Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, i've searched and searched on this one just to become even more confused. I've posted a couple of threads over at nasoic, but didn't get the answers i need.
So here it is, I bought a 03 jdm wrx sti non ra 6mt transmission with dccd, but i don't know if it has a limited slip front differential?

I've read that every sti 6mt for 03 comes with a lsd front differential, but then some people say it is optional.

Another thing i'm confused at; are there two different types of limited slip differentials for the front or just one (suretrack vs. viscous coupling?!!)

Trans id number: ED-TY856WB3KA

Thanks
Brent

·
Registered
878 Posts
serious said:
Hi all, i've searched and searched on this one just to become even more confused. I've posted a couple of threads over at nasoic, but didn't get the answers i need.
So here it is, I bought a 03 jdm wrx sti non ra 6mt transmission with dccd, but i don't know if it has a limited slip front differential?

I've read that every sti 6mt for 03 comes with a lsd front differential, but then some people say it is optional.

Another thing i'm confused at; are there two different types of limited slip differentials for the front or just one (suretrack vs. viscous coupling?!!)

Trans id number: ED-TY856WB3KA

Thanks
Brent

I am fairly positive that is has a suretrack front LSD.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, i'm pretty sure at this point it does too. After searching around for a good 3-4 hours one night i figured this out: Sure trac IS an option-NOT standard on the regular sti in japan with the 6 speed mt. If you have dccd then you have suretrac and also have a 13.0:1 quick ratio steering rack. You probably won't have the oil cooler lines that go to an external oil cooler, unless somebody put it on there as an aftermarket deal.
Brent

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
LSD is standard on the USDM STi. Not sure of the type. Be aware that the USDM model is pretty different from the JDM model and that any option packages offered in Japan are unlikely to be offered as a package in the US.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I don't think you can get DCCD w/out front lsd. Not 100% sure about that though.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What do you mean the jdm model is quite different from the usdm model? The 6mt is the same transmission-except for the gear ratios of 5/6th gears.

My posts here was for a jdm 6mt from a 03 sti non ra. Of course the packages will be different between the jdm and export models.

If i'm right, then you can't get a dccd transmission with out a lsd in the front from jdm land. You can however get a RA version with no dccd but still have the lsd in the front diff.

I'm referring to 6 speeds in this post, not any of the other tranmissions subaru has out.
Brent

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
I just mean that all the options, etc. are different. So you were saying that if you got the option package that included DCCD you also got the suretrac front diff and quicker steering rack. That's not how the USDM option packages are laid out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts