" somewhere here.

Sent from my Droid 2

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
Any reason for painting them instead of just using the yellow hue blubs that are supposed to be used in fog lights?

For looks, I take it?

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
Why exactly do you want yellow fogs? If it's for tinting the light output yellow, then painting will work better than the overlays. If it's just for looks, then overlays are a good choice. He's part of an email I got from Daniel Stern on this topic.

Nobody makes yellow bulbs in quality worth buying. You can spend (waste) a great deal of money on dozens of brands of junk, but there's no _good_ yellow bulb on the market. If you're trying for yellow fog lamps, the stick-on films don't really tint the light very effectively. You can get good results by removing the fogs, cleaning the lenses *thoroughly*, and spraying them with several coats of Dupli-Color Metalcast yellow, which is a transparent yellow paint product: Dupli-Color :: Metalcast
. Let each coat "flash off" (dry most of the way) before applying the next, and use thin coats so you don't get drips and "sags" in the wet paint. With each successive coat, the yellow tint will grow deeper. Make them about 2 shades deeper than you think looks right, and it'll turn out well in the end. Of course, the coating needs to be permitted to dry and harden completely before you take the fogs out on the road, otherwise dust and grit will become embedded in the still-tacky surface.
Just some food for thought.

·
Æternum
20,938 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what's the deal with the yellow fogs?

·
The Fruit
4,728 Posts
yes I did and I disagree. Try some PIAA ion crystal bulbs and then tell me there are no yellow bulbs worth buying :thumbup:
if they're over wattage (like most piaa bulbs are) its worth buying new connectors and fog lights too.. cuz when they melt you'll need em.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what's the deal with the yellow fogs?
Well, some light the look of the tinted lenses, others believe the yellow light reflects less in dense fog. IIRC, some DOT study found yellow light didn't actually reduce glare, but jury's out on that, and I don't have any proof.

Sent from my Droid 2

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,466 Posts
The paint used to be very common. I remember it being sold in small nail-polish-style applicators, for those intending to drive into France. At the time, headlamps (not just fogs) had to be yellow there.

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
Well, some light the look of the tinted lenses, others believe the yellow light reflects less in dense fog. IIRC, some DOT study found yellow light didn't actually reduce glare, but jury's out on that, and I don't have any proof.
I find they work great for fog. Yellow is much less harsh on the eyes. Same reason shooters use yellow safety glasses and most driving glasses use a yellow hue. Reduces glare,haze and increases clarity. I find it also makes a noticeable difference in rain and snow driving. Hella,Cibe' and PIAA all make amber fog lights. Some color the reflector and not the glass.

·
Registered
367 Posts
honestly got some cheap yellow tints off ebay and they are awesome, definitely worth the 6 bucks. They look alot more yellow then when i just had the yellow bulbs in

·
The Fruit
4,728 Posts
I find they work great for fog. Yellow is much less harsh on the eyes. Same reason shooters use yellow safety glasses and most driving glasses use a yellow hue. Reduces glare,haze and increases clarity. I find it also makes a noticeable difference in rain and snow driving. Hella,Cibe' and PIAA all make amber fog lights. Some color the reflector and not the glass.
Has a lot to do with how our eyes work. Blue is the most scattered of the visible light wavelenghts.. so taking blue out with a yellow filter helps the eye to concentrate on the wavelengths it pics up better. Polarized lenses work this way. Remember "blue blockers" .. those hideous sunglasses reported to improve vision.. yeah.. just a simple filter on a polarized lens. ;)

only drawback to using any kind of filter on a light source is overcoming the filter when it comes to useable output. That's why yellow bulbs are usually kinda crappy. In order to overcome the filter they over rate them. That leads to melted stuff. :nono:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts