Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend got the G Tech, and we tested my car with it. It said that my wheel hp is 225. All I have performance wise are an exhaust system, and an uppipe. So I'm wondering as to whether this reading is valid or not. Anyone who knows anything, or has used the G Tech, please share your thoughts.

·
Thinking Man's Engine
1,598 Posts
I'm curious how accurate is the G-Tech Pro Competition is, especially their dyno function.

·
Registered
104 Posts
tan said:
I'm curious how accurate is the G-Tech Pro Competition is, especially their dyno function.
We'll find out soon. we have one of those coming in the mail.

we tested WRXin' car with my g-tech pro and got 225 hp.
we got the weight of the car from the door sill, and added 3 ppl's weights in and some for the exhaust and stuff, came out to 3700 lbs.

hp numbers might come out alittle off because of the weight you set in.
but numbers for the 0-60, 1.4 mile, and 60-0 numbers should be very accurate since no weight has to be entered.

after we get the competition unit, will definitely run his wrx again and compare numbers.

I guess the best way to compare the gtech numbers is to run 1/4 at the track and get their numbers and compare it to the gtech reading.
for HP, since the gtech takes into account of wind resistance/drag, and other factors, it may be higher then the numbers from the dyno where the car is stationary.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I think its best used as a tool...I run it a couple of times in just second gear, and then after I make a mod, I do it again a couple of times. Then you can get % change.

There are so many factors in that thing, that it is hard to do a full 1/4 mile and get what you would on the track and dyno. When I run second, I use the same stretch of road every time. It's hard to find a flat place to do a 1/4 mile around here.

With that in mind, I think it is really accurate. If you could find a flat stretch of road, and your perfectly level before you launch, and you have a good, secure mounting for the G-tech, your numbers would match the dyno and track 1/4 mile.

·
Super Moderator
1,991 Posts
TeamShiftPoint said:

We'll find out soon. we have one of those coming in the mail.
(The above was referring to the Comp model)

Let us know what you think as soon as you get to give it a try. I am ready to order one, but wrote to them with a couple of questions. Haven't received an answer yet.

My problem is I'm using a Mac, so doing hte downloads and flash upgrades will be more difficult. I can run the software, as I have a Windows ME emulator, but I only have USB and Firewire ports, not a 9 pin serial. I wanted to find out if it will be recognized by the software if I use a 9 pin to USB converter.

·
Registered
104 Posts
smorris said:

(The above was referring to the Comp model)

Let us know what you think as soon as you get to give it a try. I am ready to order one, but wrote to them with a couple of questions. Haven't received an answer yet.

My problem is I'm using a Mac, so doing hte downloads and flash upgrades will be more difficult. I can run the software, as I have a Windows ME emulator, but I only have USB and Firewire ports, not a 9 pin serial. I wanted to find out if it will be recognized by the software if I use a 9 pin to USB converter.
will do.

where are you ordering the competition model from? if you order it from somewhere other than Tesla/gtech, they will not give you product support. they are suppose to release their new software in acouple months.

if you are planning to order, you need to call up Tesla to order the comp. model. it is a separate line from the one that you call you order the regular Gtech Pro.

·
Super Moderator
1,991 Posts
Yep, right from the source was my plan. That's where I saw the note about flash ROM update to be downloadable later and the included, normally $50 extra PC software. $349, IIR

Thanks

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
RPM:

Engine RPMs are sensed directly from the cigarette lighter voltage. No installation required at all with this true plug and play feature. The unique RPM feature is used for anything from realtime torque measurements to shiftlights.
:eek: :confused: :eek:

·
Super Moderator
1,991 Posts
VetteVert said:
Thanks for the links, VV. I just read 199 Yahoo posts (and about 100 pop up ads :mad: )

After that, I think I'll wait! Not accurate RPM below 2-3000 RPM? No G meter in the "G" tech? No manul alignment input? Not as accurate as the regular model on 1/4 mile times for almost double the price? Looks like there is still a lot of development time left. Does Microsoft make these; letting the paying public do their software testing for them? :D

Interesting conversation you were having there with the guy about 1/4 times? I thought you were going to have to climb through tour monitor there and whack him on the head with a stoopid stick!:confused: I don't think he ever did get it. Reading through the forum he created, it looks like he was the most knowledgeable until the forum started to really grow in about September. I think he started getting lost in the crowd after that and was having an ego attack. Seen that happen here a few times, too...

Thanks again. Maybe I'll get one to play with, but let's see how well the software works next month, first.

·
Registered
383 Posts
hehe. I lost interest once he started calling me a bigot and such. That added so much to the "intelligent" conversation :rolleyes: .

I believe I will do the same. I think the product will eventually be good, just not now. I think the technology is in side the box to make it very good, but the software isn't there yet. Only time will tell for sure I guess.

VV

smorris said:

Thanks for the links, VV. I just read 199 Yahoo posts (and about 100 pop up ads :mad: )

After that, I think I'll wait! Not accurate RPM below 2-3000 RPM? No G meter in the "G" tech? No manul alignment input? Not as accurate as the regular model on 1/4 mile times for almost double the price? Looks like there is still a lot of development time left. Does Microsoft make these; letting the paying public do their software testing for them? :D

Interesting conversation you were having there with the guy about 1/4 times? I thought you were going to have to climb through tour monitor there and whack him on the head with a stoopid stick!:confused: I don't think he ever did get it. Reading through the forum he created, it looks like he was the most knowledgeable until the forum started to really grow in about September. I think he started getting lost in the crowd after that and was having an ego attack. Seen that happen here a few times, too...

Thanks again. Maybe I'll get one to play with, but let's see how well the software works next month, first.

·
Registered
202 Posts
When I used a friends gtech pro on my old TTZ for 0-60 , 1/4 times and then went to the track, we found it was pretty accurate. within 2/10th's of a second and that could well be simple driving variances. for other measurements you have to have accurate inputs and car weight is such a difficult one to get exact..where the hell do you weigh your car with you in it and X amount of gas ect? all you can do is approximate and that wont give you accurate figures. I think it is really most useful as a tuning tool to see if a specific mod actually did anything or not..certainly cheaper and easier than going to a dyno every time!

·
Registered
202 Posts
VetteVert said:
At the Landfill or Truck weigh station. You can even get a receipt of your weight at the landfill for your records...

VV
hmm, no landfills around here. I will look into finding out about a truck weigh station. Any idea how accurate they are? Would hope to within 20lbs or so, but I have no idea since they must be calibrated for weight many many times over our piddly little 3k lbs. Thanks for the info, at least that is something to look into!

·
895 Posts
i **really** want that gtech pro competition after seeing all the sweeet stuff it does :D

but where do you mount it? i know normally it has that suction cup thing that sticks it to the windshield, but i don't want it there, especially if its gonna be hardwired and in my car the whole time - any ideas?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I mounted it low, on the ashtray, since I didn't want to be fooling with it when I was driving.

I have a spreadsheet on the yahoo groups that maps out all of your data from the log file. It is pretty sweet! Let me know if anyone has any issues with it or wants to see any changes.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I believe the resolution on most is 20lbs, so you get within a 20 pound window. You gan go up or down 20 lbs in a few gallons of gas, so I think it is close enough. The scales have to be calibrated every so often (due to regulation), so they should read consistent. Especially landfill weigh stations. I believe they may have a finer granularity than 20lbs. Weight difference is how they determine what to charge, so you know it's going to be as close as they can get it :p

VV

twinz said:

hmm, no landfills around here. I will look into finding out about a truck weigh station. Any idea how accurate they are? Would hope to within 20lbs or so, but I have no idea since they must be calibrated for weight many many times over our piddly little 3k lbs. Thanks for the info, at least that is something to look into!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts