Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im planning to get a Uppipe & downpipe for my Sti, I can get this new HKS uppipe and downpipe for 300 bucks, DOes anybody have this set up ? Should i buy this, or get other brand?

I already installed HKS BOV(my 1st mod)

SHould i change the Sti exhaust also and put a HKS exhaust?

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
NO NO NO.

Bad idea,

1. You do NOT need an uppipe on the STi...

2. HKS's downpipe is lacking a bellmouth/divorced wg style "entrance" and hence is not very suitable for high power.

Use the money you were gonna blow on both to buy a NICE quality DP i.e. invidia, TXS, etc.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
thanks, for the info..

I might just go with indivia downpipe, any advise on exhaust? should i just stay with the stock one?

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Pn01EsxtixAyx said:
thanks, for the info..

I might just go with indivia downpipe, any advise on exhaust? should i just stay with the stock one?
Pleny of advice on exhaust. Look around on the site. What do you want out of it? As far as volume/tone/looks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
how does the HKS BOV sound?.....is it slightly high pitched?....i would love a sound clip if you could get one...i have a turbosmart one..its pretty loud...but only a whoosh sound and no high pitched noise.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I believe the STi exhaust in its stock form is pretty much a straight through design, so I don't think it is very necessary to change to something like the HKS design, since you are planning on getting a downpipe anyway, you've already eliminated a big bottle neck in the system unless of course you want to performance look and sound that only an aftermarket exhaust could give you. The STi has a catless uppipe so you don't really need to get an aftermarket one, I am not sure how the flow characteristic differs between the stock piece vs. an aftermarket uppipe, but I can't imagine it being too drastic.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for all the info guys, I ordered the invidia DP for $375, Is there a difference between the 02 WRX and the 04 sti downpipe? HOw much do you think the labor is to install the DP to Sti?

Ill just keep the stock exhaust for now. and wat Intake is good for Sti? can you guys give me some choices.

thanks, in advance:)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Good to know things worked out for you. You could probably do the downpipe install yourself, just be sure to get some new gasket to pervent leaks (do it once and do it right that's my motto).

Not sure about intakes, though CAI are not recommanded (IMO) for the WRX anyway as the stock ECU has a hard time dealing with new readings from MAF. I know you have a STi, I'm not sure if there are intakes design specifically for the STi, though I am guessin WRX intake would work.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wer can i buy the gasket for DP?

also, i want to lower the car, im thinkin of buyin either the prodrive or TEin lowering for the stock struts.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I am sure you can get a gasket from the dealership service department or from God (www.godspeedinc.com), God is really knowledgable in this kind of stuff, I am sure he can tell you EXACTLY what you need to do the install yourself.

Just so you know Prodrive springs will not lower your car all that much but it would greatly improve the WRX handling, they are really good springs (made by eibach) and they work well with stock struts. So if you are really looking to drop your ride height, Prodrive probably won't do it for you. Tein S Tech are decent, but i think Verdugo had them before his coilover and they started to sag just a little after 1 year, so I would recommand doing more research before getting them first. Other good lowering springs are H&R, eibach Pro kit, Intrax (less known on clubwrx.net). For best handling, make sure your springs works well with the strut damping rate.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Pn01EsxtixAyx said:
thanks for all the info guys, I ordered the invidia DP for $375, Is there a difference between the 02 WRX and the 04 sti downpipe? HOw much do you think the labor is to install the DP to Sti?

Ill just keep the stock exhaust for now. and wat Intake is good for Sti? can you guys give me some choices.

thanks, in advance:)
Good choice, i'm not aware of any fitment issues.

You can reuse the stock dp gasket, it's not a big leak area, just make sure your torque everything down.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks,,

YOu guys know which spring has 1.5-1.25 drop for sti? How many inches drop for the Tein?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I believe tanabe spring are 1.8 front 1.3 rear. The front actually looks a little higher than the rear stock so this .5 inch difference gives it a pretty aggresive stance. Plus you still have good clearance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts