Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Weight transfer during acceleration and braking can cause half of your wheels to unload. This is why my WRX spins her front tires, but not her rear tires when I launch my car at the strip. This phenomenon is called "squatting" when the front tires unload and "diving" when the rear tires unload.

I know that I could just stiffen up my rear springs and prevent this, but then I would suffer more rear bump steer in the corners during normal driving or rallying.

I already posted a thread about rallying, so now, How can aftemarket suspension help me at strip?

-Jim

·
1,911 Posts
An idea that used to work for a friend with his Type R was inserting these special rubber spacers between the coils on the rear springs at the track. Easy to put in and remove, they increase spring rate in the rear by 50 lbs each I believe. He uses 3 or 4 on each side. If you need some I may be able to put you in contact with him although not sure they have anything for the HUGE truck like springs on the WRX.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Another idea might be the Whiteline anti-lift kit. It canges your front end geometry slightly. It adds a bit more camber to the front wheels in addition to reducing the amount the front end lifts (weight transfer) under hard acceleration. I believe it was designed for cornering and accelerating out of turns, but might also work well on the drag strip.

From what I have read (on Scoobymods.com), the kit actually works. I think it costs around $120 from Mofugas.com but cannot swear to that.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I checked out the Whiteline anti-lift kit on vividracing $129. Looks pretty cool. Since I gotta keep my mods low buck for a bit, that looks like a good choice. The other handling benefits look nice as well.

Any effect of ground clearance with that mod?

I'll do some more research and see what I can turn up.

-Jim

·
Registered
306 Posts
I would like to know more about that kit as well. I hate to see some nice fat german cars, walking away from me in "class". It looks like they are not trying at all to push it hard. I hate when my car looks like a boat, nose up, a$$ down. Seriously.

·
Premium Member
11,798 Posts
you pretty much have to look at upgraded suspension components. Adjustable coilovers would be great because then you can stiffen it up for drag racing, and then soften it up for daily driving.

I like that guy's idea of rubber sleeves to insert, but I don't know how safe or reasonable it would be to make.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts