Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,884 Posts
Is that the grinding noise or your roaring exhaust?

If that’s the grinding something is way jacked. Do you have any other odd symptoms when shifting or accelerating?

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
So it's only during deceleration? To further what XJ said, maybe check all of your exhaust joints to make sure there are no leaks or even rattles in your muffler. Any power loss? Any new mods lately or mods period?

Youtube a couple videos of grinding noise during deceleration. It's probably not a problem exclusively to Subarus.

For example, one guy replaced a driveshaft bearing. My first thought was something drivetrain or transmission related. You're going to have a lot of suggestions in all of the comments. Don't limit yourself to only Subaru sources. That's pretty much all I can offer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its a grinding noise the second i get back on the gas or put the clutch in it goes away and it shifts like butter and zero hesitation while accelerating

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes only on deceleration the exhaust was my thought at first all the joints are good and tight no leaks and i dont have any muffler for it rattle

·
Super Moderator
10,884 Posts
I don’t hear grinding in either video?

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
It's more like a rattle than a grind. You can hear it as soon as the gear wine lets up. I remember this sound in my 13, which is seems like the issue. Or, maybe just the nature of the beast. The comments indicated that this is more common with that generation. Mine was audible, but it didn't bother me. It made the car feel more rugged.

I can't tell if the issue is really that loud or if it seems louder on the audio recorded devices. When I had the popping sounds in my 15 STI some of them could barely be heard by me, but my phone picked up the sound better. This was especially true when I set it on a solid surface. The OP's rattle seems a lot less than the other youtube videos I've heard. I'm curious if the OP or these other users have aftermarket shifter bushings or shifters, especially since I can hear a lot of gear wine in quite of few of the videos. There's a reason Subaru doesn't use as firm bushings as aftermarket options.

I almost wonder if there's any possibility of the rattle being a consequence of the ****ty throw out bearings in the 3G. Mine was really gritty and made a little noise. Although it doesn't seem like it would make any noise when the car was moving and the clutch was engaged. My mechanical knowledge is very limited.

OP, your 'issue' may be more of a consequence of lack of sound deadening and an aging car, which will only get louder. I remember my 3G being incredibly loud. Again, I didn't mind it since I knew what I was getting into and I appreciated the rugged car that I hadn't had up to that point. My best advice is to get used to it. I wouldn't see it as a problem unless it gets worse. My second piece of advise is to call your local Subaru dealership and speak to an adviser. Maybe this is something where a worn part is replaced that won't effect the driveability, but it will simply quiet down the drive-train.

I have nothing else to offer.

·
Super Moderator
10,884 Posts
Yeah it sounds to me like a combination of gear whine and tob noise. I’m not hearing a grind sound, or what I would consider a grind sound.

·
Registered
352 Posts
This reminds me of a question I have been meaning to ask. The 17 wrx & the 16 sti I have are my 1st 2 subaru's as well as my 1st performance & turbo cars. I have always been somewhat sensitive to my cars sounds. The wrx made lots of "exciting" sounds, like all the whooshing when under boost, as well as some less desirable sounds like the click clack under the hood. The sti makes way more noise & I can't figure out what is meant to happen or what could be possibly wrong.

My sti was a certified pre owned so it was checked by the dealership & I paid a mechanic to look at it just out of paranoia , both said it checked out. I still kind of want to get it checked by a performance shop just to be sure but currently lack time.

One of the sounds I have been curious about happens every day I work. As I get off the highway I rev match/ds into 5th just before I exit then rm/ds into 4th to drop from 60 to 40. Durring this time there is a sound that could be described as grinding but it is not picked up well on my phone mic. In my head I can picture this as the sound of gears both moving together but not having consistent force on each other creating a kind of chatter. I also can hear my trans while accelerating and at some points while driving. Normal or not?

Overall the car just sounds more mechanical & everything makes noise. The brakes squeak a bit, the tires/ suspension augment road sounds, engine & exhaust. Its way different than an average car but what is ok & what is not? I feel like a lot of these sounds are things carmakers work to hide & I traded polish for performance. Its hard being new to this type of car because these sounds can be hard to pick up & if they are normal they wouldn't come through easily in vids online. Also, being subtle, its hard to "point" them out.

Sorry if I was off topic

·
Super Moderator
10,884 Posts
Honestly transmission stuff I almost have to hear in person to identify it. My wrx didn’t make any noise outside of gear whine while decelerating

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
This reminds me of a question I have been meaning to ask. The 17 wrx & the 16 sti I have are my 1st 2 subaru's as well as my 1st performance & turbo cars. I have always been somewhat sensitive to my cars sounds. The wrx made lots of "exciting" sounds, like all the whooshing when under boost, as well as some less desirable sounds like the click clack under the hood. The sti makes way more noise & I can't figure out what is meant to happen or what could be possibly wrong.

My sti was a certified pre owned so it was checked by the dealership & I paid a mechanic to look at it just out of paranoia , both said it checked out. I still kind of want to get it checked by a performance shop just to be sure but currently lack time.

One of the sounds I have been curious about happens every day I work. As I get off the highway I rev match/ds into 5th just before I exit then rm/ds into 4th to drop from 60 to 40. Durring this time there is a sound that could be described as grinding but it is not picked up well on my phone mic. In my head I can picture this as the sound of gears both moving together but not having consistent force on each other creating a kind of chatter. I also can hear my trans while accelerating and at some points while driving. Normal or not?

Overall the car just sounds more mechanical & everything makes noise. The brakes squeak a bit, the tires/ suspension augment road sounds, engine & exhaust. Its way different than an average car but what is ok & what is not? I feel like a lot of these sounds are things carmakers work to hide & I traded polish for performance. Its hard being new to this type of car because these sounds can be hard to pick up & if they are normal they wouldn't come through easily in vids online. Also, being subtle, its hard to "point" them out.

Sorry if I was off topic
You're going to hear a lot of drivetrain noise with your STI. It's normal. I love it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts