ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is just a general question....

Um...will the hks downpipe and uppipe fit on a 2004 wrx? On the hks webpage it says 02-03 so im not sure, but i bought one anyway thinking they cant be differnt.

·
Registered
128 Posts
they fit

·
Registered
128 Posts
my answer is not a guess. my friend works at hks and he gave me a list of parts for the 04 wrx, which includes those. don't worry guys. they fit. of course i would be wrong if i was informed by my hks friend wrongly. but how likely would that be?

·
Registered
5,825 Posts
i got them on..i love it ...i also got a injen sus catback...and no reflash...wrx drivers who have gotten rides in my car think it pulls much harder than it should with just those mods i'd give them a :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^^ thats awesome - i cant wait to get my uppipe and downpipe installed. I already have a 3" catback, so hopefully it will be like a new car again, haha.

·
Registered
342 Posts
sorry for hijacking this thread but i know there has to be this comparison on these threads before but i need to know which is a better up/down pipe combo the hks or the helix because the helix is 3 inch and the hks is 2 1/2 so i'd think the helix right?

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
from what i've heard, there both even until you start to run a massive amount of power.

but - i have the HKS and hoping it will work well with the COBB stage 2

·
Registered
42 Posts
... and when you are running massive amounts of power... the larger pipes are better..... right?

So, hmm... probably better to go with the bigger ones now since they are equal and going to be better in the long run... what other brands of up/dp are 3" and good quality value?

·
Registered
128 Posts
i just installed the helix up and down pipes last friday. it's mated to the evo2 that was already on there. noticeable power increase? none. but the power delivery feels super smooth now. before as stock, the car only pulled hard above 5k. under that, it had sort of a lurching/hesitating acceleration. just for the smoothness of the power, i love the new parts. no leaks by the way.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know this will get many peep's panties in a bunch, but here goes: The HKS parts are pretty much the lowest quality I have ever seen for the Impreza AND out of HKS. They are mild steel.... the up pipe has no flex joint... the downpipe isn't belmouth and gets even smaller than 3" at the flange. I found a decent power gain with the Helix (which seems to be a copy or manufactured by RSR). Using a bell mouth or divided wastegate dump will give you much better high rpm flow and boost control. No flex joint = up pipe leak. I am glad to be rid of the HKS downpipe. No offense intended.... just my experience.
-Kevin

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
So has anyone actually experienced a noticable increase in power on the butt dyno using an HKS downpipe with a stock turbo? Or does the restrictive nature of the flange negate any gains made by the removal of the cats?

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
At stock levels, there isn't really a noticeable difference. Once you start to mod further, the blank plate design of the HKS will start to become a power restriction.

Like I said in an earlier post, why people want the HKS downpipe when the ERZ bellmouth is the same price is simply beyond me. Take advantage of this great deal while it lasts, guys!

·
Registered
187 Posts
so you are saying that just because it isnt bellmouth im going to lose the 15-20 hp that i would have gained from a bellmouth? that cant be right, im still removing 2 cats?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts