ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 02 wrx that has had a swap, looking to trade it in but the dealership wants proof of the swap. i was told it was an 04 but I am not exactly sure. Any way to lookup the tranny or distiguish what it is by looking somwhere on it, cant find paperwork ;(

Thx in advance

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,219 Posts
The dealers themselves don't know where to look on the car for the gearbox code?!

Or, have they looked but the old code on the body matches the new code on the gearbox?

If they've not looked, they're probably wasting your time. If they have but the codes match, you'll need papers.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Why do they want to know if it had a swap? Will that make it more valuable?

·
29,219 Posts
None of this makes much sense to me frankly. I would caution you to be on your toes in your dealings with them, and/or avoid them if you get a bad vibe.

One example of how this is illogical: Since the have not seen the car, why would a specific part affect the price? Until they see it, there is no price. When they do see it, the gearbox will either work, or it won't. A later model gearbox in an early chassis will not increase the value of that chassis. Are you sure you're getting the full story?

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Do you have any other mods on it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
catless 4" piping umm I cant remember the rest, I dont havetime to mess with it, it needs tuned real bad and theres a misfire issue (imagine that)

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
ohhh...so you're trading it in before you have to fix any of the problems...

well, if you wanna prove a tranny swap...just pull down the drawers and check the plumbing. That will tell you real quick :wiggles:

·
Æternum
20,571 Posts
yeah they want to make sure the glassbox is gone.
That's ridiculous.

First off yes, the WRX received a transmission refresh in late-2002. Not that this matters. To a dealership, a stock car would hold more value. That is, a 2002 WRX with a 2002 transmission would be worth more money. Second, your mod list is ADHD and lacks coherence: a little mod here a little mod there. So, you found a dealership that is willing to trade-in a [poorly] modified vehicle and does not know how to check the transmission code? This all seems very shady to me...

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
Wow, would not touch that car or that dealership with a ten foot pole.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's ridiculous.

First off yes, the WRX received a transmission refresh in late-2002. Not that this matters. To a dealership, a stock car would hold more value. That is, a 2002 WRX with a 2002 transmission would be worth more money. Second, your mod list is ADHD and lacks coherence: a little mod here a little mod there. So, you found a dealership that is willing to trade-in a [poorly] modified vehicle and does not know how to check the transmission code? This all seems very shady to me...
Yeah I get it, I don't have a comprehensive list as I didn't do the mods nor do I have any idea what do with this vehicle as I usually deal with older VWs. I sold the car to my cousin who douched out on me and returned it after frankensteining it and rallying the piss out of it. Family first. Now I obviously came here looking for help, if I can't trade up I will most likely try to fix it or end up bringing it to a shop. So basically what I have been told is this car has been poorly modded and do not deal with this dealership. Taking the dealership out of the equation (and the poor modding) how would I be able to tell what year the transmission is currently in the car? Would you think it helpful (if possible) to part the mods off? I am going to pull the codes, is there a list of codes on the forum somewhere?

Thanks for any response and or help.

·
29,219 Posts
Check the code. It will yield the year range for the gearbox.

·
29,219 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks, you have been more then helpful :thumbup:

Located an exhaust leak but was losing daylight, will probably be back tomorrow to tap the knowledge and feed the trolls.

Thanks again!

·
29,219 Posts
Enjoy the forum. The link in my signature has lots of info too if you're interested.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts