Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When I went to purchase my WRX a month ago I went in telling the dealership that I was mearely looking at the Rex and wasnt sure I was going to buy it. They sat me down, had me fill out crap and told me "Its a done deal sign here and your off!!!"

Excellent, after a year and a half I got my Rex. Everyday for the past month its been something new. Oh, Matt, come down and sign this, or take this off the Celica (my trade in) or do this. Last week I was informed (after 3 weeks of having the Rex) I needed a Cosigner. I figured OF COURSE IM 20!!! So I get my co-signer. Yesterday I get a phone call from Timmons Subaru in Long Beach to bring my Co-Signer in to sign paper work. As I walk in they proceed to take the keys out of my hand and tell me they are taking the car back.

I was like WTF, if something isnt right you don't give someone a car. Its been a month and you are just now running into problems. WTF!!! They screwed up BAD. The worst part of all is they had me dismantle my Celica so they could sell it so now its stock and I sold all the aftermarket pieces to friends for next to nothing.

One guy at the dealership felt bad for me. They gave me a VW GTI VR6 to drive for a week. My mother (works for a law office) is going down there tomorrow to try and find out what the hell went on!

BTW: The Financing guy that did my deal is no longer with the dealership :rolleyes: Go Figure. So there is a huge chance my dream is going to end. This last month though has been some of the best weeks of my life. Thanks to this board for all the support.

If I lose the Rex I might get a GTi 1.8t. I don't know what the hell to do with it nor do I care at this point. I don't want my Celica back, and at this point id rather get everything back and goto another Subaru dealership.

BTW: The Rex has 2100 miles on it so they now have a used car in there inventory.

-Matt

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
wow...i dont know what to say, that really blows. good luck with having your mom figure stuff out...this is the kinda thing that warrants legal action...not cars gay a$$ clutch suing saga :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Man, I feel REAL bad for ya Bro!!!

I would look at some serious legal counsel!

IF the car was in your (or cosigners) name it IS your dam car!

If you missed payments, or insurance cancelled or other I can see the deal,...........

BUT, if that sht is clean, then I WOULD get my MotherF...... CAR BACK!!!!!!!

Sorry man!
Shotgun

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Do you have title?

·
Registered
74 Posts
If they finance deal was never bought by a lender then the car is still the dealerships and was never titled out to you. Even though it has 2100 miles the car will probalby be sold to someone else as new with little discount. You might want to check your credit report because I bet they have a ton of inquires from the dealership sending your info to everyone under the sun to try and get you financed. They get you driving the car people seeing you in it and then they figure if they can't finance under your name then you will move heaven and earth to try and get that car back. This is one of the reason I always go through my bank then there is no way for them to screw you, my bank called me back in 2 hours to tell me that they would finance the full amount of my car and a dealership will no the same thing before you leave. Unfortunately you probably don't have any legal recourse because the dealership probably had you sign a spot delivery form which says if you aren't financed within a certain amount of time you have to bring the car back or else. I hope everything goes well it is a really sucky tactic that they use to get you to buy the car and they usually prey on the young knowing they have parents to hopefully back them up. Good luck.

Tony

·
Registered
178 Posts
Really feel sorry for you.

Thats so wrong what they did to you.

How can that actually happen, surely the finances has to be approved first before they hand you the keys to the car. Well thats how it happens here in Australia.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Aust-WRX said:
Really feel sorry for you.

Thats so wrong what they did to you.

How can that actually happen, surely the finances has to be approved first before they hand you the keys to the car. Well thats how it happens here in Australia.
yeah thats what I thought too!!! :eek:
no way you can drive away in a car here unless you bought it

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The financing was approved. They are claiming the payoff wasnt the same amount. To me, they should have checked the payoff BEFORE THEY MADE THE DEAL!!! And the biggest thing is I stripped my Celica of $6000+ in parts and sold them to friends for a $1000 bucks. I let go the only set of Apex-i Coilvers in North America for 500 bucks, a Titanium exhaust system for $500 bucks I mean come on. This bites. My mom says though that we have rights because they forced me to remove the parts from my car so I sold them (being as I have a new Rex) so there you go full retail value, I had to take all the pieces off my self in the Timmons parking lot because they didnt want to do it even after the deal was done (3 days of missed work), pain and suffering of having a car and buying parts for it for a month ($200 bucks for an up-pipe, 275 for a BOV, and wages for pain and suffering), Plus I called a local newspaper today and they were thrilled with the idea of cutting down on incidents like this. So Timmons Pay or the public will know. The funniest thing of all still to me; is the guy that made the deal is no longer with them... wonder why I wonder why. I might just return the car, hope that they pay me for missing parts and my time and get another car.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Similar thing happened to me.

When I bought my 2.5RS a couple years ago, they called me up about 2 weeks later and told me that the financing fell through. I almost sh*t my pants, but the lady told me she'd keep trying different lenders. So for a few days I was freaking out, wondering what the hell would happen. Then I got a call from her, and I was ready for the bad news, and she told me she got it financed, and good news, the rate was lower than what they quoted me.

I couldn't believe it, I still to this day don't understand why one bank would turn me down at a higher rate, and another bank would take it and even cut the rate. I think the dealer just runs a little program to tell them what they can probably get you, then they quote you something a little higher, get you to agree, then out the door you go while they auction off your title to the highest bidder. I don't think the rate they quote you (now in hindsight) is anything near what you could really get if you just went to a couple banks. Live and learn.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I may sound a little ignorant here, but how does a dealer give you a car without having financing already? I just bought mine about a month ago and had to go through the regular old stuff......negotiate a deal.......fill out paperwork.......wait for the dealer to get financing approved.......go back in to sign contracts and pick up the car. I always thought that this is the only way it worked unless you pay cash for it. I can't think of any other situations where a business will give you their product and basically say "we'll worry about paying for it later, and if you can't, oh well, we'll just take it back."

·
Registered
74 Posts
Are you sure that you are approved? Why did they have to get a consigner? If you are 20 you problably don't have enough credit yet to buy a 24k car by yourself let alone a 32K+ (or whatever they are charging for the Zs). What did the dealer tell you. They had to give you a reason. The dealer isn't financing you the bank is and they are the ones that won't let you carry over to much negative equity and if that is the case the dealer would have called you and asked for more of a downpayment I would think. That is what they tired to do to me at the ripe age of 19. Is this your first car that you have ever financed? What it sounds like is that you didn't have enough established credit and they wanted you to bring in a cosigner and you did. Who were they a friend an older relative someone with good established credit? At 20 it is unlikely that you have more than a couple thousands dollars of credit that you have used before probably in the form of credit cards and you are asking them to lend you over 20k for a car it just not likely to happen. You know how much the car is so go to the bank that you have a checking/savings account with and see what they can do for you and get your car back. Good luck I have seen many friends that are a few years younger than me go through the exact samething.

Tony

·
Registered
18 Posts
dude take the Z! lol, that sux, you definetely could sue cuz if you sighned everything and they sighned everything than its a done deal. if anyhitn you can get money outta them by suing them from "emotional turmoil"

·
1,379 Posts
Holy cow, that's a first.

I had the dealer call me back the next day and ask for additional downpayment once, but to call you and ask for a cosigner, and when you get there to take the keys from your hand... wow. Brutal.

So you say you're approved, do you have some sort of statement from the lender saying they lent the amount? It sounds like you're saying that a 3rd party lender lent you an amount less than the selling price, and the dealership was going to finance the balance? Like, 23k purchase price, and the lender decided they were willing to finance $15k, but no more?

Anyway, good luck getting everything straightened out, that sucks man. :(

1 - 17 of 17 Posts