Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey kids- just put my hood scoop screen in this weekend- it looks great- if anyone is planning to do this, wear gloves when working with the aluminum- I got a few jagged pieces stuck in my hands and they were like trying to remove fish hooks- sweet looking (and cheap) mod though!
Jedimaster Jim

·
Thinking Man's Engine
1,598 Posts
There's a nice discussion on this also over on Edmunds Townhall.

The cheapest way to go to Home Depot and buy some aluminum mesh and cut it to size.

·
Banned
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Uh huh- that's what I did- but once you cut it, watch out for the rough edges of the aluminum- Home Depot had it for, like, $4 and change.

·
Banned
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't feel it's too restrictive at all- no power loss or anything, and if it keeps my intercooler safe, I'll take a little less airflow- I was thinking of adding an air diverter, but I'mnot sure if this is a gimmick- anyone wanna chime in? Jedi

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
sounds real gimmicky to me. someone show me a smoke test of our current setup, and how inneficient it is, then i'll consider.

dR

·
Banned
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know what you mean- the stock scoop takes in the air and then the intercooler is sealed against the inside of the hood- so where's the air gonna go? Right to the intercooler, it's not like the air gonna go in the scoop and make a loop and go back outside of the car- I'll steer clear of the air diverters.

·
Registered
0 Posts
i too put mesh in my scoop but i did mine after i pulled that diverter permenently. i fell i get better flow to turbo housing and whole intercooler not just the fins.:D

·
Registered
161 Posts
You are DEFINITELY restricting air flow with a scoop mesh. I have one on the STI scoop because I didn't like the way the diverter looked when the hood is closed. I may have to remove the diverter and the screen for maximum performance speciallly if I go to the track. Plus that thing is heavy and you'd think you have a carbon fiber hood almost with that thing off.

·
Registered
14 Posts
does anyone have any suggestions for the under scoop... I wish it had some mesh to match the grill because i think that it doesnt exactly look clean when yoiu take a good look at it suggestions

·
Registered
907 Posts
Air dividers are somewhat effective, but did you guys see the price on those? Damn expensive! I think Ill stick with not getting one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sherb said:
You are DEFINITELY restricting air flow with a scoop mesh. Plus that thing is heavy and you'd think you have a carbon fiber hood almost with that thing off.
Actually I find it hard to belive that 1/4" diamond pattern expanded aluminium is significantly restrictive or heavy, though i've no hard numbers on this data.....

nick

·
Registered
161 Posts
jt money said:
... i pulled that diverter permenently. i fell i get better flow to turbo housing and whole intercooler not just the fins.:D
My bad guys, I was typing too fast. I meant this air diverter seemed heavier than the whole hood itself. The diverter that seals the intercooler with the hood, black metal thing.

As for the hood scoop screen, yeah its light, but you will obviously get some restriction, don't you think?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Sherb said:
....I may have to remove the diverter and the screen for maximum performance speciallly if I go to the track. Plus that thing is heavy and you'd think you have a carbon fiber hood almost with that thing off.
You miss quoted me LyveWRX :). The heavy part I was talking about was the diverter, NOT the screen.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sorry.....

Sorry bout that,

Yeah any time you put interference in a flowing passage you will cause some restriction. If any one can figure out the total
X-sectional area of the scoop and the total real area of the 1/4" diamond mesh figuring the % of the restriction shouldn't be too hard...

nick

·
Banned
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't think the percentage of restriction is relevant- mostly it's does the intercooler still do what it's supposed to or not? In this case it does, so keep the screen and keep the intercooler free of dents- that's what I'm gonna do anyway...

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Somebody posted something about (forgive me) a fin comb to straighten out the intercooler dents etc. Anybody know anything about that?

·
Registered
424 Posts
I got a couple of bent fins while taking it on and off for the uppipe install. I figured I'd use a flathead screwdriver to "fix" them. After making another 1 or 2 fins worse, I decided I'd let them be. That is some SOFT aluminum!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts