Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up guys,

I had just picked up a black/silver STI exactly a week ago and had a blast with it already. Having said that, compared to my previous car the RX7, it's probably comes up a bit short. Anyway, here's my take on it :

Daily driving : STI no contest. The RX7 was loud, stiff, and a bit of a hassle to get in and out. The STi also has a good size trunk, that's a plus. Anyway, the absence of a radio irks me a bit too, but now I'm getting used to it.

Performance driving : RX7 no contest. Here where I live, there are lots of winding backroads, very much like those mountain backroads in Japan where drifters abound and the RX7 just kick ass. Granted it has full coilover, upgraded bushings, etc. but I think stock vs stock it's still a no comparison as the stock R1 suspension the RX7 came with is pretty good already. That car just exudes confidence and handling is so high up there. Anyway, what's comforting is that all the other STI rivals(Evo and G35) are not far from the STI. The Evo is just a touch better at turn in and the G35 is way behind the STI/Evo in pretty much every aspect. I wonder what the handling verdict would be between STI/Evo if both were equipped with coilovers as I felt the Evo has noticeably stiffer spring/shock than the STI.

Chick factor : RX7 no contest. Damn, I miss the 7. I'm doin more than OK with the ladies, but with the 7 you'd have to be a gay/hardcore nerd if you can't score. The STI still attracts attention though, sadly more of it are stares from 15-20 yr old 2Gay 2 Curious crowd.

In the end, if my RX7 wasn't stolen, I probably wouldn't have bought this car. But the added practically, the fact that I don't need a daily beater, and incredible performance in just about any weather convinced me this is the car for now. I'd definitely buy another 7 in the future though, and keep the STI as well. :)

Take care,

·
Registered
878 Posts
First, welcome to the club, I'm sure you will enjoy it here.

Second, great choice. You have yourself a fantastic automobile to replace an equally fantastic one. There is tons of information on this forum that can help you get acquainted a little better with your new ride. Ladies like 4 wheel burnouts :)

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hmm, well Im not sure how much these two great cars warrant a comparison, they both have turbos and four wheels and thats about where the similarities end. Also keep in mind that your RX-7 sounds like it was quite a bit modified, but even with alot of mods the STi is still going to be a big(relatively) sedan and your RX a light compact sports car, there will always be inherent differences in how they behave and just overall feel to drive. My last car was a 92 300ZX, and my STi is nowhere near what I could do with it, probably never will be, but I got the STi because of its differences compared to the 300ZX, not its similarites, and I wouldnt bother trying to compare them:wiggles:

·
Registered
313 Posts
My last car before my STI was a 94 RX7 . I like the STI better hands down in every aspect ! Just my personal opinion . My RX7 had 335 hp @ the wheels and ran a 12.8 @112 . I was fun but I had to work on it every week or so due to broken or cracked vacume lines . Other problems arose and since I live in Maine and there are no shops that work on RX7 , I was out of luck when it came to the big fixes ! In my opinion the RX7 is NOT a practical daily driver but was really fun when it ran right ! It got tons of stares and peole talked about it all the time but I dont buy and build cars for the girls or stares from other people . My STI is great for daily driving and I have run 12.6 @ 107 and it puts down 277 hp @ the wheels . When it comes out to play this spring it will have 350 hp @ the wheels so it should be even funner than it is now . I cant wait for winter to be over ! :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well,

Last time I checked the 300ZX TT weighs 3400-3500 lbs, that's a good 200-300 lbs more than the STI. So, I'm not sure what you meant by the STI will never be what your 300ZX was. Don't get me wrong, but I think 300ZX is a notch lower than STI/Evo level and FD RX7 is at the same level as STI/Evo as well as Skyline and NSX. That's why I compared them. ;)
By your logic, I guess we can't compare the STI to 350Z, RX8, Cobra, G35, M3, etc.

BTW, my GF said she enjoyed the attention of those 15-25 yr old morons whenever we took the car.:mad:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dizastical,

where in Maine are you ? I'm in Southern NH.
Anyway, FD RX7 is not a car for a beginner in every aspect. You have to know the car, mechanically inclined, and fairly knowledgable about cars... period. I did have some problems with the 7, mostly heating issues, but face it, it's a 10-12 yr old car. Things break down. And instead of fixing those vacuum lines, you should've gone to non-seq and say goodbye to boost problems.
And I didn't get the 7 only for the stares, as a matter of fact I went auto-x it 4-5 times a year and did 3 open track events so far. Beating Corvettes and hanging with Porsche 911 Turbos in the track while still be able to pull chicks in the weekend is a good combination, don't you think ?

If you think the STI is better in every aspect and moan about fixing it, you shouldn't have bought the 7 in the first place.:rolleyes:
hehe.. sorry, but some RX7 owners I've met couldn't appreciate what the car is for and bought the car because of 2F2F. For you, I think your experience with the 7 really prepares you for high performance cars in general. Don't be hatin the 7 now.

·
Registered
90 Posts
How many motors have you gone through :D ...jk

I know a few people with fd's and two of them are selling them one already did and the other is tired of all the problems he's having. Another guy I know his car is down for a while till he can get money for a rebuild....but I think you made the right choice on the STi :thumbup:

·
Registered
518 Posts
wrxpaul said:
How many motors have you gone through :D ...jk
Honestly, high HP rotary engines are disposable and are treated as such.

How about wet traction and snow driving? Brakes? Bad roads?

I'd take a stock STi over a worked RX-7 anyday. They are awesome drift cars though.

-Jim

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How many motors have you gone through ...jk
hehe... none.. I'm pretty good in tuning Apexi PowerFC.

I know a few people with fd's and two of them are selling them one already did and the other is tired of all the problems he's having. Another guy I know his car is down for a while till he can get money for a rebuild....but I think you made the right choice on the STi
Yeah, the car definitely has its quirks. No detonation, no overheats, bla2. Good thing, I've had some experience with cars in general and have a reliable second car.:D hehe.. that really helps when the radiator on the 7 blew up and I gotta wait 2 weeks for the Fluidyne.
Yep, the STi is definitely the right choice vs Evo, G35, and RX8.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
As for the handling and confidence while driving the sti just needs some more springs under it, weather its from coilovers or just stiffer springs it helps a whole lot. But of course the rx7 has a huge weight advantage, and is designed from the start for peformance so it does have a edge in that.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I loved the car when I had it even though I had to fix it alot ! I had do the non-sequential setup on it but I never eliminated all of the vacume lines that I didnt need anymore . The person that had the car before me did not keep up with the mantinance so I was left with a nightmare of fixes here and there . So anyways you are right . You have to know the motor in and out to own one . I learned a lot from it . I am mechanicly inclined . I have done four motor swaps in Honda and Acuras . Three super chargers and one turbo kit . I do all the work on my STI . I have myself as one with the STI ! ;)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
dizastical,

cool... I know I learned a lot about turbo cars in general from working around the 7. We should get together sometimes, I don't see many STIs around here.

afpdl,

Yea I figured as much. Do you know what the stock spring rates of STI and Evo ? When I test drove the Evo it does seem to be stiffer(maybe even stiffer ride than the stock R1 RX7) or maybe it's just my imagination. Being the STi as new as it is, what coilover does everybody here uses mostly ?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Stock spring rates for sti are 188f 173r. I have no Idea what the evo rates are but Im sure its more. Im using JIC coilovers with 7k(around 400?) front 5k(around 283?) rear. For $1600-$1700 shipped you can get JICs top of the line model with any spring rates you want, and valved and gassed to your specifications/or intended use. I just got the stock valving and rates because I got them for 1300 shipped.

Im not saying they are THE coilover to get but I really like them for many reasons. They are all aluminum, save a bit of weight over the stockers. 45mm diameter strut, easy to customize, and what I like best about them is they adjust from the mounting point not the spring perch, so going lower does not mean more preload on the springs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts