Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!
Im new here and my WRX is my first sports car. Well my first car ever. Ive owned 4 trucks before but living in Canada with our high gas prices, feeding large engines wasent cutting it anymore.
Anyway. I love my scoob, and I do have some mods which makes it look sweet.
To get to my Question. On occassion I like to drive at high speeds, ( just for a short bit with no traffic around) and I have noticed at around 120mph the hood looks like it trying to lift off!!!
When I look at the scoop, its bouncing up and down and scares the hell out of me and I quickly slow down. I had the dealer look at it and they said the latch looks ok.
They told me, air coming in the front through the front scoop at such high speeds is causing extreme postive air pressure.
Still, I dont like it at all. anyone else have this problem? and I was thinking about installing some hood pins ( they look kwel too)
just to make me feel better.:cool:
thankyou in advance for your help/concern.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Are you talking about the bonnet hood scoop?

If so, when I first got my car (MY01), there was a general re-call about bonnet scoops flying off at speeds (200km/hr + ), and they said bring the car into your local dealer, and they will check which pins you had, and if they needed replacing. My car was ok.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aust-WRX said:
Are you talking about the bonnet hood scoop?

If so, when I first got my car (MY01), there was a general re-call about bonnet scoops flying off at speeds (200km/hr + ), and they said bring the car into your local dealer, and they will check which pins you had, and if they needed replacing. My car was ok.
mmmmm NO. the dang mess is going up and down like a fish outa water, the hood, the scoop attached it it
LOL ( maybe its a sign!! ) stay under a 100 :rolleyes:

·
Registered
847 Posts
haha that takes some nerve to take your car to the dealer and tell them "uh yeah...my hood seems like its going to fly off when i get around 120mph,is this normal?"

·
Registered
71 Posts
busterz said:
Hello everyone!
Im new here and my WRX is my first sports car. Well my first car ever. Ive owned 4 trucks before but living in Canada with our high gas prices, feeding large engines wasent cutting it anymore.
Anyway. I love my scoob, and I do have some mods which makes it look sweet.
To get to my Question. On occassion I like to drive at high speeds, ( just for a short bit with no traffic around) and I have noticed at around 120mph the hood looks like it trying to lift off!!!
When I look at the scoop, its bouncing up and down and scares the hell out of me and I quickly slow down. I had the dealer look at it and they said the latch looks ok.
They told me, air coming in the front through the front scoop at such high speeds is causing extreme postive air pressure.
Still, I dont like it at all. anyone else have this problem? and I was thinking about installing some hood pins ( they look kwel too)
just to make me feel better.:cool:
thankyou in advance for your help/concern.

i have noticed the same thing not while driving but as a passenger. i have taken my car up to 130ish and never noticed the hood "shaking/lifting" guess i was to focused on the road but on my recent trip down to florida i had my brother driving. i would say we were doing 90ish and i noticed the hood "lifting" bouncing up and down. we stopped and checked but couldn't find anything wrong, my guess was that being the hood is made of aluminium it would flex at that speed.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
well ive never noticed my hood about to fly off and ive been up to like 140...but the scoop looks like its going to rip off.....wanna know why? cause its essentially plastic! haha and of course its going to flex at those windspeeds!

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
You know those tattoos of the girls in grass skirts that look like they're dancing when you flex your muscles? Maybe we could paint something like that on our hood scoops and it would dance when the scoop shakes lol...

-snowcat

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
snowcat said:
You know those tattoos of the girls in grass skirts that look like they're dancing when you flex your muscles?
What a terrible idea for a tatto!!! :eek: :(

·
Registered
265 Posts
I notice it when travelling 2-lane roads and passing a truck going the opposite direction. Looks like the scoop is about to come right off.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hmmm.. Hadn't had mine over 100 yet. Looks like I have research to do.
Anyway- would the air splitter make the hood scoop more aerodynamic?
Also- Would the bigger STI scoop be even worse at high speeds because it's bigger and catching more air?

thanks

Rick

1 - 11 of 11 Posts