ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I made a post in the new member area but it seems this is also an appropriate place to get some help. I've rummaged through quite a few of the faqs as well (excellent forum, I can tell.)

Anyway, looking to possibly get out of the Mustang world I've enjoyed for almost 5 years to try out something new, and love the idea of a WRX.

This is the ad: Used 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX For Sale in Easley & Greenville SC | 11CB6807B

I've already deduced that buying one already modded is probably bad, especially if it's all stock with a new BOV. (Bear in mind I am pretty uninformed when it comes to owning a turbo'd vehicle.)

Are there any commonplace issues to watch out for? I'm gonna try and take extensive pics to share and get advice on it (definitely not going to drive off in it tomorrow, for sure.) and would like to have some know-how when it comes to inspecting it. I know the basics, just nothing of specifics when it comes to WRX or any turbos in general.

All opinions and advice are most welcome.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Make sure the vehicle has the stock heat shield in place over the turbo/downpipe. Usually a modded vehicle that's been returned to stock will be missing this, so it's an easy way to tell if it was modded.

Do you have a mechanic you trust? I'd highly recommend getting any used vehicle purchase inspected prior to buying it. If you don't have a mechanic, then find a local shop that's reputable and have them inspect it. It'll usually cost you maybe an hour's labor or $100, but it could save you thousands, and also spare you stress/headaches.

Make sure you check all the wearable components like brakes and tires, also how old the battery is. Try and get a clutch replacement history on it, plus any other maintenance records you can. In general, people that keep their records tend to take better care of them than people that throw away all their records. Make sure the tires all have the same amount of tread and that they're the same exact brand/model of tire.

Take it for a long test drive over curvy/bumpy/slow/fast roads. A 20 mile test drive is probably a good amount. Mix it up between city and highway driving.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot for the post, it helped. I looked at it today, going to drive it tomorrow probably. Everything looked pretty good and the engine bay looked stock, I'll post up pictures as soon as I get them uploaded in a sec here.

I am really torn, like 50/50 (HARD), on the decision of trading my Mustang in on this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Engine bay: Did my best :p

Exterior:

Inside:

Questions: Is that the stock boost gauge? And is the Momo logo in the steering wheel stock or a sign of modification?

·
Registered
54 Posts
It looks good, looks stock. The boost gauge and momo wheel are stock. I am a mechanic. I think this is completely stock.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
That engine bay is very clean. Good sign, and no apparent signs it was ever modded (but it still could've been). The interior/exterior look great too. I'd still get an inspection done by a mechanic.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts