ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be moving into the Houston area in like 3 weeks and I would like to see if anyone in the area knows of a good dyno and tuning shop and I would like to meet up with the locals.

--Jake

·
Registered
123 Posts
Local Dyno

Yo Jake,

Excellent choice of color and vehicle! Welcome to H town. As far as local dyno's, there is one right down the road from me. See info below. I haven't tried them but I can hear an occaissional dyno run. For years I thought there was a drag strip within a few miles. Who knew there was a dyno so close....and to think I use to drive to Dallas!

http://www.turbochargers.com/

Turbochargers.com
5410 Burr Oak Drive
Houston, Texas 77092

Normal business hours M-F 9:00am TO 6:00pm CST

Tech Line: (713) 681-1111

Order Line Toll Free: (800) 749-7111

Fax: (713) 939-1111

AWD Dyno & Tuning

2WD $100/hr
4WD $150/hr

·
Registered
68 Posts
I am holding a tuning session by AZScoobie on NASIOC from Arizona, in Austin, TX at MZM. The reason I don't use turbochargers.com's dyno is because I simply don't like the dyno, the service or the prices.

By the way, there's no "tuning". They don't have anyone there to tune anything. When was the last time you heard a fast car come out of there?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hmm.. that is true. The only fast car that I've seen is that Yellow SRT-4 that they had... which blew something. When do you plan on going to MZM Performance to go tuning? I'm interested.

·
Registered
68 Posts
battousai said:
Hmm.. that is true. The only fast car that I've seen is that Yellow SRT-4 that they had... which blew something. When do you plan on going to MZM Performance to go tuning? I'm interested.
Yeah I'm heading to MZM on July 31st.

The Yellow SRT-4 wasn't even tuned by them.. the only reason it sports the sticker is because he gets his parts from TC.com. I am good friends with the owner of the yellow SRT-4, and I was hleping him tune his car out once on the first motor.

If you're interested, shoot me a PM or give me a call at 832-816-2320.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey, this is David, the guy with the black wrx asking you questions at Tan Tan Restaurant on the night of the Supras. My car probably isn't worth tuning right now, I was hoping you would be going a little later closer to Fall. And I can't go on the 31st cause I have work. But its all good, I can go another time.

Should I wait and get some engine management before I go tuning? Cause I'm not really sure what to buy, and I'm not the one that wants to waste money.

·
Registered
68 Posts
battousai said:
Hey, this is David, the guy with the black wrx asking you questions at Tan Tan Restaurant on the night of the Supras. My car probably isn't worth tuning right now, I was hoping you would be going a little later closer to Fall. And I can't go on the 31st cause I have work. But its all good, I can go another time.

Should I wait and get some engine management before I go tuning? Cause I'm not really sure what to buy, and I'm not the one that wants to waste money.
I don't think anyone wants to waste money. You have to have some sort of engine management in order for you to get a tune. If you get an UTEC I can get you a rough road tune to get you going. It'll be nice and safe, but I won't be able to extract the most power without the dyno.. but it'll be close.

Another option is the AccessPort or the ECUtek reflash. I personally like the UTEC due to it's safety features, and it's tuneability.

If you have any other questions let me know.

Wally

·
Registered
123 Posts
FWIW, I only mentioned Turbochargers.com because they have an AWD dyno. Not sure that anyone else in town has one? I didn't mean to imply that they could tune a WRX. As a matter of fact, I haven't heard of any official Subaru "tuners" in Houston.

·
Registered
68 Posts
mark5211 said:
FWIW, I only mentioned Turbochargers.com because they have an AWD dyno. Not sure that anyone else in town has one? I didn't mean to imply that they could tune a WRX. As a matter of fact, I haven't heard of any official Subaru "tuners" in Houston.
There are no "official" tuners in Houston. A friend and I do road tuning for UTECs at a flat rate per hour, and he has the software to do an ECUtek reflash if you're interested. I believe we are the only ones here.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've got a question about those that you mentioned: Utec, Accessport and the ECUtek reflash. What all do they change? Just boost levels and fuel curves or is it more then that? I guess I am wondering if I can do the same thing with a boost controller and a SAFC-II?

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
im going with big turkey july 31st to get my wrx tuned at mzm, F8ck turbochargers they blow balls :rolleyes: , the blew my brothers friend mr2 motor and they didnt tie it hard enough on the dyno so it flew....they suck

·
Registered
68 Posts
MileHighWRX said:
I've got a question about those that you mentioned: Utec, Accessport and the ECUtek reflash. What all do they change? Just boost levels and fuel curves or is it more then that? I guess I am wondering if I can do the same thing with a boost controller and a SAFC-II?
ECUtek and Accessport, if I'm not mistaken, take over the fuel and timing values of the ECU but still allow the ECU to learn and adjust accordingly, while still reading off of the knock sensor and everything.

UTEC takes over boost, fuel and timing. It actually reads off the knock sensor and will sense knock and pull timing accordingly.

You cannot control timing with the SAFC II, but you can control fuel values. But how come not alot of people run a SAFC on WRX's, you ask? Because the stock ECU stops listening for knock after 5400 RPMs.. so if you knock above that RPM the consequences can be catastrophic.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the heads up!! I think I will be going with a COBB stage 2 reflash because I dont think I will need all the fine tuning that the UTek and the Accessport have.

·
Registered
24 Posts
well.. AccessPORT isn't really fine tuning. Its more of a plug and play... with no need for any tuning, you just download the new premade maps. Are there any shops that can tune for AccessPORT yet?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Umm... yeah basically. With the AccessPort, you're able to reflash your ecu as many times as you want with off-the-shelf maps. They just came out with the AccessTuner, but I don't really know how that works yet.

You'd probably get a lot more out of your car with a UTEC of course, but the AccessPort is probably a simple engine management solution.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts