ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did try to search this before and couldn't get the exact same problem diagnosed. I have an stock 04 w/1500 miles on it, and the steering wheel vibrates like a mofo and I mean pretty bad when I brake. It does it at relatively slow speeds as well(30-40mph) Does anyone else have this problem. I just want to make sure that I'm not the only one, and maybe the stock brakes just suck

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I have the same issue and I know it's the rotors...because when you look at my rotors there are distinct non-concentric (ie moving from center outwards) lines on all four rotors.

The vibration is way worse with more people in the car adn at greater speeds. Sometimes hardly felt when I'm alone.

If it happens only at high speed cruising, then the problem may be dirt in teh wheels making your wheels unbalanced. That happened to me too after a dirt road stint.

I'm struggling w/ brake upgrade ideas. So many to chose from...

Hg.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I had the same problem and took mine to the dealership with 33k miles and they machined all four rotors free of charge. The problem was fixed and the brakes feel so much better at all speeds now. Got this done when I got my new clutch from the cold shudder issue. David Pilgrim at Ed Voyles has been great to deal with and I would defiantly recommend him to anyone in the Atlanta area.

·
Registered
888 Posts
QuickSilver said:
I have the same issue and I know it's the rotors...because when you look at my rotors there are distinct non-concentric (ie moving from center outwards) lines on all four rotors.
I'm confused. Are you saying that the lines on your rotors are running from the center to the outer edge? Are they straight lines or jagged (look like cracks)?

·
Banned
12,156 Posts
i'm running stoptech slotted rotors, and i get a little vibration when braking.

it could also be unbalance wheels, and it's just more prounounced when braking. it could also be buildup on the rotors (from non use)

can you turn slotted rotors?

dR

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
driggity said:
I'm confused. Are you saying that the lines on your rotors are running from the center to the outer edge? Are they straight lines or jagged (look like cracks)?
They are fairly straight and there's like 8 lines per rotor. I hope they are not actual cracks. I haven't taken it apart yet.

Hg.

·
Registered
878 Posts
i was about to make a new post on this as well, this is my story... i got my car with 34000 and it was fine no shake what so ever no a few weeks back before i changed my rotor to slotted the shake started happening so i thought that i was the rotors that were warped so i got new one from stoptechs and the problem did not go away, so then i noticed that i lost one of the weights on the right wheel so i got them balanced. The feel was much better but at about 80 mph when i put the brakes on i still could feel that there was some shake so i figured that my old potenzas were at fault. Today i got a brand new set of Pirellis Nero Zero M&S and went to put them on told the guy to balance them as well. Now i took it for a drive and still the shake came back but now sooner at 60 the steering wheel starts to feel shaky and when i out the brakes on i get a hand massage. So i get out of the car and noticed that on the right side front and back the wheels seem to be balanced but on the left the weights are missing. Now i am thinking that either he didn't do the balance so i have to take them off and see wheter the weights are missing all together or whether he put them on the inside. No if he did what the hell is going on? Anyone got a solution to this ? My mom's car has the same problem but wheel balancing seems to fix the problem for a while and then it comes back. When i got the car i went 100 mph could of times broke hard and it was fine, what the hell is going on??????? Anyone pleeezz?:confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
878 Posts
oh yeah when i brake the shaking is much harder up untill 60 mph you dont feel any shaking even when braking, plus my rotors are brand new i bedded them in properly so they can't be warped can they? wouldn't the shaking be all the time when braking if they were? i am so annoyed at this

·
Registered
142 Posts
Its either ur rotors or you need you wheels balanced and aligned, not sure which one but it seems more like its the rotors that are causing the problems, have it checked out

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
stock rotors

could the stock rotors be warped from the factory? I havn't done any driving in mud and I'm pretty confidant that the tires are balanced, so I don't think it's either of those problems. I figure I'll just take it to the dealer, just wanted to see if this was a rare case or if other people are experiencing the same thing. thanks for the help

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Rotors warp when they go through heat cycles quickly. This can happen if you take a spirited drive and heat up the brakes followed by a trip through a puddle. The dealer should be able to turn the rotors (machine them) to eliminate the vibration unless they are too warped to be machined flat again. They you get to buy new rotors! I'd go with DBA's.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
To add some logic (well my logic anyway)

If you have unbalanced wheels/tires, then I would speculate that you would get vibration all the time, especially worse at higher speeds. NOT JUST during braking. Think about it.

Virabtions during braking ONLY would indicate that a component of the braking system other than teh tires and wheels are at fault.

You get noise and deep grooves if something is caught between pad and rotors.

You get excessive heat and noise if your apds stick to the rotors.

I would speculate that vibrations during braking only is likely from some uneven surface between the pad and tehe rotor...ie warped rotors.

does this make sense?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts