Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Subaru WRX Limited Hatchback 5MT
523 Posts
I was recently in this position and looked at several different options. What you want to look at is twin-tube vs monotube, inverted, fixed perch vs adjustable, ride height adjustability range and top hats to name a few.

I had considered the HKS. They are inverted monotube with a threaded (adjustable) perch, so you can change ride height without changing suspension travel.

I know KW is a popular option, but to my surprise the V1 are twin tube, so not inverted, and have a fixed perch. The height adjustability will differ between the two.

Some will allow a max ride hieght of -1.5" from stock, whereas some will be +1.0". Depending on your needs this makes a big difference. From what I remember the KW use your stock rubber top hats so should be more comfortable than metal ones like the HKS. But I've read the most recent HKS coilovers were designed on American roads i.e. crap roads so are supposed to be very comfortable. HKS claims they are made in their factory in Japan whereas KW are made in Germany. A few years warranty with HKS vs lifetime with KW.

Of course there are all the other options too. Some are available for only GD vs GR vs VA. I went with H&R, which are essentially rebranded Bilsteins. So do your research and see what fits your needs.

·
Registered
2010 Subaru WRX Limited Hatchback 5MT
523 Posts
My pleasure :)

See there you go, you need new top hats. So price also needs to be considered which I forgot to mention.

Which brings me to why I chose H&R. I really wanted the HKS, but they were backordered and about $600 more. For the age and condition of my car I personally didn't think it was worth the investment. I was going for best bang for buck.

Another thing attracting me to the HKS was the spec sheet, which was very detailed. That translated to me as quality.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts