Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok how much difference would their be if I got 215/45/17 vs. 225/45/17 for S-03 tires on Gold Rota Formels? I know wider is better, but how much?

·
Registered
136 Posts
If you wonder how "BIG" 10 mm, or 1 cm, is...it's about the width of your little finger; as far as how much difference in performance there is-wider is not ALWAYS better; your wheel manufacturer can tell you which one is "right" for your wheel.
-Ray

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The wheel is a rota formel with a width of 7.5", it would reduce the diameter of the wheel .5" which would effect the speedo a little bit.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I do know in the miata relm to much is not so good, can't heat them up enough for really good grip. The WRX is most likley heavy enough for this not to be so much of an issue.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
heres the deal though, the S-03s and formels are such a good deal. I will probably burn through these S-03's though this year with auto-x. I am just wondering if it makes a noticeable difference or if its something that will cost me 1/2 a second.

·
Registered
86 Posts
If your wheel is 7.5" wide I would go with the 225's. They will look and handle better. I can't tell you how much time difference there would be between the two but my guess is that its less than a half second. Guys in my class run 215 and 225 azenis on similar cars. I run 225's and beat them most of the time but the guy who is second fastest runs 215's and he beats two other guys running 225's. So, I don't think you will notice much time difference. Maybe a few tenths but its hard to say. Most people have over a second to gain just by honing their driving skills and probalby that much again by setting their cars up properly so I wouldn't worry about a few tenths.

To comment on the tire warming issue that was raised... WRX's are powerful and heavy enough that heating the tires up isn't a problem, even with 225's.

·
Registered
62 Posts
KanosWRX said:
Ok how much difference would their be if I got 215/45/17 vs. 225/45/17 for S-03 tires on Gold Rota Formels? I know wider is better, but how much?
KanosWRX said:
The wheel is a rota formel with a width of 7.5"
The 225s will have a higher (and therefore softer) sidewall. This will give them a slightly superior STATIC contact patch, but the DYNAMIC contact patch will be about the same as with the 215s.

thechickencow said:
I'd go with the 225's, they're a better fit on the 7.5" rim IIRC.
Strictly speaking, the contrary would be the case as a 215 mm wide tire will give you a rim that's almost 89% the width of that of the tire, when a 225 mm wide tire would barely make that ratio 85%.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts