ClubWRX Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
11,611 Posts
this is from perrins website "The PERRIN Intake for 2015-17 WRX is safe to use with bolt-on type mods and does not require tuning when used with stock or off-the-shelf tunes."
Perrin is wrong.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
905 Posts
this is from perrins website "The PERRIN Intake for 2015-17 WRX is safe to use with bolt-on type mods and does not require tuning when used with stock or off-the-shelf tunes."
Wouldn't an "of the shelf tune" be a tune?
\_0_/

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

·
11,611 Posts
It's marketing lingo.

Let someone correct me if I'm wrong, but changing the intake changes the air flow and without adjusting the tables for thr air flow the maf sensor is sending faulty data to the ecu

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,369 Posts
I'm open to challenges to the following logic:

An intake that increases the volume of air entering the engine would also increase the volume of dirt entering the engine if it incorporates a "free flowing" filter. This can be readily assayed with a used oil analysis to look for Si and/or increased wear metals in the engine. I see no benefit to this (I'm being lenient; it's actually terrible).

An intake that does not affect air flow would not require re-mapping the car. However, an intake that does not affect air flow arguably does not affect output, or in fact anything else except perhaps noise and the now-familiar dirt levels entering the engine.

An intake that does affect air flow would require re-mapping the car. However, if the car is going to be re-mapped, I suspect there are dyno data to support simply using the authentic Subaru intake +/- other modifications downstream to increase output. Although this may/may not equal the output available from a "tuned" intake +/- other mods, at least there's less cost and less dirt.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Intakes are a bit depressing actually. Can't we just all forget about them?

·
11,611 Posts
I would agree in general. However most paper filters are capable of flow far exceeding the needed capacity, so an appropriate sized filter for the air flow should leave equal results. So a giant filter is going to be able to have slower flow through because there is a way larger surface area and in theory could be a denser material.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm open to challenges to the following logic:
An intake that does not affect air flow would not require re-mapping the car. However, an intake that does not affect air flow arguably does not affect output, or in fact anything else except perhaps noise and the now-familiar dirt levels entering the engine.
Technically the MAF is taking a reading of air flow over an area, specifically the area of the sensor wire. This is going to be a constant unless you use an aftermarket MAF sensor. What changes is how that is scaled up to the area of the whole intake, at the point where the MAF is located (think 2D plane). If the new intake has the same dimensions at the MAF location and is similar in terms of pipe roughness, the MAF scaling should not need to be tuned.

The biggest issue here is that every car, stock or extremely modified, can benefit from a custom tune simply because of manufacturing tolerances and the need for OEMs to create Maps that are safe for every vehicle on the assembly line

·
Registered
11 Posts
I know the title sounds stupid and many of you may be cringing, but i drove a car recently and it had that turbo sound and i felll in love. I think it has to do with the blow off valve, so i looked up some valves to search find the exact "bwahh sututu" sound but i couldnt. Could someone verify whether it has to do with the blow off valve and if it does, which one can make that noise.
A very easy way to get this very satisfying stututu blow off is simply cutting a piece of metal plate the same shape as your bpv flange, and then put that on the bpv as a blockoff plate so the air shoots back into the turbo instead of through the bov, and the blades will cut against it make the chopping noise. Everyone is going to tell you it’ll ruin your car. Just do some real research and you’ll see you’ll be fine. (Rough explanation I apologize if there are some weird spots and confusion)

·
11,611 Posts
A very easy way to get this very satisfying stututu blow off is simply cutting a piece of metal plate the same shape as your bpv flange, and then put that on the bpv as a blockoff plate so the air shoots back into the turbo instead of through the bov, and the blades will cut against it make the chopping noise. Everyone is going to tell you it’ll ruin your car. Just do some real research and you’ll see you’ll be fine. (Rough explanation I apologize if there are some weird spots and confusion)
I did some real research. The hammering of the air demolishes the bearing. In a race car that has to last hours before a new one is swapped in fine. On a daily driven car its stupid

·
Registered
11 Posts
I did some real research. The hammering of the air demolishes the bearing. In a race car that has to last hours before a new one is swapped in fine. On a daily driven car its stupid
You realize doing anything to change your airflow will ruin the car? Bovs give a PSHH not stututu, maybe a few models can but it’s all from the turbo chopping the air. And believe me your turbo is not weak enough to break under that little stress. Anything you do will fuck the car up. That’s how you do it

·
11,611 Posts
You realize doing anything to change your airflow will ruin the car? Bovs give a PSHH not stututu, maybe a few models can but it’s all from the turbo chopping the air. And believe me your turbo is not weak enough to break under that little stress. Anything you do will fuck the car up. That’s how you do it
I understand you are probably 12, and a troll and your knowledge is pretend. Unblocking this as well. It seems like it might be a trend.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.