Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok well im going home in 2 days, and whenever im home i need to do a car project, so im going to change all my dash lights and all that to that sweet blue color i love so much, but i had the idea of making a short ram intake or somthing. What size tubing should i get for this...like 3 inch? or bigger? Do they sell this kinda stuff at home depot or am i going to have to order it online, and just do it christmas break? I am going to need to weld some sorta thing on to attach the maf sensor or somthing, however i do not have a welder...i do have a mapp gas torch which ive melted plenty of types of tubing with...could i still weld with this if the tubing is aluminum or somthing. If not i could probobly figure out some other way to mount the maf....but my major concern is finding the tubing...any suggestions? Hopefully just home depot has it.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I was thinking about using my [email protected] panel filter and cut a square out of the bottom of the stock intake box (just the right size to keep the filter from falling out).

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
My custom intake consists of K&N Panel Filter, Akimoto 7" Velocity stack (inside fender well sealed into Airbox) and I sealed the snorkel to the fender well also. I think this set works great and the sound is really awesome. Total cost was less than $70 and I am very happy with it.

-joe

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im having a really hard time understanding what you guys mean....from what im getting your saying to cut the whole bottom of the filter box off? so that you could basically look in the bottom of the box and see the filter? wouldnt that suck in a lot of hot air? Or no since its right next to the headlight? Actually who cares....turbo. But am i getting the idea right?

·
Registered
298 Posts
aaronwillen said:
im having a really hard time understanding what you guys mean....from what im getting your saying to cut the whole bottom of the filter box off? so that you could basically look in the bottom of the box and see the filter? wouldnt that suck in a lot of hot air? Or no since its right next to the headlight? Actually who cares....turbo. But am i getting the idea right?
I measured the intake temp after I did this and pretty much as soon as I start moving the air intake temp drops to the ambient temp of the outside air. This is becasue the vents on the bumper force air into the fender, which vents into the engine bay when you remove the snorkle.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I did not cut my box at all, I just took out the resonator, and put a velocity stack in the fender well. The velocity stack is locked into place by friction alone, it fits perfectly. I sealed the snorkel to the fender and that is it. Here is a crude drawing, ask me any questions that you may have.

-joe

·
Registered
94 Posts
Most of the ?-Club crowd have been getting their stacks from Summit Racing. They are made by Akimoto and are usually like 27-30 bucks shipped. It is almost identical to the stack (maybe it is identical) that comes in the WRXfX intake kit. Only like 1/4 the price though. Search ?-Club for the part number to order.

jb

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
A velocity stack is a piece of aluminum that is formed into the optimal shape for the flow of air. If you take out your resonator, you need a way to get the air from the fender well into the air box, and the velocity stack connects the two spaces and gives you increased and optimal air flow dynamics. The Akimoto 7" is about $22 from www.summitracing.com and it fits perfectly. In addition to the upgraded panel filter, you cannot really get a better setup for tame HP cars, once you go into huge HP setups then you will see the advantage that a Blitz SUS short ram will give, but on a basically stock car, this is the best set up IMO. The only other things that I would recommend after this would be the zerosports pipe and one of the silicone inlet pipe on the market, Samco makes one as well as BPM. Then you are talking big money for minimal gains, but they both look really sweet. On a budget, I would say this is the best intake, unless you can get your hands on a wrxfx intake, which is basically the same thing, but I think they are hard to come by.

-joe

·
Registered
266 Posts
I did a hack with a cone filter, I had my friends dad cut up the stock air box into a perfect tube. Removing the surrounding box that holds the square filter. He is a master jewler, so its very accurate. You look the stock box, un-replairable. but it is a very cheap way of getting a short ram, and it holds the stock sensor in the right place. Here's a picture of my engine bay, its on the left side. :)

http://www.exxtreme3d.com/involute/wrx1/100-0027_IMG.JPG

·
Registered
559 Posts
Where i can buy the WRXFX intake??
is it very expensive??
is it worth it?
Thanks
Tuca

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
The wrxfx intake is just a Foam filter, a velocity stack and a plug for the hole left by the ram air. You can collect all the parts seperately or buy it from a vendor on nasioc.com for over 100 dollars. Just go to nasioc.com and search for wrxfx intake to see who sells them.

Alex

1 - 14 of 14 Posts