Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
oh yeah.....is the hks catless downpipe crap? (the 175 dollar one or whatever it is) and will it match up with a godspeed uppipe

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
Depends on what you define as "crap" :) Here's my review on it:

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7404

It's definitely not the best out there and you won't max out your potential, but for only $175 it's definitely not "crap."

Oh yeah and your downpipe doesn't connect to your uppipe, so it'll be fine.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Generally speaking, for the price, it's hard to beat. I can't speak for the welds, but this is some stuff that it has going for it:

1) Replaces downpipe and midpipe
2) 75mm (~3 in.)
3) Will mate up to stock midpipe
4) Has O2 bung
5) Is SS
6) Is HKS
7) Is cheap!

Some downsides:
1) No built-in CEL fix
2) No flex joint/donut gasket provisions
3) No bellmouth/wastegate dump tube
4) Is HKS

So it's really up to you to decide what it's worth to you. I should be receiving and installing mine today. If I choose to, I will purchase some mandrel bent piping (<$50 from JCWhitney) and get a dump tube welded on (hopefully <$75 ??)

In that case, I should hopefully have a dp w/ wastegate dump tube for < $300 shipped which will mate up to the stock midpipe, which can't be beat right now.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
gryphon said:
Generally speaking, for the price, it's hard to beat. I can't speak for the welds, but this is some stuff that it has going for it:

1) Replaces downpipe and midpipe
2) 75mm (~3 in.)
3) Will mate up to stock midpipe
4) Has O2 bung
5) Is SS
6) Is HKS
7) Is cheap!

Some downsides:
1) No built-in CEL fix
2) No flex joint/donut gasket provisions
3) No bellmouth/wastegate dump tube
4) Is HKS

So it's really up to you to decide what it's worth to you. I should be receiving and installing mine today. If I choose to, I will purchase some mandrel bent piping (<$50 from JCWhitney) and get a dump tube welded on (hopefully <$75 ??)

In that case, I should hopefully have a dp w/ wastegate dump tube for < $300 shipped which will mate up to the stock midpipe, which can't be beat right now.
Aaaaahhh...I just can't get myself to go catless. I tried to lie to myself and say I'd do it, but I can't. Let me know how the smell of the gas goes gryphon. I'm so tempted to go with the Stromung two piece downpipe so that I could have one cat. I know it's only 2.5" as opposed to the HKS and Godspeed 3" DPs, but it's a sacrifice that I THINK I'm willing to make for the sake of having a cat.

·
Registered
166 Posts
OK, just installed it tonight... took me about an hour to uninstall the stock dp (damned O2 sensor) and about 15 mins to install the HKS.

Wow... the sound with the stock catback is just mean! I liked it... I got the car to chirp the tires for the first time with FOUR people in the car (including myself)! I was quite happy! The real test will come when I'm by myself and I can really test it.

As far as any smell goes... to be honest, I didn't really notice one... and I sat idling for 15 minutes in the darned Jack 'n' the Box drive thru... *shrug*

But I will be getting a high-flow cat to place after the downpipe as my next mod... I do believe in some emissions restrictions....

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Verdugo said:
Oh yeah the gas smell has gone away for me too...
That's cool. Surprising, but cool. My only experience with a catless car is my friends 400hp RX-7. It's obnoxiously loud, and smells like a gas truck tipped over and spilled gas all over the place. I'm glad to hear that our cars don't behave the same way under similar modifications:).

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
From what my friend told me, he could tell from behind me that I was definitely catless by the smell, but it wasn't REALLY strong or anything. In the cabin, the smell is totally gone :)

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Verdugo, did you ever figure out whether that sound you were hearing was a leak?

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
WRXin' said:
Verdugo, did you ever figure out whether that sound you were hearing was a leak?
Yeah, it definitely wasn't a leak...it was the downpipe itself. I asked the guys who tuned my unichip about it and they said there wasn't anything wrong :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
ya but does it match with a godspeed up-pipe?

I have an HKS carbon-ti catback exhuast on my car now and i just ordered a godspeed up-pipe and an hks downpipe. Will all of these items fit together ok? Will i get a CEL and do i need my unichip remapped?:confused:

·
Registered
166 Posts
The uppipe has absolutely nothing to do with the downpipe except that they are two parts on the same system. They are not directly connected and in no way interefere with each other physically.

It's like me asking if I can get a particular air filter if I bore out my throttle body.

For the record, I have a Godspeed uppipe, stock turbo and now HKS downpipe for exhaust components.

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
Re: ya but does it match with a godspeed up-pipe?

GasolineAlley82 said:
I have an HKS carbon-ti catback exhuast on my car now and i just ordered a godspeed up-pipe and an hks downpipe. Will all of these items fit together ok? Will i get a CEL and do i need my unichip remapped?:confused:
You probably will get CEL eventually, and yes you'll need your unichip remapped for at least Stage 2 in order to work well with a completely catless system.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts