ClubWRX Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the title sounds stupid and many of you may be cringing, but i drove a car recently and it had that turbo sound and i felll in love. I think it has to do with the blow off valve, so i looked up some valves to search find the exact "bwahh sututu" sound but i couldnt. Could someone verify whether it has to do with the blow off valve and if it does, which one can make that noise.

·
Registered
919 Posts
BOV = Bad time on these cars... just don't do it. You can get a Psshhhh sound with an intake but that will require a tune.

·
Registered
919 Posts
wont a tune screw with the car too?
You'll need a tune for pretty much every engine related modification with the exception of axle backs/catback exhaust.
A BOV on these cars that are designed to use a BPV can cause a lot of headaches and issues. It's a lot to go through just for some sound and nothing else.

·
Vendor
4,125 Posts
The Bwahh Stutututu sound is actually compressor surge meaning the BPV/BOV didn't vent quick enough or long enough so some of the pressurized air hit the throttle body, when it slammed shut, and went backwards. Back into the outlet of the turbo which usually isn't good for journal bearing turbo's (Most Subaru OEM turbo's are journal bearing).

A BOV on a Subaru is not a good idea. If you want to here the blow off noise of a BPV, the safest way is to get a well know aftermarket intake and get tuned for it. The car will feel a lot better with a "Stage 1" tune plus an intake anyway. Find a reputable tuner first and ask them what brands of intake they like best. If they like a brand better, that means it is easier to tune for and therefore safer for the car.

If you really want that compressor surge sound, go pickup an old tuner car (240sx, Supra, R32 GT-R/GTS-T, something with a 1jz/2jz motor, SR series motor or RB series motor, etc.), put a big diesel turbo on it, delete the BOV/BPV, tune it and have fun. :thumbup:

-Ty-

·
11,586 Posts
That's compressor surge and you don't want that. When the throttle body slams shut the compresed air starts pushing against it and back through the turbo. Bad news.

Imagine sitting on the toilet and the toilet saying, nope too much and shooting everything right back up the old chute. It's basically like that.

Avoid the bov there isn't any tangible advantage for you to put one on your car. the air is already metered and if you vent it out of the system via a bov then you are missing it from the system and the cat will run rich for s period of time post throttle closing. The factory bypass valve is more than enough, and functions as intended.

If you want more of that intake sound buy an aftermarket intake.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
33,822 Posts
Now ... be nice ...

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
I know the title sounds stupid and many of you may be cringing, but i drove a car recently and it had that turbo sound and i felll in love. I think it has to do with the blow off valve, so i looked up some valves to search find the exact "bwahh sututu" sound but i couldnt. Could someone verify whether it has to do with the blow off valve and if it does, which one can make that noise.
Well the safest way to make that noise would probably be to say it out loud yourself every time you shift, as opposed to causing compressor surge, as others have mentioned.

I suppose an external wastegate would at least make the "BWWWWAAAAAHHHHH" noise, but the only external wastegate system I know of for the 2015 WRX is the ETS turbo system, and that's a total turbo system replacement (obviously requires extensive custom tuning): ETS 2015-2016 Subaru WRX Turbo Kit

It's definitely not street legal either, so.... there's that. :p

·
Registered
467 Posts
Mighty Car Mods put a BOV on a non-turbo car using an air compressor.

·
11,586 Posts
They also got the speaker on the Honda and wired it under the throttle pedal so when they lifted it went psssshhhhhh. It was hilarious. The one guy looks so irritated by the sound it's hilarious.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
For External Use Only
3,885 Posts
Set your car on fire, it'll make a crackling noise.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,362 Posts
How do i make the "bwahh stutu" sound on 2015+ wrx

Yes. It's wrong though. The data seem convincing. Can't link via mobile; pls search.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.