ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought an 02 wrx and it had a stage 2 clutch, not sure how long ago it was installed but i was curious if there are warning signs and ways i can prevent further dmg from a dead clutch.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
If your clutch is slipping. Basically, your RPMs shoot up but you're not really moving.

To prevent it, rev match properly during shifting and don't launch your car hard.

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
A worn out clutch is not going to damage anything other than itself.. if it's slipping it's time to replace it.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
You're in Portland? East side or West? I live in Sherwood, so not far. I could just come over and give your car a once over for you if you like. :)

As for the catch thing, that can be true, depending on how the clutch wears. Mine got increasingly heavy and I had to push it to the floor to disengage it at all. If that's what you meant by "lower and lower", then yes, that could be one symptom.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Try this....drive down the road at 25-30mph in 3rd gear. Shift into top gear and floor it and watch your tachometer. Watch where your tach needle ends up after the shift and if the needle drops slightly lower after top gear has engaged(or attempts to engage) you need a new clutch. In other words, if you shift out of 3rd and your needle drops to 1400 rpm when the clutch pedal has been dumped and then drops to 1300 or so after you've floored it, call the doctor-its a goner.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
434whp: thanks! i tried that and it didnt drop when i tried it. my buddy showed me another trick you can try. Start your car and put it in 3rd gear. He told me to slowly let the clutch out untill you feel it about to die, then push the clutch back in and if it catches and and dosent die then its still good. if it dies then your screwed lol.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
i live in milwaukie just south east of portland. yeah i know sherwood. Are you FAIRLY knowledgeable with the wrx?
I know my way around bugeyes well yes. I wouldn't do a six speed swap for you, but can help if you're doing things like swaybars or a downpipe, or just want a general once-over of the car.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well i have a subie impreza 2.5l RS that has been fully converted into a 2.0l turbo wrx.i have the stage 2 clutch and the tranny and rear differentials. stabilizer bars and sway bars are new. But im looking for ways to possibly get better gas milage, and or more horsepower. i know i can do both but would like to c the best options

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
So the WRX engine is totally, completely stock? If so, a Stage 1 tune should bump hp and even mileage (did for me). Up from that is Stage II with a downpipe. You'll also want to replace the catted uppipe if not already.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
im still fairly new but from wat my buddy told me was the the engine ,intercooler, and turbo is stock. but we should definetly meet up sometime and get her goin a lil faster

·
Registered
3 Posts
If your clutch is slipping. Basically, your RPMs shoot up but you're not really moving.

To prevent it, rev match properly during shifting and don't launch your car hard.
Thats pretty much what he said, but i had a funny experience with installing coil overs. I some how pulled out a my back right axle and it engaged a clutch in the def. you can check if that your self but lifting your subie off all fours and make sure all wheels spin when u spin one. good luck.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Try this....drive down the road at 25-30mph in 3rd gear. Shift into top gear and floor it and watch your tachometer. Watch where your tach needle ends up after the shift and if the needle drops slightly lower after top gear has engaged(or attempts to engage) you need a new clutch. In other words, if you shift out of 3rd and your needle drops to 1400 rpm when the clutch pedal has been dumped and then drops to 1300 or so after you've floored it, call the doctor-its a goner.
This just sounds like a way to ensure that you WILL need a new clutch if you don't already...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Dumping the clutch is not the smartest thing to do. You will now when you need a new clutch, when I had my old Toyota the gear would grip in first but it took a lot more time for the car to move forward when in first and even in second. A lot of times I would keep the gas pedal down but Push the clutch in slightly and then quickly let go of the clutch to see if the gear was slipping. A lot of times the RPMS would shoot up and as soon as I let the clutch out the car didn't lurch forward it actually just kept going forward without any gripping. A lot of times your gears are harder to push in or the car is not gripping as well as it should so you have to use more of the gas pedal to try and get the car to move. All of them are telltale signs you need a new clutch.

·
Registered N00b
263 Posts
A worn out clutch is not going to damage anything other than itself.. if it's slipping it's time to replace it.
An untreated slipping clutch can lead to flywheel damage. Warping the flywheel is common from the excessive heat from friction on the clutch slipping.

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
An untreated slipping clutch can lead to flywheel damage. Warping the flywheel is common from the excessive heat from friction on the clutch slipping.

Well yea, but it's already highly recommended to replace the flywheel with the clutch. In that sense, it will also damage the pressure plate to keep driving on it, but since you need to replace it anyways I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
lol clutch is not slipping at alll its grabbin good still. with the stage two shifitng is sooooooo quick and easy. clutch in , shift, let off and boom

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2003 wrx with 140k on it, i usually don't try to put it into to first gear until I am fully stopped but I noticed if I try to put it into first gear it won't go in, until I am fully stopped or atleast under 5 mph.. I wanted to know if the wrx stock trannys have a first gear block or guard if you are driving over 10+ mph.. drove a 2002 and 2005 wrx and it did the same thing.. I'm unsure if it's built like that for safety reasons or what.. because when I am stopping at a light and it suddenly turns green but I'm still rollin, I'm going way to slow for second gear so first is the only option, when I try to put it into to first it takes somewhat of a push to get it into gear.. let me know if anyone else got this same weird first gear thing ..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts