Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently came acrossed a used HKS EVC (the orig. model) ... the one with the Low/High/Manual boost settings. I'm having some trouble installing it. I was wondering if anyone could help? I've read this post: http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/Forum9/HTML/001762.html, and have tried to follow the instructions ... but the photos no longer work.

Here's where I'm at:

I have installed the "HKS unit" in the car near my drivers seat. Ran the harness into the engine compartment. Installed the HKS solenoid near the intercooler. Hooked up the power wire & ground. I'm having trouble figuring out where to tap the 3 new solenoid vacuum lines though. I tee'd the 1st vacuum line (the one that needs an uninterupted source) to the manifold. There is a nipple off the manifold that connects to a black circular plastic piece, near the alternator. Here's a pic (taken from projectwrx.com)

Is this the correct spot?

I followed the instructions for the 2nd & 3rd solenoid lines.

"Second hose: 6mm vacuum goes to the turbo body. If you look now you will see a vacuum hose coming off the turbo body and one off the actuator which both join together with a tee pipe. Pull both of these hoses off and the t-pipe and cover up the hose that's left with some tape. Fit the 6mm hose with filter to the turbo body and the Third hose: 6mm hose without filter to the actuator which is the goldy/brass coloured piece attached to the turbo via a bracket."

The only difference in my installation is that I plugged the line with a bolt, instead of using tape. Also, the Original EVC only requires one filter. Unfortunatly, I don't have the filter though. I'm currently using a small in-line fuel filter ... is this okay?

When, I drove the car ... the car made a different sound then stock ... more of a turbo swooshing sound. The boost level on my gauge almost went to 20 psi in third gear at low rpm / full throttle. I then got a check engine light. This was with the HKS EVC on ... set to low boost (I set the low boost setting to the lowest possible). Also, the lights are supposed to flash sequentially on the HKS unit ... this did NOT happen.

When I installed my autometer boost guage, I tee'd off the line that goes to the stock blow-off valve near the intercooler. Is this okay. The boost gauge works ... but when under boost I hear a fluttering/grunting sound. When I removed the boost gauge ... the car sounds normal. Does this mean there is a leak.

Last, when I returned the car to stock (reset battery to eliminate check engine light & removed HKS boost controller) ... the boost gauge only shows ~7.5 psi stock. This can't be right? Why is the boost so low? Perhaps I need to reset the ECU? Or does the boost gauge line have a leak? I'm using a silcone vaccum line off the boost guage (followed instructions from scoobymods.net)

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks Much

AdamITR
'03 Silver WRX Sedan
'00 PY ITR Race Car

·
Registered
785 Posts
I'll help with what I can.

AdamITR said:

I'm having trouble figuring out where to tap the 3 new solenoid vacuum lines though. I tee'd the 1st vacuum line (the one that needs an uninterupted source) to the manifold.

Is this an uninterupted source? This source goes from vacuum to boost. Not sure what HKS means by an uninterrupted source.

There is a nipple off the manifold that connects to a black circular plastic piece, near the alternator. Is this the correct spot?
This is where I have my boost line that goes to my Blitz SBC-id tapped.
The only difference in my installation is that I plugged the line with a bolt, instead of using tape. Also, the Original EVC only requires one filter. Unfortunatly, I don't have the filter though. I'm currently using a small in-line fuel filter ... is this okay?
The bolt is fine, that's what most of us plug ours with. Not having the filter may be the problem, but I don't know.

When, I drove the car ... the car made a different sound then stock ... more of a turbo swooshing sound. The boost level on my gauge almost went to 20 psi in third gear at low rpm / full throttle. I then got a check engine light. This was with the HKS EVC on ... set to low boost (I set the low boost setting to the lowest possible). Also, the lights are supposed to flash sequentially on the HKS unit ... this did NOT happen.
The swooshing sound you're hearing is probably your new solenoid, but you should NOT be boosting to 20psi, that's bad.

When I installed my autometer boost guage, I tee'd off the line that goes to the stock blow-off valve near the intercooler. Is this okay. The boost gauge works ... but when under boost I hear a fluttering/grunting sound. When I removed the boost gauge ... the car sounds normal. Does this mean there is a leak.
That spot is fine for tapping for the boost gauge. Not sure about your sounds because I can't hear em.

Last, when I returned the car to stock (reset battery to eliminate check engine light & removed HKS boost controller) ... the boost gauge only shows ~7.5 psi stock. This can't be right? Why is the boost so low? Perhaps I need to reset the ECU? Or does the boost gauge line have a leak?
This sounds like you have your lines reversed somewhere. Did you go back to the stock hoses and unplug that bolted line? If so, you probably have your lines reversed. I think there is an inline restrictor in one of the hoses, so you probably just have it backward. This post is a model of why you should have a boost gauge. :eek:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.